Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to MU transit in PVG with long layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:42 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors

I was just wondering for passengers flying DL from LAX to PVG arriving at night and connecting the next day to PEK on MU, meaning I would overnight at Shanghai, would I need to collect my luggage that I checked in? As I am travelling with some bulky items, I would prefer not to collect it. If I do need to collect the luggage, I might consider flying through a different routing.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As long as it is tagged all tge way, no need to pickup. Even for domestic connections bags will transfer between DL/AF/KL and MU/Shanghai Air.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As long as it is tagged all tge way, no need to pickup. Even for domestic connections bags will transfer between DL/AF/KL and MU/Shanghai Air.
Incorrect! I've done this many times... You have to collect your bag if you want to transfer to a domestic flight... PVG to PEK is a domestic flight. You don't have to collect your bag if you are international connect to an international.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
The flight from LAX - PVG, arrive at 18h35 (from the one I have take).

It is a late flight 21h15 between PVG to PEK...

But I agree with wlau, you must transfer your bag between DL and MU. (have done this myself).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wlau
Incorrect! I've done this many times... You have to collect your bag if you want to transfer to a domestic flight... PVG to PEK is a domestic flight. You don't have to collect your bag if you are international connect to an international.
There's signs posted stating this even. At lwast there was six months ago. However MU doesn't always follow through as bags still come out at claim belt and then they manually transfer.

Agents will tell you need to pickup, but for sure on international they transfer. Just did that two month ago. Again the bag still comes out at bag belt. Just like ITI at US airport.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's signs posted stating this even. At lwast there was six months ago. However MU doesn't always follow through as bags still come out at claim belt and then they manually transfer.

Agents will tell you need to pickup, but for sure on international they transfer. Just did that two month ago. Again the bag still comes out at bag belt. Just like ITI at US airport.
Yes, DL-to-MU or MU-to-DL passengers don't have to pick up bags if they are checked through. But for overnight layovers, I think the OP might still have to pick up bags at PVG.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:30 pm

What signage do I look for lines regarding transit-ing from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 (both international flights)? Also confirm this is visa free transit. I'm hoping responses can confirm which signage to look for regarding this. No checked bags. Thanks!

Last edited by stowaway91; Feb 28, 2019 at 6:31 pm Reason: add bag info
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Seriously, I do this like at least 2-3 times every month... LAX-PVG is one of my frequent route as I connect on MU and FM to other cities. The rules are simple. International connect to domestic, you need to collect your bag, even if the origination city tagged it to final. It's the same as taking DL back to the US and connect to other cities. International connect to international, you don't need to collect your bag.

If you don't collect your bag, 3 things will happen:
1) you get lucky, they move it for you, but very unlikely
2) they will track you down in the lounge if they are nice. I remember my coworker ignore my advise to collect the bag but they called his name at the lounge and made him go back out and collect it...
3) bag will be left at the arrival belt and no one will know a thing about it.

If you have an overnight, I would not risk it. I would collect it, proceed with the transfer re-check, then you can leave the airport if you want, or continue to the lounge. If you want to leave, you'd have to explain that you want to go to the custom after you re-check your bag.

Going back to the US would almost always have the same day connect. However, because DL 89 arrive at PVG very late, transfer options are limited so high probability of next morning transfer, which is my case a lot of times... Just collect your bag, either take it with you, or re-check...Just don't walk off and assume you will be lucky...

Last edited by wlau; Feb 28, 2019 at 8:07 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:19 pm

"Seriously" did you read I don't have bags? and I'm asking about signage not procedures.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by stowaway91
"Seriously" did you read I don't have bags? and I'm asking about signage not procedures.
Was not talking about or to you. But if you are asking about signage, why not look at it when you arrive - most airports have signs in English, PVG is no different. Just tilt your head up and look for the big "transfer" sign... I don't want to be rude but I've flown into every major airport on this planet, and every one of them have giant transfer signs...in English and sometimes cartoon'ish picture for those don't understand English.

When you transfer flights within the same airport without leaving its grounds, you usually don't need visa. Transit visa is when you want to leave the airport. Your post lacks a lot of details if you want to drill down to it. T2 is generally Star Alliance and OneWorld and T1 is SkyTeam. You didn't say if you are transfer from SA/OW to ST or you have the MU flight that lands in T2 and then connect to the T1 on international. MU takes care of inter-terminal transfer of their own flights pretty well. If your flights are all on the same ticket, then they will know you are coming and will have people holding signs at your T2 arrival to guide you to T1. If you are transferring between alliances, then good luck especially if you are worrying about signage.

PVG T1 and T2 operates in isolated fashion with no air-side pathway, which mean you will need to clear security again when going between the 2 terminals. The airport is in H configuration, so there is one path way between the 2 terminals.

Last edited by wlau; Feb 28, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:28 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Was not talking about or to you. But if you are asking about signage, why not look at it when you arrive - most airports have signs in English, PVG is no different. Just tilt your head up and look for the big "transfer" sign... I don't want to be rude but I've flown into every major airport on this planet, and every one of them have giant transfer signs...in English and sometimes cartoon'ish picture for those don't understand English.

When you transfer flights within the same airport without leaving its grounds, you usually don't need visa. Transit visa is when you want to leave the airport. Your post lacks a lot of details if you want to drill down to it. T2 is generally Star Alliance and OneWorld and T1 is SkyTeam. You didn't say if you are transfer from SA/OW to ST or you have the MU flight that lands in T2 and then connect to the T1 on international. MU takes care of inter-terminal transfer of their own flights pretty well. If your flights are all on the same ticket, then they will know you are coming and will have people holding signs at your T2 arrival to guide you to T1. If you are transferring between alliances, then good luck especially if you are worrying about signage.

PVG T1 and T2 operates in isolated fashion with no air-side pathway, which mean you will need to clear security again when going between the 2 terminals. The airport is in H configuration, so there is one path way between the 2 terminals.
Wouldn't you need a transit visa if you need to collect your bags from the belt arriving from an International flight? Since baggage claim is always after the passport control/immigration? So I take it I need to collect the luggage and re-check it in the departure hall at the China Eastern counters. Thanks for the response and it helps me to have a clearer idea of what will happen to my checked luggage.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stowaway91
What signage do I look for lines regarding transit-ing from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 (both international flights)? Also confirm this is visa free transit. I'm hoping responses can confirm which signage to look for regarding this. No checked bags. Thanks!
it's visa free, but you do have to enter China to go from T1 to T2.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Only thing certain with MU is that nithing is certain. I have had them transfer bags both ITD and ITI. ITD both flights were MU. ITI has been KL/DL to/from MU. If the ITD transfer was in error I don't know. However was told it would transfer, and it did.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well just to update on this itinerary, my luggage was not tagged all the way due to the long layover in PVG, thus I do have to collect my luggage at PVG and re-check it the next morning for the continuing journey. Slightly long queues for clearing customs after luggage collection at PVG too as the customs officer requires additional checks for most luggages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.