FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Simultaneous Submit to overcome Z1 inventory (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1957672-simultaneous-submit-overcome-z1-inventory.html)

Colin Feb 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Simultaneous Submit to overcome Z1 inventory

Trying to get two seats at cheapest J pricing with Z1 inventory.
Anyone have experience with ticketing one in each of two browsers with simulatenous submit?
DL.com and Expedia (via AMEX).

bj27 Feb 22, 2019 3:16 pm

It won't work. One seat in Z = one seat in Z. You cannot magically make another Z seat appear with this trick...

Whichever browser is second to the finish line will most likely error out with the webpage displaying the fare has gone up.

rylan Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Yeah the DL system is smarter/faster than you can be in this case. One of the browsers will win and one will loose.

HWGeeks Feb 22, 2019 7:52 pm

i had a similar issue happen before but I wasn't trying to simultaneously book. I guess I was just the slower of the two people. I called Delta up and they honored the price I was originally quoted. But ymmv

sdadept Feb 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30810926)
Anyone have experience with ticketing one in each of two browsers with simulatenous submit?

I can't say too much, but having intimate knowledge of how the reservation code works, this is impossible. The inventory column is briefly locked while a reservation is made. First one in wins.

mnbp Feb 22, 2019 8:14 pm

There's nothing that says once a Z ticket is sold, that the airline won't ever decide to add another seat to the Z bucket. Maybe in an hour, maybe in a day, maybe in a week. Maybe.

audio-nut Feb 22, 2019 10:20 pm

If the TA has guaranteed sell then it would overbook Z. I doubt DL gives that to anyone other than maybe partner airlines though.

exwannabe Feb 23, 2019 3:26 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 30811624)
Yeah the DL system is smarter/faster than you can be in this case. One of the browsers will win and one will loose.

Not that it helps OP, but I vote that IE loses 😎

3Cforme Feb 23, 2019 4:16 am

Originally Posted by sdadept (Post 30811673)
I can't say too much, but having intimate knowledge of how the reservation code works, this is impossible. The inventory column is briefly locked while a reservation is made. First one in wins.

I'm interested in that mechanism. I have found itineraries (non-stop, so it's not a married segment thing) found by ITA Matrix that did not find inventory on delta.com or aa.com. But Orbitz has been able to ticket them at the ITA Matrix price, and tickets were honored for travel.

bennos Feb 23, 2019 4:31 am

Originally Posted by sdadept (Post 30811673)

I don't think you have to worry about disclosing proprietary information here, this is how any well written inventory management system (and any ACID compliant database system) will work. When attempting to update inventory, a write lock must be obtained on the inventory counter (and only one request can hold a write lock at any given time), then the value of the counter is verified (this is where Z might now = 0 if an almost simultaneous sale were to take place), then the value of the counter is updated, then the write lock is released and the sale processed.

bennos Feb 23, 2019 4:36 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30812463)
I'm interested in that mechanism. I have found itineraries (non-stop, so it's not a married segment thing) found by ITA Matrix that did not found inventory on delta.com or aa.com. But Orbitz has been able to ticket them at the ITA Matrix price, and tickets were honored for travel.

There's a difference between searching for available inventory and booking it once found. It's entirely plausible that ITA has better searching algorithms than the airline websites (airline inventory searches are a notoriously difficult computational problem to solve), or that caches got in the way, or that the website had a bug, or that the website implemented a different search algorithm, etc. If for whatever reason the search doesn't find existing inventory then the frontend has no way to know to ask to book it.

GrayAnderson Feb 23, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 30812498)
There's a difference between searching for available inventory and booking it once found. It's entirely plausible that ITA has better searching algorithms than the airline websites (airline inventory searches are a notoriously difficult computational problem to solve), or that caches got in the way, or that the website had a bug, or that the website implemented a different search algorithm, etc. If for whatever reason the search doesn't find existing inventory then the frontend has no way to know to ask to book it.

Book With Matrix actually helped me "shake" a cheaper fare loose a few weeks ago. DL was trying to quote me a higher rate than I was seeing. I called in, they could only see the higher fare, but Book With Matrix led me to the fare in question (which I was then able to book via Delta.com, much to my shock). Someone was probably querying inventory differently.

Of course, another time in the last few weeks I was also able to find a fare on Matrix and the agent was able to see it as well, so there was probably just a gremlin in the system.

