Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Benefit Clarification & Upgrade Probability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Benefit Clarification & Upgrade Probability?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
RUCs or any Platinum choice benefits are not given until you achieve the actual PM qualification of 75K MQMs and MQDs, if applicable. This is listed in the challenge T&Cs.
Actually, no. According to Delta's own text, "Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion Status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits unless the requirements to extend Platinum Medallion Status are met."

You just need to complete the challenge. Delta's definition of "extend" is beyond the 3 month challenge. They are happy to extend the benefit to you once you spend $2,250 and fly the little over 18,000 miles that first 3 months. You do not need to fly the 75k MQMs. The following review also concurs with me: https://onemileatatime.com/delta-pla...hoice-benefit/

Last edited by Cameron B; Feb 25, 2019 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cameron B
Actually, no. According to Delta's own text, "Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion Status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits unless the requirements to extend Platinum Medallion Status are met."

You just need to complete the challenge. Delta's definition of "extend" is beyond the 3 month challenge. They are happy to extend the benefit to you once you spend $2,250 and fly the little over 18,000 miles that first 3 months. You do not need to fly the 75k MQMs. The following review also concurs with me: https://onemileatatime.com/delta-pla...hoice-benefit/
It literally says in the line you quoted that you aren't eligible for Choice Benefits for matched status.

Extending PM means the normal requirements for PM. That's why they have the "unless" clause in there. Otherwise it would simply say "Members who are matched to PM status are eligible for Choice Benefits."

What OMAAT says in 2017 is irrelevant as we are in 2019.

I had a colleague in 2018 try to argue this and they rejected it with a hard no and even noted his SkyMiles account that their decision was "final."

I can only imagine the reps laughing when you call and try to use a frequent flyer blog as justification for milking them for benefits.

They shouldn't be handing out 4 RUCs to people who don't even fly 1/3 of the PM requirements. It's a slap in the face to everyone else who flew 75K/125K and thus earned those certificates and position on the UG list.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:00 am

Extending status means qualifying in 2019 for the 2020 status year. That is the extension, as matched status only lasts for 2019 and 1 month into 2020.

Delta is also not happy to give you better upgrade chances for flying and spending less than a Silver Medallion does in a year.

If they did, Silvers and Golds would get RUCs too.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:06 am
Original Poster

It literally says in the line you quoted that you aren't eligible for Choice Benefits for matched status.
I have just called into SM line for clarification on this. They agree with what I have previously stated. I personally don't care about the RUC's at the moment, just stating what I've been told and have understood from the start. That said, while I'm sure RUCs may be nice on some occasions, I value the complimentary upgrades on other routes through the year more than these, so they'll just be a bonus whether I get them or not.

My interpretation of Delta's wording is not the same as yours. I interpret it as follows:

Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion Status = Members who have a higher tier status with a different airline and are MATCHED with Delta's Platinum status via a challenge. The "match" wording is the 3 months challenge.

will not be eligible for Choice Benefits unless the requirements to extend Platinum Medallion Status are met = the Choice Benefits are not to be given to Challenge users unless they put the legwork in to meet the challenge, and only once a member has met the criteria to extend beyond the 3 month challenge will they receive the benefit.

You may consider giving a member who flies and meets criteria based on 3 months of work a slap in the face, but I would imagine Delta's hope and typical person they match with is someone that's going to stick around. Therefore, they feel that anyone who puts in 18,000+ MQMs and $2250 in a short 90 day period is worth giving status in full to. After all, the status match challenge is designed to coax passengers AWAY from other airlines. Delta doesn't care what other people think. They want my money. It's in their best interest to "show you what they've got" so to speak and not neuter a program when trying to keep a status match user from another airline they were once loyal to. SkyMiles are designed as a way to keep you loyal (that's the hope anyhow) with Delta. It's a total bait and fish situation, where I'm the fish.

While I would never use a blogger as an example to state a case against what I would assume is a very automated system with Delta, my interpretation matches that of a blogger's experience, and also the Sky Miles person I spoke to. Whether that sticks we will see. I'll be happy to update that once my challenge is over on April 23. If I get the RUC, great! If I don't, oh well. I didn't enter the status match for 4 hard to use RUC's anyhow.
ethernal likes this.

Last edited by Cameron B; Feb 25, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:15 am

I have just called into SM line for clarification on this. They agree with what I have previously stated. I personally don't care about the RUC's at the moment, just stating what I've been told and have understood from the start. That said, while I'm sure RUCs may be nice on some occasions, I value the complimentary upgrades on other routes through the year more than these, so they'll just be a bonus whether I get them or not.

