Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same flight, higher on Delta than Aeromexico, where to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Looking at a one way flight home from Cancun to Newark in late August, flight operated by Delta. (DL386, DL2415)
  • On the Delta website the flight is $276.02 (197.00 for flight, $79.02 taxes & fees).
  • On the Aeromexico site the flight is $249.32 (the only breakdown given is Other Taxes and Fees $75.62 &VAT $6.70
Would there be any reason not to book the flight with Aeromexico to save $25? If going thru the Delta site though, an Amex cc offer pops up to save $200 on this flight and earn 40k miles after spending 2k.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kadence
Looking at a one way flight home from Cancun to Newark in late August, flight operated by Delta. (DL386, DL2415)
  • On the Delta website the flight is $276.02 (197.00 for flight, $79.02 taxes & fees).
  • On the Aeromexico site the flight is $249.32 (the only breakdown given is Other Taxes and Fees $75.62 &VAT $6.70
Would there be any reason not to book the flight with Aeromexico to save $25? If going thru the Delta site though, an Amex cc offer pops up to save $200 on this flight and earn 40k miles after spending 2k.
Other than DoD you'll be required to go through AM for any changes. DL CS is far superior, and I wouldn't give that up for $25.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Other than DoD
What is DoD?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What is DoD?
Day of Departure
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Other than DoD you'll be required to go through AM for any changes. DL CS is far superior, and I wouldn't give that up for $25.
It is probably an E fare so there aren't likely to be any changes.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I don’t mean to sound condescending, but the time it took to write and make your post is worth more to me than the $25 you’d save booking through AM.

No thanks. This is also why I never use booking sites for air travel, regardless of savings. I’ll never voluntarily opt to go through a third party. In my limited experience, it’s courting disaster.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheHorta
This is also why I never use booking sites for air travel, regardless of savings. I’ll never voluntarily opt to go through a third party. In my limited experience, it’s courting disaster.
A third party booking site was never mentioned so what's your point?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by indufan
It is probably an E fare so there aren't likely to be any changes.
If I've correctly matched the fares with the date (second half of August), then the DL fare is T, the AM fare according to matrix is N/V. OP, is you're a SkyMiles member, by my math you'll earn about 1/3 less redeemable miles and MQD on the AM fare versus Delta fare (but you'll save some $$). If you're a SkyMiles medallion, I expect you won't be able to enjoy the same benefits (upgrades, preferred seats) on an AM-marketed, DL-operated ticket as you would on a DL marketed and operated ticket (this applies to other partners, but I don't have direct experience on AM).

I assume you specifically want to go into EWR and will take a stop to do that, but just in case, there's a direct CUN-JFK (DL789) that is $240 on the date I think you're traveling. Departs 3:30 pm instead of 5:15 pm.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I don’t mean to sound condescending, but the time it took to write and make your post is worth more to me than the $25 you’d save booking through AM.

No thanks. This is also why I never use booking sites for air travel, regardless of savings. I’ll never voluntarily opt to go through a third party. In my limited experience, it’s courting disaster.
I have booked a number of Delta trips on Expedia and never had a problem. Last year for a trip to MEX the price of the airfare on delta.com was more than the cost of the airfare(for the same flight) and hotel combined on Expedia. The itinerary showed up immediately after booking on delta.com and I received full mileage credit.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

A third party booking site was never mentioned so what's your point?
AM eould be a thrid party booking site if booking just DL flights. Any booking avenue except directly with the operating airline is thrid party. In fact legally AM would be viewed just as a travel agency in regards to booking of the DL flights.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Do you have any status?

If so you'll want to stick with DL for upgrade purposes if you are GM or above since you won't be able to clear the upgrade lists (F and C+) until DOD on AM flight numbers.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by KKinLA
I have booked a number of Delta trips on Expedia and never had a problem. Last year for a trip to MEX the price of the airfare on delta.com was more than the cost of the airfare(for the same flight) and hotel combined on Expedia. The itinerary showed up immediately after booking on delta.com and I received full mileage credit.
Congrats but there are a lot of potential issues with third-party issued tickets. Delta will charge you to take it over if you want to make any non-DoD changes and you can easily end up accidentally booking an exception fare, which can result in very unexpected mileage earnings.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:37 pm

AM eould be a thrid party booking site if booking just DL flights. Any booking avenue except directly with the operating airline is thrid party. In fact legally AM would be viewed just as a travel agency in regards to booking of the DL flights.
Not really. Delta owns a large share of Aeromexico and they operate a JCA. Both airlines market flights where one is the operating carrier for one leg and the other is the operating carrier for the other leg. Who would be the "third party" in this case?

If you booked a Delta flight through American Airlines (yes, this is possible, thanks to their reinstated interline agreement), I suppose it would be fair to say that American Airlines is the travel agent. But I don't think that logic applies to codeshare partners.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Do you have any status?

If so you'll want to stick with DL for upgrade purposes if you are GM or above since you won't be able to clear the upgrade lists (F and C+) until DOD on AM flight numbers.
Just to be clear, this only applies to Delta-operated segments of your trip. Complimentary upgrades for Delta Medallion members on Aeromexico-operated flights are day of departure only, regardless of who marketed the flight.

So, imagine you're flying CVG-DTW-MEX where CVG-DTW is operated by Delta but DTW-MEX is operated by AM. If you bought a AM-marketed ticket, you'd have to wait until DoD to upgrade to C+ or F on CVG-DTW even if your Medallion benefits entitle you to upgrades upon booking or at the window. You'd be subject to DoD upgrades for DTW-MEX even if you had booked a DL marketed flight, since in this example, it's AM operated.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rucksack
Not really. Delta owns a large share of Aeromexico and they operate a JCA. Both airlines market flights where one is the operating carrier for one leg and the other is the operating carrier for the other leg. Who would be the "third party" in this case?

If you booked a Delta flight through American Airlines (yes, this is possible, thanks to their reinstated interline agreement), I suppose it would be fair to say that American Airlines is the travel agent. But I don't think that logic applies to codeshare partners.
Anytime an airline books a flight marketed by another airline, they're doing so as a "travel agent." Last time I checked that exact wording was even in the contract of carriage. They may contractually be able to do more for close partners, but nonetheless it's still viewed as acting as a travel agent for the OAL.

For this purpose, codeshare flights are considered flights of the marketing airline. Thus a DL codeshare on AM metal is actually considered a DL flight. If DL booked an AM codeshare on DL metal, even though in the end passenger will fly DL, they're acting as a TA for AM in selling the AM marketed flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.