FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   NCAA Final 4 at MSP, 4/6 to 4/8/19 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1958048-ncaa-final-4-msp-4-6-4-8-19-a.html)

RRDD Feb 25, 2019 8:32 am

NCAA Final 4 at MSP, 4/6 to 4/8/19

Although the Final 4 is no Super Bowl, the event may impact your travel plans.

DTWflyer Feb 25, 2019 10:51 am

I noticed that air fare through MSP that weekend is more expensive than weekends before after and that now makes sense as to why.

MSPeconomist Feb 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Hotels seem pretty full and many are attempting to charge rack rates for their remaining rooms.

RRDD Mar 17, 2019 11:30 am

Less than three weeks to ago. Anyone having issues connecting/traveling through MSP?

MSPeconomist Mar 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Watch out for hotels that have made their rack rates nonrefundable/prepaid.

Getting stranded overnight would be a mess, although the risk of weather events isn't high. [There might not be any hotel space--at all at any price--in either downtown or near the airport, unless "the airport" means St Cloud, Rochester, etc.] Also, the only MAX service at MSP was one daily WN flight, so MSP travelers aren't dealing with that.

The plan to have a Ferris wheel on Nicollet Mall sounds like it could be fun if the lines aren't awful. There's also supposed to be free music and other fun stuff, but I haven't seen any details (nor have I looked for them).

CarmenOM Mar 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Not related to Final Four, but because of school spring breaks passenger volume at MSP is higher than normal right now. My son flew out last Friday and said the TSA lines were the longest he’s ever seen here (based on near-weekly travel). The projections I’ve seen in the volunteer office show high pax numbers for the whole week with especially high volume next Friday (3/22); Wednesday and Thursday will be quite busy also.

EarlVolFan Mar 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Tennessee fan here. We have direct TYS-MSP flights and I booked 4 for that weekend a month ago for a reasonable 25K R/T.

Hopefully, I won’t need to redeposit them... Go Vols!

RRDD Mar 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by EarlVolFan (Post 30907355)
Tennessee fan here. We have direct TYS-MSP flights and I booked 4 for that weekend a month ago for a reasonable 25K R/T.

Hopefully, I won’t need to redeposit them... Go Vols!

Close game with Iowa. Bet you were sweating it.

RRDD Apr 3, 2019 7:54 am

Interesting caution on the MSP website:
  • If you have an NCAA Final Four® program, please place it in your carry-on bag. For questions about carry-on and checked items, visit TSA.gov.
Is there some kind of special metal used in the graphics?

MSPeconomist Apr 3, 2019 8:34 am

Or is there concern that baggage handlers would swipe them?

Of course, one shouldn't pack tickets in a checked bag. <duh>

MSPeconomist Apr 3, 2019 8:37 am

I'm seeing some hotel space still available, generally in the $300-600 per room per night range, with limited options downtown or close to light rail stations (including the airport/MOA area). Local rumor is that the number of visitors will be down since Duke lost. MOA has some special events in addition to the downtown activities.

MSPJIN Apr 3, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD (Post 30960127)
Interesting caution on the MSP website:
  • If you have an NCAA Final Four® program, please place it in your carry-on bag. For questions about carry-on and checked items, visit TSA.gov.
Is there some kind of special metal used in the graphics?

It was the same with SuperBowl programs this year. Apparently something in them would set off the scanner, resulting in an increased chance of your bag being flagged for additional screening.

Flaflyer Apr 3, 2019 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by EarlVolFan (Post 30907355)

So as a TN fan you have some orange gear, correct color to just go and look like you are supporting a fellow SEC team, Auburn.

(ducks) :D

indufan Apr 3, 2019 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30960257)
Local rumor is that the number of visitors will be down since Duke lost.

I think the local rumor is wrong. Duke is a MUCH smaller university than Michigan State and therefore has fewer alumni. Michigan State is much more driveable and is a big basketball university. And Duke has relatively few basketball fans with its rivalry with North Carolina. The public school has many, many more fans. So much, in fact, that Duke is quite UNPOPULAR in North Carolina.

If they wanted visitors to be up, Kentucky's loss to Auburn is a MUCH bigger deal. Purdue would have laid the visitors into MSP as well.

On the flip side, Duke alums are pretty affluent.

AANYC1981 Apr 8, 2019 10:08 pm

As a UVA’er.......goo Hoos! :)