My interpretation of Delta's wording is not the same as yours. I interpret it as follows:

Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion Status = Members who have a higher tier status with a different airline and are MATCHED with Delta's Platinum status via a challenge. The "match" wording is the 3 months challenge.

will not be eligible for Choice Benefits unless the requirements to extend Platinum Medallion Status are met = the Choice Benefits are not to be given to Challenge users unless they put the legwork in to meet the challenge, and only once a member has met the criteria to extend beyond the 3 month challenge will they receive the benefit.

You may consider giving a member who flies and meets criteria based on 3 months of work a slap in the face, but I would imagine Delta's hope and typical person they match with is someone that's going to stick around. Therefore, they feel that anyone who puts in 18,000+ MQMs and $2250 in a short 90 day period is worth giving status in full to.

While I would never use a blogger as an example to state a case against what I would assume is a very automated system with Delta, my interpretation matches that of a blogger's experience, and also the Sky Miles person I spoke to. Whether that sticks we will see. I'll be happy to update that once my challenge is over on April 23. If I get the RUC, great! If I don't, oh well. I didn't enter the status match for 4 hard to use RUC's anyhow.
I hope you enjoy your DL flying. One piece of advice: you can almost never trust or hold DL to what an agent who answers the Medallion line says.

SkyMiles Support are some of the stingiest folks and they don't even talk to customers. They only talk to the Reservations/Medallion agents, who talk to us.

Safe travels!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite

This is correct. I began the Plat challenge on 1-July last year and upon successfully completing it, received PM until 31-Jan-20 and also received the ability to select a choice benefit (which I have yet to do). You will not receive the choice benefit until successfully completing the PM challenge, but you will receive it once the PM challenge is complete and your PM status has been extended.
Cameron B likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl

This is correct. I began the Plat challenge on 1-July last year and upon successfully completing it, received PM until 31-Jan-20 and also received the ability to select a choice benefit (which I have yet to do). You will not receive the choice benefit until successfully completing the PM challenge, but you will receive it once the PM challenge is complete and your PM status has been extended.
No wonder why UG lists are so long. And why it seems so hard sometimes to crack top 5 as a DM on a high fare, but just standing by for a comp UG.

"When everyone's elite, nobody is."
TheHorta likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I hope you enjoy your DL flying.
Safe travels!
So far I have! While I find Delta slightly more expensive than what I'm used to, and much less prone to run sales, I think they have a solid product.

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl
Thanks for sharing your experience and affirming what I thought is the case.

I'm not sure why @btonkid12345 's friend had issues, but I've felt like I have a pretty clear understanding on this since before I decided to try the challenge.
flamingocrazyfl likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
No wonder why UG lists are so long. And why it seems so hard sometimes to crack top 5 as a DM on a high fare, but just standing by for a comp UG.

"When everyone's elite, nobody is."
At least in terms of your placement on the upgrade list, I doubt it's RUCs causing this issue. Delta is pretty generous clearing those in advance (domestically.. GUCs are a different story). Obviously it's still taking upgrade space, but by the time you get to the gate, you're probably legitimately #5 .

The reality is there are just a lot of Diamonds. And even though you're on a high fare class, someone else is likely on a higher one. This is doubly true with married segment logic. A short-haul connecting into Atlanta may be an B fare, which makes the ATL->transcon into an B fare too - even though ATL-Transcon may only be selling at an H fare (despite the fact the ATL-ZZZ nonstop on H is actually more expensive than that XXX-ATL-ZZZ on a B fare).

Also, the Reserve card makes a big difference (in my experience). I assume you have one?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

You may consider giving a member who flies and meets criteria based on 3 months of work a slap in the face, but I would imagine Delta's hope and typical person they match with is someone that's going to stick around. Therefore, they feel that anyone who puts in 18,000+ MQMs and $2250 in a short 90 day period is worth giving status in full to. After all, the status match challenge is designed to coax passengers AWAY from other airlines. Delta doesn't care what other people think. They want my money. It's in their best interest to "show you what they've got" so to speak and not neuter a program when trying to keep a status match user from another airline they were once loyal to. SkyMiles are designed as a way to keep you loyal (that's the hope anyhow) with Delta. It's a total bait and fish situation, where I'm the fish.

1. Was this a normal status match/challenge open to the general public or was it some deal through your employer's corporate travel contract?

2. Was it a match or a challenge? Do you currently have the status to enjoy during the three month period or not?

I'm confused. AFAIK one normally gets three months to qualify for a status tier under special terms that are considerably less that the normal annual requirements. Then, at the end of the three months (or earlier if the special requirements have been met earlier) one is awarded the status for the additional period that was specified in the contract. However, it's not considered to be earned status at that point and is treated similarly to comped status such as the recurring annual status granted to MMers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
RUCs or any Platinum choice benefits are not given until you achieve the actual PM qualification of 75K MQMs and MQDs, if applicable. This is listed in the challenge T&Cs.