3Cforme Feb 23, 2019 5:57 am

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 30812498)

Thanks for the comments but I'm talking about the most basic of r/t itineraries: one segment in each direction, same marketing/operating carrier. If aa.com and delta.com can't handle that it's time to go back to marks on a chalkboard. I'm wondering if Orbitz was selling inventory from a cache that AA/DL had exhausted, and the carriers allowed the transactions to go through, anyway.

MSPeconomist Feb 23, 2019 6:12 am

Some of these systems use somewhat outdated information for the search and then only verify real time inventory availability during the purchase step. This is why one sometimes sees the message that the fare is no longer available after it appears during a search. The alternative of setting aside inventory during the search would be less desirable, although I see this happening on other types of websites that sell restricted inventory and tell you that it's being held for you for a certain period of time. Starriott Bonvoy shows the time remaining, although apparently doesn't pull the inventory until you go past the search phase and begin to book the room. Eventbrite appears to set aside the tickets at an earlier stage (again showing you have much time you have to complete the transaction), although typically on that website there's no search and consider step as one goes there to purchase a ticket to some particular event.

In the famous "fraudulent" ticketing case of the AA elite who did searches to check likely upgrade availability. It was claimed that AA sets aside inventory and creates a PNR at a much earlier phase than other airline websites generally do.

TerryK Feb 23, 2019 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30810926)

There is no such thing as simultaneous submit in systems. Central database process requests sequentially, even if just by 1/1000000 of a second.

SamOF Feb 23, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by audio-nut (Post 30811916)
If the TA has guaranteed sell then it would overbook Z. I doubt DL gives that to anyone other than maybe partner airlines though.

What’s guaranteed sell?

NYC Flyer Feb 23, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF (Post 30813440)

What’s guaranteed sell?

When availability is displayed in the GDS (and my knowledge is limited to Sabre), it is accurate as of the moment the GDS responds to the request. A separate entry is made to "sell" the inventory, and if another user somewhere else beats your "sell" entry for the last seat in a given booking class (regardless of when the availability request was made), the GDS will not confirm the seat. It is possible to sell inventory without even making an availability request--the request to see what's available for sale is totally independent of the request to sell a seat.

There are times when lags between various GDS, the airline res system, etc., cause inventory to not be instantly synched, but the airlines accept this as a cost of doing business and will honor any sell request that is confirmed by the GDS. If "guaranteed sell" is a thing, it more likely applies to a carrier's guarantee of honoring a sell request that is confirmed by the GDS even if the airline has zero availability in its native reservation system.

GrayAnderson Feb 23, 2019 10:01 pm

I think the answer here is that...hey, you might get lucky, you might not. In theory you shouldn't, but the airfare gods are random and capricious and stranger things have happened.

iadisgreat Feb 23, 2019 11:01 pm

I would hit the purchase button at DL.com then the OTA. It might work out.

Colin Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm

confirming firsthand A1 can yield two A tickets via simultaneous submit for $600 one-way flat beds on HA. you’ll never see more than A1 between LAX OGG towards end of schedule

steve64 Mar 28, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30937748)
confirming firsthand A1 can yield two A tickets via simultaneous submit for $600 one-way flat beds on HA. you’ll never see more than A1 between LAX OGG towards end of schedule

Some good explanations above.
Another factor to consider is that Yield Management fare allocations are dynamic.
  • obviously dynamic in the sense that if a flight is A1, and you buy an A seat, instantly the flight goes to A0.
  • but also dynamic in the sense that if that your transaction caused A to hit a threshold, then the flight would be re-analyzed by the YM software. This would be via a 2nd (internally generated) transaction. The 2nd transaction may decide to reset to A1 (or whatever). On the mainframe, that 2nd transaction most likely finished way before your browser had displayed the results of the 1st transaction back to you.
So to your human eyes, it may appear to you as if "simultaneous submits" are "tricking" the system; but behind the scenes, that's not true.
In between your 2 "simultaneous" transactions, the mainframe probably processed (and completed) several hundreds (if not thousands) other transactions.

My experience is with Sabre, which could apply to HA but not DL. However, most airline reservation systems run on a similar mainframe operating platform, so high level concepts are similar.

NoStressHere Mar 28, 2019 11:34 am

Hey - if you want to try, go for it.

Remember, if it fails, you have 24 hours to cancel the ticket you may no longer want.

