FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Medallion Benefit Clarification & Upgrade Probability? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1957978-medallion-benefit-clarification-upgrade-probability.html)

Cameron B Feb 24, 2019 7:23 pm

Medallion Benefit Clarification & Upgrade Probability?

Hi all,

I have two questions. I was accepted for a status match challenge recently and am very close to completing that challenge as a Plat Medallion. I'm currently looking into booking a new trip from the East Coast to Hawaii, and I swore on my life that upgrades were only eligible for Hawaii flights from the West Coast. When I go to research this now I see all 50 states eligible, and when booking it states Upgrade Eligible even from ATL-HNL on D1 (I know this is a fat chance since they sell out often on that flight). Has something changed recently, or did I dream up that West Coast only thing?

Second question is about D1 upgrade probability on JFK-LAX. I have an evening flight on this coming Thursday. As of now availability in D1 has stayed pretty much the same with 16 seats available. What have peoples upgrade experiences been like on these flights? Are the lists insane with Plat/Diamond level customers? And, since this is my first time being eligible for a D1 upgrade, are these upgrades cleared day of at midnight, or only at gate?

Thanks!

Duke787 Feb 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Yes -- they changed this last year I believe. All flights in the US-50 are now eligible for upgrades including D1 flights but those flights were previously excluded.

Lists tend to be insane on JFKLAX and JFKSFO so I would plan to sit in C+ and be pleasantly surprised if you get the upgrade. Plus Thursday is a busy travel day for business travelers so I would expect a number of DMs on that flight flying back to LAX after the week in NYC and last minute paid J isn't out of the question.

Last week on a Sunday afternoon JFKSFO I ended up #12 for zero seats (with none clearing at the gate) as a PM on a corporate Q fare

MarkP24 Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron B (Post 30817690)
Hi all,

I have two questions. I was accepted for a status match challenge recently and am very close to completing that challenge as a Plat Medallion. I'm currently looking into booking a new trip from the East Coast to Hawaii, and I swore on my life that upgrades were only eligible for Hawaii flights from the West Coast. When I go to research this now I see all 50 states eligible, and when booking it states Upgrade Eligible even from ATL-HNL on D1 (I know this is a fat chance since they sell out often on that flight). Has something changed recently, or did I dream up that West Coast only thing?

Second question is about D1 upgrade probability on JFK-LAX. I have an evening flight on this coming Thursday. As of now availability in D1 has stayed pretty much the same with 16 seats available. What have peoples upgrade experiences been like on these flights? Are the lists insane with Plat/Diamond level customers? And, since this is my first time being eligible for a D1 upgrade, are these upgrades cleared day of at midnight, or only at gate?

Thanks!

The best way to upgrade on the aforementioned flights would be via RUC's (Regional Upgrade Certificates) which you can choose as a Choice benefit as a Platinum, and yes you are eligible for upgrade on D1 flights, although it's a much harder upgrade and only day of unless using a RUC.

Cameron B Feb 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks to both of you for the info! I figured D1 on these flights would be a long shot and I'm fully expecting my chances of staying in C+ at about 99.9%. :)

Are these day of upgrades done only at the gate, or at the stroke of midnight?

MarkP24 Feb 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron B (Post 30817744)
Thanks to both of you for the info! I figured D1 on these flights would be a long shot and I'm fully expecting my chances of staying in C+ at about 99.9%. :)

It's at time of check in, so 24 hours before.

Depending on day of week and flight load, may not be such a long shot. YMMV

MSPeconomist Feb 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24 (Post 30817735)
The best way to upgrade on the aforementioned flights would be via RUC's (Regional Upgrade Certificates) which you can choose as a Choice benefit as a Platinum, and yes you are eligible for upgrade on D1 flights, although it's a much harder upgrade and only day of unless using a RUC.

Would someone starting a Plat status challenge have access to choice benefits, including RUCs? I don't think so.

I would assume that Thursday evening upgrades to D1 on a business route would simply be impossible for a PM.

ethernal Feb 24, 2019 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron B (Post 30817744)

Depending on when you book and the plane, don't expect to be in C+ much as a Platinum. Booking in less than 2-3 weeks of departure on a transcon usually means C+ is already long gone and Diamonds will get any gate upgrades for seats held for gate assignment.

MarkP24 Feb 24, 2019 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30817755)
Would someone starting a Plat status challenge have access to choice benefits, including RUCs? I don't think so.

I would assume that Thursday evening upgrades to D1 on a business route would simply be impossible for a PM.

For the flight this Thursday, he wouldn't have access to RUC's, but he may for the Hawaii flight and for future reference.

Also, he mentioned the flight is wide open in D1 with 16 seats available, and it's this Thursday, so he may clear

dlflyer00 Feb 24, 2019 7:44 pm

As soon as you meet the challenge criteria, you can select choice benefits. So probably not an option for this flight but good to keep in mind for the future.

ethernal Feb 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24 (Post 30817760)
For the flight this Thursday, he wouldn't have access to RUC's, but he may for the Hawaii flight and for future reference.

Also, he mentioned the flight is wide open in D1 with 16 seats available, and it's this Thursday, so he may clear

I wouldn't bank on it. The flight I am on right now (a 739) had 13/20 F seats available three days ago on Thursday, and it went to the gate with 0 available. I got a battlefield upgrade after departure as I was #1 on the upgrade list.