I have cleared into domestic D1 once before not at the gate - and it was JFK-LAS on a Tuesday.

Never ever happens on JFK-LAX even for a Diamond, let alone on as busy a travel day as Thursday.
I have cleared this using a RUC at the ug window! Surprised the heck out of me because I can never clear this to/from ATL using RUCs. My LAX-JFK-LAX was on a Monday and Friday morning too...so it does and can happen...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
I have cleared this using a RUC at the ug window! Surprised the heck out of me because I can never clear this to/from ATL using RUCs. My LAX-JFK-LAX was on a Monday and Friday morning too...so it does and can happen...
Sorry should have been more specific...

I have cleared JFK-LAX using an RUC ahead of gate multiple times.

I was just referring to comp upgrades. Always had JFK-LAX comps at gate. Only domestic Delta One that cleared at T-4 was that JFK-LAS.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1. Was this a normal status match/challenge open to the general public or was it some deal through your employer's corporate travel contract?

It is a status match open to anyone who Delta determines is worthy based on other airline status. You are required to apply, and Delta has cracked down on people trying to abuse it with fake credentials. I've heard of many denials, and they require hard status card photos (no digital accepted) and lengthy statements to show your travel history on another airline.

2. Was it a match or a challenge? Do you currently have the status to enjoy during the three month period or not?
It is a challenge. During the challenge they match your status from the competing airline. If you wish to keep that status beyond the 90 days you must meet the criteria of the challenge. I have full benefits of Plat Medallion (F Class upgrades, free bags, sky priority, etc) minus the Choice Benefits.

I'm confused. AFAIK one normally gets three months to qualify for a status tier under special terms that are considerably less that the normal annual requirements. Then, at the end of the three months (or earlier if the special requirements have been met earlier) one is awarded the status for the additional period that was specified in the contract. However, it's not considered to be earned status at that point and is treated similarly to comped status such as the recurring annual status granted to MMers.

I don't know what "normally" is, but it's as I have explained. I am recognized as a Plat Medallion during these 90 days, and I personally do not consider this "considerably less than normal annual requirements". It seems like simple math Delta is doing here. For a typical Plat Medallion they expect you to fly 75,000 MQMs annually and $9,000 annually. There are four quarters in a year, and you get one of the four quarters to match it, so all Delta has done is divided it by four. 75,000/4 = 18,750, and $9,000/4 = $2,250. This is quite literally the exact values of the challenge, so for all intents and purposes, anyone who meets the challenge is flying at least on par with that of a regular annual Plat Medallion flier. It makes perfect sense to me why Delta would extend all privileges to that person considering it's also what they would expect of a normal Plat Medallion each quarter as well. Obviously once you've reached the status you need to fly even more to ENJOY the status, so there's nothing "significantly less" about it.

It's not like they are accepting and handing out these challenges to just anyone. You have to be a proven hardcore flier with another airline in the first place. It's literally a business move for them to take you away from another airline.
flamingocrazyfl likes this.

Last edited by Cameron B; Feb 25, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

I just wanted to update this topic for anyone who has the same question I did about a Delta One upgrade on JFK-LAX.

I was expecting my position to be WAY worse based on what @btonkid12345 stated here for Thurs JFK busy travel day/times.

In the end, I am #12 of 51 with 9 available and 2 hours to go till departure. I don't anticipate making it, but I would say as a Platinum on a lowly V fare that's not such a bad position and it's possible with the right fare to get this upgrade.

Now if only I could get an agent to help me with not wanting a middle seat C+ on the DL 41 from LAX-SYD that would be great! I didn't find the opt-out for that during check-in on my desktop. Delta Twitter people are telling me there's no such thing.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just wanted to update this topic for anyone who has the same question I did about a Delta One upgrade on JFK-LAX.

I was expecting my position to be WAY worse based on what @btonkid12345 stated here for Thurs JFK busy travel day/times.

In the end, I am #12 of 51 with 9 available and 2 hours to go till departure. I don't anticipate making it, but I would say as a Platinum on a lowly V fare that's not such a bad position and it's possible with the right fare to get this upgrade.

Now if only I could get an agent to help me with not wanting a middle seat C+ on the DL 41 from LAX-SYD that would be great! I didn't find the opt-out for that during check-in on my desktop. Delta Twitter people are telling me there's no such thing.
Where you opted-out when you checked-in. I believe you must first opt-out before check-in to get the option for aisle/window only at check-in. At least that's what the instructions say. You could try opting and rechecking in to see if it shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.