traveling with wife - separate return

Old May 14, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
traveling with wife - separate return

Is it possible to fly together with my wife to a destination and return on separate dates and for her to benefit from my Gold status on both flights, she has no status.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't believe so. Separate reservations and you not on her return flight kills it.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Book two one ways.
jalves likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only downside to two one-ways is that if you are booking penalty fares and you need to make a change, you will pay a change fee per ticket. Thus, moving a trip by a week out and back would generate a $200 change fee on a typical domestic penalty fare, while changing two one-ways would be $400.

While your wife would not be entitled to Gold benefits, she might still receive some of them. Thus, consider exactly what it is that she wants and cares about and whether that is worth it.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:01 am

I often have this issue and wind up booking two one-way tickets so my travel companion will get upgraded on the flight we are on together. The other flight they will receive no benefits. Always the caveat regarding double change fees, but knock on wood I have never needed to change flights with two one way booking.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on route, it may cost more to purchase as two one ways.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by tpaulus
Is it possible to fly together with my wife to a destination and return on separate dates and for her to benefit from my Gold status on both flights, she has no status.
Other posters are correct - no automatic status recognition/benefits when not in the same PNR.

However, to OP's exact question regarding at least the flight where OP and spouse are traveling together, if OP and spouse are on the same flight and different reservations, it is possible to have DL seat the spouse in a preferred seat (such as exit row - and NOT C+) while GM status OP perhaps gets a C+ upgrade at T-72. This can only be done by a DL phone agent, who will notate the spouse PNR with notes linking/justifying the preferred seat assignment.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Depending on route, it may cost more to purchase as two one ways.
Or it could be less...one of my summer trips is cheaper as two one-way tickets. Most frequently, it will be the same total price though.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
Other posters are correct - no automatic status recognition/benefits when not in the same PNR.

However, to OP's exact question regarding at least the flight where OP and spouse are traveling together, if OP and spouse are on the same flight and different reservations, it is possible to have DL seat the spouse in a preferred seat (such as exit row - and NOT C+) while GM status OP perhaps gets a C+ upgrade at T-72. This can only be done by a DL phone agent, who will notate the spouse PNR with notes linking/justifying the preferred seat assignment.
This also requires that you get a knowledgeable phone agent. The last two times I called to link a PNR, the agents said that is not possible.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
This also requires that you get a knowledgeable phone agent. The last two times I called to link a PNR, the agents said that is not possible.
HUCA (and I might suggest daylight hours M-F to improve odds of success). And, make sure you lead with the request "can I get my spouse/companion a preferred seat"? The linking is a step the agent will do to justify the preferred seat - you don't have to ask for it. In this scenario, it is not possible to get C+, so don't bother trying.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Situation
Or it could be less...one of my summer trips is cheaper as two one-way tickets. Most frequently, it will be the same total price though.
It really depends on the market. Out of DTW, the number of routes on DL with Sat night stay RT fares (where a roundtrip will be less than two one-ways) far exceeds routes without. Most of them have advance purchase requirements, so if you are booking close-in, you will likely just get one-way fares and price will be same as two one-way tickets. But further out, there will be price differences (and no, two one-way's will no be cheaper than the RT fares).

No Sat night stay RT fares
DEN
SEA
DFW
ORD
MDW
BWI

Sat night stay RT fares
LAX
SFO
PDX
IAH
MCI
BNA
STL
MSY
BOS
RDU
PIT
JFK
LGA
EWR
PHL
FLL
MIA
TPA
MCO
ATL
CLT
IAD
AUS
DCA

Last edited by xliioper; May 14, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mnbp
HUCA (and I might suggest daylight hours M-F to improve odds of success). And, make sure you lead with the request "can I get my spouse/companion a preferred seat"? The linking is a step the agent will do to justify the preferred seat - you don't have to ask for it. In this scenario, it is not possible to get C+, so don't bother trying.
I've had no issues getting preferred seats for those on a separate PNR via phone when booking (most times I've asked, and most of the reason I call in to book) or changing flights. Edited to add - all instances we are flying the same itinerary.

Can't you list one person as a 'travel companion' and they'll at least be on the F list, but below FOs? Edited to add - just noticed this is an international trip, so this won't apply.

For C+, I have had luck asking the GA nicely when there was obvious availability at the gate. Edit - always domestic.

Last edited by bloc0102; May 14, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Thanks all for your feedback, this site is a fantastic resource. The trip is ATL-FRA and I've had good luck getting C+ upgrades on this route while alone and didn't want to leave her in coach just because we're on a separate PNR. The outbound is separate, but we're returning together and I think I'll lean on the phone and if unsuccessful the GA on the return to get us both in C+. Historically though, my experience with the GA in FRA isn't stellar.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
International

International is a whole different animal. International fares are often priced differently and often require roundtrip for cheaper fares. As you will need to price it separately, you are likely not able to share the benefits.

Additionally, when reservation control is released to airport control, my experience is that they treat elites with little care and have very different upgrading priorities.

I wouldnt count on your wife being able to take advantage of your status.

jiburi
Old May 14, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by tpaulus
Thanks all for your feedback, this site is a fantastic resource. The trip is ATL-FRA and I've had good luck getting C+ upgrades on this route while alone and didn't want to leave her in coach just because we're on a separate PNR. The outbound is separate, but we're returning together and I think I'll lean on the phone and if unsuccessful the GA on the return to get us both in C+. Historically though, my experience with the GA in FRA isn't stellar.
Just to be clear, in my post, I was describing getting a "preferred" seat for a companion in a separate reservation but on your same flight, and NOT a seat in C+. On ATL-FRA, just like US domestic, C+ is a separate fare. There is zero chance of "talking" a phone agent into moving your spouse into C+ just because you are on the same flight. Zero. And talking a non-US outstation GA into same? Probably less than zero. Sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.