Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking award travel on partner airlines

Old Feb 25, 19, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

It's been a few years since I booked award travel and it seems like the whole system has changed.

How do you look at availability on other partner airlines other than air france/klm/virgin. I was interested in booking on Czech or Air Europa but I can't get dl.com to pull up inventory even when I try and force a LGW-MAD or LGW-PRG. Is this something I need to look on expert flyer and then call?

Also, is Alitalia completely out of the picture for booking awards?
Old Feb 26, 19, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kuhlguy View Post
It's been a few years since I booked award travel and it seems like the whole system has changed.

How do you look at availability on other partner airlines other than air france/klm/virgin. I was interested in booking on Czech or Air Europa but I can't get dl.com to pull up inventory even when I try and force a LGW-MAD or LGW-PRG. Is this something I need to look on expert flyer and then call?

Calling or using EF is best. Even when calling you'll likely need to tell agent wjat options to look at. DL system just isn't right in the last year when it comes to partner searches. AZ is still bookable, but only when the release inventory .
Old Feb 26, 19, 4:10 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Norwegian, SAS, ČSA OK Plus, Priority Pass
I think it is not only in regards to award tickets but also to revenue tickets - there seem to be changes in codesharing and collaboration in general. Routes I was able to book intra-Europe under DL number (like PRG-AMS-CPH) are no more possible to get and I have to book them with KLM, or France or other airlines. So yes, things are changing, constantly. That is the only security.
Old Feb 26, 19, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by prgboy View Post
I think it is not only in regards to award tickets but also to revenue tickets - there seem to be changes in codesharing and collaboration in general. Routes I was able to book intra-Europe under DL number (like PRG-AMS-CPH) are no more possible to get and I have to book them with KLM, or France or other airlines. So yes, things are changing, constantly. That is the only security.
In order to book an intra Europe route with DL flight number it must be part of a larger TATL trip using a DL fare. However DL as always can book it as a KLM/AF fare using KLM/AF numbers. Nothing changed there. DL cant sell a wholly DL marketed ticket for solely within the EU. Same as KLM cant sell a KLM marketed ticket with flights solely in US.
Old Feb 26, 19, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
How do you look at availability on other partner airlines other than air france/klm/virgin. I was interested in booking on Czech or Air Europa but I can't get dl.com to pull up inventory even when I try and force a LGW-MAD or LGW-PRG.
See the Wiki in this thread for the list of carriers that can be booked on delta.com for awards vs. those that must be booked by phone thru Delta Reservations.

Booking Delta Award Tickets, 2015 on

I did a test search to include AZ inventory and found it in the first week on the first airport pair (CDG-PMO) I checked.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Feb 26, 19 at 5:53 am
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Calling or using EF is best. Even when calling you'll likely need to tell agent wjat options to look at. DL system just isn't right in the last year when it comes to partner searches. AZ is still bookable, but only when the release inventory .
awesome. How do you know what level of award/how many miles a route is going to cost? Do you just have to have the phone agent price it?

Old Feb 26, 19, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

awesome. How do you know what level of award/how many miles a route is going to cost? Do you just have to have the phone agent price it?

Sadly, no chart anymore. You just have to learn what the various pricing levels are through trial and error. Note as long as there's no connecting DL flights, the pricing will be the same across partners, except for VS. Also it'll be the lowest available as wholly partner awards(except VS) are only available at one level.

If intra EU J I believe OW is 25k. Y I'm not sure of, but believe it's 12.5k
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta Diamond & MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
If intra EU J I believe OW is 25k. Y I'm not sure of, but believe it's 12.5k
I have been checking this lately as part of a trip I am booking. I have found it to be 25k in J and 15k in Y.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: