Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL40 SYD-LAX now leaves 9:25am instead of 11am :(

Old Feb 25, 19, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Had a schedule change on my September SYD-LAX flight from 11am departure to 9:25am, now departing at the same time as VA flight.
​​​​​​
It was nice have 11am flight, which allowed for early morning connections from CNS, ADL and other cities without direct US flight.

I also found that later flights from Australia to US are better for jet leg (would have preferred even later 1pm+ departure but I understand that it is not feasible because of connections on US end and aircraft utilization).

​​​It was also good to have aa choice between earlier VA departure and later DL departure and now they just leave 5 minutes apart. Seems like a good business case for 1x380 instead of 2x777 .
Old Feb 25, 19, 12:01 pm

I had the same schedule change for my syd-lax flight in June. Im aggravated because I believe I even paid more for the 11am option v the 930 one when I booked (just a few dollars, but still). Also 11am gave me a little bit more time in Sydney traffic with my loved one. I'm hoping it changes again for the better before June.
Old Feb 25, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Odd they would pair it directly against the VA flight unless there is strong demand for 2 early flights and VA doesn't have the frames to add.

The current spacing was nice to allow more time in SYD but still get in early enough to get back to the East Coast the same day (SYD - LAX - RDU with a 2.5 hour layover was perfect for shower and refresh in lounge after the long flight, having 4.5 hours seems like a real drag).
Old Feb 25, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Plat.
I can only imagine this is to improve connections in LAX, giving people a chance to catch more of the morning domestic departures. That said, I really enjoyed the midday departure out of SYD when I flew DL40 last year. I was able to stay an extra night in the city and not feel rushed getting out to the airport in the AM. Any earlier departure, I would have been more inclined to stay near the airport.
CPMaverick and emrdoc like this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
When is the new arrival time?

Based on the current schedule, DL40 is scheduled for arrival at 730am at LAX, with a 1230pm departure time from SYD. Even accounting for daylight savings, the new arrival time is 530am?
Old Feb 25, 19, 6:22 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's that time of year again! DL remembers daylight savings time.

The DL and VA flights always (to my knowledge) have flown roughly at the same time. Note that VA1 left at 11:25a today.

Delta always seems to forget about daylight savings time for their far-out schedules. They end up changing them a few months out to make the arrival time equal. Why this happens every year, I don't know. VA understands it and schedules accordingly 330 days out. DL does not, ever since the current route started.

This is so predictable I don't even need to check schedules. There will be a 10:25a departure now after US DST but before AU DST (late March). And then a 9:25a departure after AU DST (mid April). All maintaining the ~6:30a arrival into LAX.

If Delta is ever offering a (significantly) different time than VA for this route, rest assured by the time you fly it, they'll be operating on more or less the same schedule.
flyerCO likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 25, 19 at 11:20 pm
Old Feb 25, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
I always route through MEL on the return from Australia to catch VA23 which typically departs after 1300. While the extra leg may be less desirable, I find it helps me adjust back to pacific time much faster.
universitylad likes this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by JAeX View Post
I always route through MEL on the return from Australia to catch VA23 which typically departs after 1300. While the extra leg may be less desirable, I find it helps me adjust back to pacific time much faster.
It doesn't help those wanting a later departure from SYD, but this is an excellent option for anyone connecting from elsewhere. MEL is far easier to connect D->I than SYD.
universitylad likes this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 11:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
It doesn't help those wanting a later departure from SYD, but this is an excellent option for anyone connecting from elsewhere. MEL is far easier to connect D->I than SYD.
Agreed. I was more getting at routing through MEL to have the longhaul leg depart later. I visit SYD a few times a year but always book my return SYD-MEL-LAX. This requires an earlier departure from SYD than flying direct to LAX but forces me to stay up later in the day and feel less jet lagged on arrival.
Old Feb 26, 19, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
It's that time of year again! DL remembers daylight savings time.

The DL and VA flights always (to my knowledge) have flown roughly at the same time. Note that VA1 left at 11:25a today.

Delta always seems to forget about daylight savings time for their far-out schedules. They end up changing them a few months out to make the arrival time equal. Why this happens every year, I don't know. VA understands it and schedules accordingly 330 days out. DL does not, ever since the current route started.

This is so predictable I don't even need to check schedules. There will be a 10:25a departure now after US DST but before AU DST (late March). And then a 9:25a departure after AU DST (mid April). All maintaining the ~6:30a arrival into LAX.

If Delta is ever offering a (significantly) different time than VA for this route, rest assured by the time you fly it, they'll be operating on more or less the same schedule.
+1. DL seems to have this issue on a couple other long hauls as well. I guess plus is that you can claim a refund or request a rebooking for free.
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: Skymiles
Same thing just happened to me. Set me up with a 5hr+ layover. Luckily Delta was able to change my connection to ATL so I only have a 3hr layover now. At least I get home earlier.
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mindspin_311 View Post
Same thing just happened to me. Set me up with a 5hr+ layover. Luckily Delta was able to change my connection to ATL so I only have a 3hr layover now. At least I get home earlier.
Watch out. As posted by another user this is usually just a DST thing. You'll be offered another rebooking, but who knows what will be available when they finally catch the DST issue.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: