FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Companion name change on award ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1958253-companion-name-change-award-ticket.html)

danola Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm

Companion name change on award ticket

My traveling companion cancelled on me for a trip leaving March 4th. It is DL domestic and has KLM segments, to and within Europe, for which I had to pay to upgrade to Economy Comfort. I want to change the name and was wondering if, as a Platinum, they will wave the change fee and will I have to also contact KLM for their portion of the flight, since I had to call to upgrade, or will the call to Delta change the entire itinerary.

iflyalexair Feb 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Your ticket is likely non-transferable. If it is, you can't change it at all.

In any event, a ticket is a complete unit that starts from origin to destination with all coupons in between. You can't modify individual parts without looking at the entire ticket.

MSPeconomist Feb 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Be aware that if you cancel the ticket, the DL credit (assuming it's nonrefundable but changeable for a fee as most DL TATL RT tickets exUSA are) will be in the name of your former companion and cannot be changed or transferred. Unless you can get money from the person, you might not want to make him/her aware of the cancellation and potential airline credit to use for himself/herself on some other trip. Even if you paid, it's not your credit to use.

steex Feb 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30824438)
Be aware that if you cancel the ticket, the DL credit (assuming it's nonrefundable but changeable for a fee as most DL TATL RT tickets exUSA are) will be in the name of your former companion and cannot be changed or transferred. Unless you can get money from the person, you might not want to make him/her aware of the cancellation and potential airline credit to use for himself/herself on some other trip. Even if you paid, it's not your credit to use.

OP specifies this was an award ticket, though. If refunded, shouldn't the miles go back to the account from which they were debited?

sydneyracquelle Feb 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Name changes are not allowed. You need to redeposit the miles and start over.

MSPeconomist Feb 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by steex (Post 30824555)
OP specifies this was an award ticket, though. If refunded, shouldn't the miles go back to the account from which they were debited?

Sorry. I missed this as it was in the thread title but not mentioned in the OP, which says that the OP paid for a C+ upgrade on KLM. My *guess* would be that the KLM C+ fee is nonrefundable. This would mean that the OP should split the original PNR, cancel the former companion's ticket, and keep the OP's ticket as is if there's award space on the same flights. Then book the new companion as a new and separate PNR. This keeps the OP's award ticket and KLM C+ fee intact, although the new award ticket for the new companion could cost more miles. There's a chance that the award space will re re-released when OP cancels, but this cannot be assumed; it might be worthwhile to keep checking back at various intervals.

OP can keep his/her own ticket until T-72 while searching for space for the new companion. There should be no cancel/redeposit fees for tickets that used miles from a PM account.

flyerCO Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by danola (Post 30824398)
My traveling companion cancelled on me for a trip leaving March 4th. It is DL domestic and has KLM segments, to and within Europe, for which I had to pay to upgrade to Economy Comfort. I want to change the name and was wondering if, as a Platinum, they will wave the change fee and will I have to also contact KLM for their portion of the flight, since I had to call to upgrade, or will the call to Delta change the entire itinerary.

You can split them off your reservation, cancel theirs and request refund. You can't simply change the name.

cre95 Feb 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30824691)
You can split them off your reservation, cancel theirs and request refund. You can't simply change the name.

And sadly, getting a new reservation in place will likely be at a higher mileage level since lower level awards are likely gone by now.

MSPeconomist Feb 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by cre95 (Post 30825054)
And sadly, getting a new reservation in place will likely be at a higher mileage level since lower level awards are likely gone by now.

There's also the issue that there might not be DL award availability on the KLM operated segment(s).

TomMM Feb 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Or plan C, find a new companion with the same name.

MSPeconomist Feb 26, 2019 3:30 pm

Plan D, cancel the former companion's ticket and go by yourself.....unless you've booked Sandals for couples or some Pocono honeymoon "resort" travel alone can be wonderful.

flying_donkeys12 Feb 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Delete.

flyerCO Feb 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30825099)
Plan D, cancel the former companion's ticket and go by yourself.....unless you've booked Sandals for couples or some Pocono honeymoon "resort" travel alone can be wonderful.

+1. I travel the globe normally alone. Not for everyone, but very enjoyable for me.

CarmenOM Feb 26, 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30825099)

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30826041)
+1. I travel the globe normally alone. Not for everyone, but very enjoyable for me.

Traveling alone is a great adventure. It expands your competence and provides experiences that don’t occur when you travel with a companion. In addition to “regular” travel, such as visiting a city, I do long distance (~100 miles) inn-to-inn walks in Europe by myself.

OP, maybe your companion, by cancelling on you, has given you a new and exciting opportunity!