Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA Threatened to Enforce Carry On Size Limit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA Threatened to Enforce Carry On Size Limit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
I wish it were normal for airlines to have passengers drop their carryon into a size box during boarding. Anything that doesn’t fit gets checked at the normal checked bag fee rate. There would be fewer involuntary gate checked carryons.
There would probably be fewer involuntary gate checked bags if GAs enforced the carryon limits (one carryon and one personal item). Even though I don’t abuse it, I’m less concerned about “oversized” carryons because a bag either fits in the OH bin or it doesn’t and even if a bag is slightly larger than the size wise thing, the extra space it takes up if it does manage to fit in the bin is still significantly less than the person who boards with three or four carryon bagsa puts them all in the OH bin. The biggest factor here is the time required to swim upstream to check said bag if it doesn’t fit but that time is probably th same for the involuntarily gate checked bags.
jdrtravel and Spanish like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Was this on a CR9 (PIT-MSP based on your profile)?
It was on a CR9, but not from PIT.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RRDD
It was on a CR9, but not from PIT.
On small planes like that, they particularly need to enforce that.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:23 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I'm very surprised at the tone of this thread. Overzealous enforcement of bag policies, like at AA where they check you sometimes several times before you get on the plane, and force you to check bags unnecessarily, are generally way worse than letting a few people on with a big bag.

I think this has a lot to do with the pervasive AA employee against the customer sentiment over there. In my view flying is hard enough and pitting employees versus customers should be minimized where possible. I'm not against enforcement on the edges, but having seen how it works on the other extreme, it's not something you should wish for. I also watched the Alaska enforcement roll out and quickly get rolled back because it's just not worth making the face of your organization be in open conflict with a large number of passengers.
Spiff, BenA and jdrtravel like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmx
I'm very surprised at the tone of this thread. Overzealous enforcement of bag policies, like at AA where they check you sometimes several times before you get on the plane, and force you to check bags unnecessarily, are generally way worse than letting a few people on with a big bag.

I think this has a lot to do with the pervasive AA employee against the customer sentiment over there. In my view flying is hard enough and pitting employees versus customers should be minimized where possible. I'm not against enforcement on the edges, but having seen how it works on the other extreme, it's not something you should wish for. I also watched the Alaska enforcement roll out and quickly get rolled back because it's just not worth making the face of your organization be in open conflict with a large number of passengers.
Agree. It is hard to differentiate between "casual violators" and "real violators". I think that Delta perhaps goes a bit too far on allowing things they shouldn't (like someone walking on with three giant bags), but I vehemently disagree with the notion that I should have to put my bag in a back check box before I get on the plane.

The reality is I know exactly how my bag fits on every plane Delta flies (well, except the A350 but I would assume there is no issue there). My bag would technically be oversized relative to the bag check box, but I know for a fact that I can get it in vertically on every non-RJ (and even fit it into nooks and crannies that FAs tell you to not put a big carry-on in - like the center bins on the two remaining domestic 767-300s).

I was there when Alaska rolled out their bag check stations. When my bag didn't fit, I told them that if they did not let me on the plane I would walk from the flight and never fly Alaska again. I was entitled to two free checked bags as an MVP, but told them I had no issue with paying for a carry-on if I had to, but I was not trusting Alaska to handle my luggage. After a bit of a back and forth they finally let me on with my bag. I don't know if they would have done the same if I did not have status, but the reality is that all it did was piss me off and make me not want to fly Alaska.

Perhaps the solution is to have the bag check boxes mirror reality of the carry-on, but that doesn't seem to happen for reasons I don't understand.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmx

Interestingly my usual carry on is an AA branded bag I got in the late 90s or early 00s. AA is the only airline that hassles me about it on regional jets and don't relent even when I point out they sold it to me. It fits in every CR and Embraer I've been on and Delta and United never give me any issue.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Interestingly my usual carry on is an AA branded bag I got in the late 90s or early 00s. AA is the only airline that hassles me about it on regional jets and don't relent even when I point out they sold it to me. It fits in every CR and Embraer I've been on and Delta and United never give me any issue.
That is interesting!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD
First time I've seen this. The GA on my flight to MSP initially wouldn't let a passenger bring a piece of luggage on board because it was clearly over the 9" thickness limit. The luggage was one of those with an extra zipper that let's the bag inflate a couple more inches. The GA relented when the customer said they would check the bag next time. The conversation was quite entertaining.
Presuming the a lot of people get free checked bags, I’m not sure why more people don’t choose to check their bags' at least on domestic routes. It finally occurred to me one day to ask myself, why am I hoofing this bag everywhere when I can drop it when I leave and grab it when I land? This has become seem less with the ability to track bag location. My only rule of thumb is that I don’t check when I am strapped for time or have a non negotiable moment where a delayed bag would cause my world to stop spinning (at least for a moment). Otherwise, leave the bags to baggage handlers.
vincentharris likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FF524

Presuming the a lot of people get free checked bags, I’m not sure why more people don’t choose to check their bags' at least on domestic routes. It finally occurred to me one day to ask myself, why am I hoofing this bag everywhere when I can drop it when I leave and grab it when I land? This has become seem less with the ability to track bag location. My only rule of thumb is that I don’t check when I am strapped for time or have a non negotiable moment where a delayed bag would cause my world to stop spinning (at least for a moment). Otherwise, leave the bags to baggage handlers.
Even ignoring the huge waste of time checking a bag entails (10-15 min to drop it off - even with SKY) plus the time to pick it up (especially at smaller airports where you will always beat it to baggage claim)... Where do you put your 15+ pound personal item? Do you actually carry it around?

I'd much prefer to let my carry-on carry my personal item. Not having my carry-on bag makes walking through the airport much more annoying as now I have a 15 pound bag on my shoulder. My doctor tells me that isn't ideal.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:53 pm

You may not have had your bag lost or delayed before on an important business trip
Spiff and ethernal like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by FullFare
You may not have had your bag lost or delayed before on an important business trip
i have been measuring the ontime delivery %. In 2018, 113 trips, I checked a bag 90 times. Of the 90 times, my bag failed to arrive twice. Once when I redirected at a stopover due to weather and the other I haven’t a clue how we got separated. Both times the bag showed up at my door within 24 hours. In 2019, 18 trips, 14 checked bags, all showed up as expected.

As to the wait time to check a bag, worst airport I experience is MCO. Strictly a volume thing there and sheer amount of big tourist bags also in the check queue. It’s one of the airports I skip the check during their peek periods, I avoid ATL as a hub like the plague, so I suspect I would also not check a bag there. Other then that, it’s been AOK.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
As to the wait time to check a bag, worst airport I experience is MCO. Strictly a volume thing there and sheer amount of big tourist bags also in the check queue. It’s one of the airports I skip the check during their peek periods, I avoid ATL as a hub like the plague, so I suspect I would also not check a bag there. Other then that, it’s been AOK.
I don't know where ethernal is originating (domestically) such that it takes 10-15 minutes to check a bag. I think 90 seconds is slow and I'm using DTW/ATL/BOS among other big stations. The 20-minute bag guarantee (or, maybe more correctly, what DL did with staffing and processes before rolling it out) really has made a difference for me in willingness to check a bag.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

This right here is what I discovered about 5 or so years ago, and how I do it as well.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't know where ethernal is originating (domestically) such that it takes 10-15 minutes to check a bag. I think 90 seconds is slow and I'm using DTW/ATL/BOS among other big stations. The 20-minute bag guarantee (or, maybe more correctly, what DL did with staffing and processes before rolling it out) really has made a difference for me in willingness to check a bag.
ATL can be this way now, and I have a lot of the time just gone to the non SKY lines in ATL.

Otherwise yes I agree with you on it being a couple minutes tops
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I’ve seen hard enforcement of the rule with sizers and everything on the getaway day after the Boston marathon when the local passenger count at BOS might actually be higher than Thanksgiving. it seems like the station plans ahead for special circumstances for the holiday- last time I was there to watch my sister run, multiple GAs also put a ‘marathon finishers’ boarding group in before Zone 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.