Not sure if it is FCM, SDC, upgrades clearing prior to T-24 for people with higher fare classes than me (I'm on an M fare though which, while not full Y, is not exactly a bottom scraping fare), or rebookings due to missed connections or what, but my normal calculus on "I should clear this" has been upended.

MarkP24 Feb 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30817776)
I wouldn't bank on it. The flight I am on right now (a 739) had 13/20 F seats available three days ago on Thursday, and it went to the gate with 0 available. I got a battlefield upgrade after departure as I was #1 on the upgrade list.

Not sure if it is FCM, SDC, upgrades clearing prior to T-24 for people with higher fare classes than me (I'm on an M fare though which, while not full Y, is not exactly a bottom scraping fare), or rebookings due to missed connections or what, but my normal calculus on "I should clear this" has been upended.

I hear that. While I've cleared all of my upgrades so far this year (some due to RUC's), I would have thought I would have cleared sooner (i.e. at the window) or that more seats would have been available on a given flight based on day of the week and route (especially when 5 days before there were plenty of seats), yet likely due to FCM, I've been surprised at the number of seats and time that I clear.

Still 16 seats in D1 a week out has potential.

Cameron B Feb 24, 2019 8:02 pm

As has now been mentioned, no RUC for me until I finalize the challenge (soon, but not soon enough). I would think an RUC would be better used on something like ATL-HNL than the JFK segments anyhow.

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30817759)
Depending on when you book and the plane, don't expect to be in C+ much as a Platinum. Booking in less than 2-3 weeks of departure on a transcon usually means C+ is already long gone and Diamonds will get any gate upgrades for seats held for gate assignment.

I think I'm on a bout of good luck then. So far I have booked 8 segments fairly last minute within the time window you specify and every one of them has achieved C+. These are flights including to Paris, Sydney, JFK, etc. All of my domestic legs have also cleared up to F at the 120 hour window, but rather than expect it I'm just thankful for it so I don't set myself up for disappointment. I still smiled getting that upgrade to F e-mail yesterday from MCO-JFK at the 120 hour window.

Originally Posted by dlflyer00 (Post 30817761)
So probably not an option for this flight but good to keep in mind for the future.

Yes, and thanks for that! :)

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30817776)

What's the routing on the flight you're doing now? I'm Orlando based, so while it's heavy with Delta fliers, it's also no ATL/LGA/JFK and I have yet to experience the terrible upgrade lists. This upcoming LAX-JFK-SYD trip will be my first time seeing that. At least I got the complimentary C+ already! Surprisingly, my JFK-LAX flight this Thurs still has a few C+ available.

ethernal Feb 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron B (Post 30817805)
What's the routing on the flight you're doing now? I'm Orlando based, so while it's heavy with Delta fliers, it's also no ATL/LGA/JFK and I have yet to experience the terrible upgrade lists. This upcoming LAX-JFK-SYD trip will be my first time seeing that. At least I got the complimentary C+ already! Surprisingly, my JFK-LAX flight this Thurs still has a few C+ available.

I'm Atlanta-based so.. it is what it is. Upgrade lists on Sunday evening aren't crazy - it was only 49 for a 739 (so only about a third of coach passengers have status). Monday morning is where it gets a little heated - 100+ is pretty normal (depends a bit of destination though). My personal record in terms of percentage of elites is 128 on a 739 - that's 80% of coach (128/160 seats) with status. :) Overall highest upgrade list I saw was a 147, but this was on a 753 so as a percentage it was fewer elites.

Even my return flights on Thursdays/Fridays aren't usually too bad (since the afternoon flights get split with the redeyes in my experience) - usually only 55-75 on average on a 739 or similar equipment.

The routes I take most frequently (tonight included) are ATL-PDX, SFO, SEA, or SJC.

Wimsta Feb 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron B (Post 30817805)
As has now been mentioned, no RUC for me until I finalize the challenge (soon, but not soon enough). I would think an RUC would be better used on something like ATL-HNL than the JFK segments anyhow.

I think I'm on a bout of good luck then. So far I have booked 8 segments fairly last minute within the time window you specify and every one of them has achieved C+. These are flights including to Paris, Sydney, JFK, etc. All of my domestic legs have also cleared up to F at the 120 hour window, but rather than expect it I'm just thankful for it so I don't set myself up for disappointment. I still smiled getting that upgrade to F e-mail yesterday from MCO-JFK at the 120 hour window.

Yes, and thanks for that! :)

Depending on your plans (will you be PM again next year?) you may want to wait to redeem your RUCs until next January. I'm getting good use of FC on my ATL-LAX flights this year as a GM.

Also, holding out for maximum value might leave you with wasted RUCs when they don't clear. There is no shortage of stories about them being applied incorrectly.

I suspect RUC use may get more competitive as many former DMs become PMs... I wonder if that plays into it at all.

btonkid12345 Feb 25, 2019 9:13 am

RUCs or any Platinum choice benefits are not given until you achieve the actual PM qualification of 75K MQMs and MQDs, if applicable. This is listed in the challenge T&Cs.

I have cleared into domestic D1 once before not at the gate - and it was JFK-LAS on a Tuesday.

Never ever happens on JFK-LAX even for a Diamond, let alone on as busy a travel day as Thursday.