Colin Mar 28, 2019 12:28 pm

that’s a lot of words that don’t dispute the fact that simultaneous submit works for HA A1 to get more than one seat, from first hand experience this week.

no one who cares about getting the lowest price should accept the naysayers in this thread that it’s not possible.

flyerCO Mar 28, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30939882)
that’s a lot of words that don’t dispute the fact that simultaneous submit works for HA A1 to get more than one seat, from first hand experience this week.

no one who cares about getting the lowest price should accept the naysayers in this thread that it’s not possible.

Its a lot of words that you dismiss, showing don't understand the basics of how computer systems work. It's impossible to submit at exactly the same time. Even if it's only 1/10th of second off, that's a world apart in computer processing time. Second, as noted and you seem to dismiss, being Z1 doesn't mean that when someone buys Z1 that it goes to Z0. The computer will evaluate per whatever parameters RM has set if it should goto Z0 or add a seat and keep at Z1.

Gig103 Mar 28, 2019 12:41 pm

I wonder if it makes a difference (i.e. helps) if the OTA is selling a bulk/consolidator fare that books into Z, but is an opaque fare.
I'd probably try it with DL.com first, and if the OTA fails you have 24hr to cancel with Delta.

Qwkynuf Mar 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30939882)

Are you familiar with Confirmation Bias?

Colin Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm

the way it works on HA, despite the know it alls who haven’t tried what i just literally did this week, is that one that one submit tickets normally and the second submit gets a PNR only with no eticket. it takes some extra minutes until the 2nd submit gets ticketed.

literally no one cares about the distinction of simultaneous vs. really really close.

the only relevant data point is that, for HA, if you attempt simultaneous submit, you will achieve your desired goal.

i buy on HA all the time. sometimes just one ticket. and the A1 goes to A0 after one ticket. for days , forever often.

Qwkynuf Mar 28, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30940055)
the way it works on HA, despite the know it alls who haven’t tried what i just literally did this week, is that one that one submit tickets normally and the second submit gets a PNR only with no eticket. it takes some extra minutes until the 2nd submit gets ticketed.

literally no one cares about the distinction of simultaneous vs. really really close.

the only relevant data point is that, for HA, if you attempt simultaneous submit, you will achieve your desired goal.

i buy on HA all the time. sometimes just one ticket. and the A1 goes to A0 after one ticket. for days , forever often.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3663e8caeb.jpg

Colin Mar 28, 2019 1:24 pm

yeah, it is. at HA, there’s obviously an exception process to not reject and instead save the PNR without ticketing in the case where the inventory disappears just after submit. it is this exception process that enables a savvy traveler to sneak an A inventory seat that HA didn’t want to otherwise sell.

TerryK Mar 28, 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30940116)
yeah, it is. at HA, there’s obviously an exception process to not reject and instead save the PNR without ticketing in the case where the inventory disappears just after submit. it is this exception process that enables a savvy traveler to sneak an A inventory seat that HA didn’t want to otherwise sell.

Does it work with DL? :confused:

rucksack Mar 29, 2019 1:24 am

My experience has been that many flight inventory systems (unlike event tickets, for example) honor fares as long as they are in your cart / you're checking out.

Case in point: I was able to book 6 tickets on United in a fare class that only had 2 left in inventory by using simultaneous sessions. In fact, I booked one of them 10 or 15 minutes after the other using Incognito mode (and in another browser session I confirmed that the fare class was no longer available).

The logic for this policy is simple: it's a frustrating user experience to be checking out for a flight and then be told that the price went up. At the point that a flight is in risk of being oversold, the price is so high that it's unlikely that there will be simultaneous bookings.

There are, of course, exceptions. Award inventory, for example, is notoriously stingy.

Colin Mar 29, 2019 5:25 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 30941825)
My experience has been that many flight inventory systems (unlike event tickets, for example) honor fares as long as they are in your cart / you're checking out.

Case in point: I was able to book 6 tickets on United in a fare class that only had 2 left in inventory by using simultaneous sessions. In fact, I booked one of them 10 or 15 minutes after the other using Incognito mode (and in another browser session I confirmed that the fare class was no longer available).

The logic for this policy is simple: it's a frustrating user experience to be checking out for a flight and then be told that the price went up. At the point that a flight is in risk of being oversold, the price is so high that it's unlikely that there will be simultaneous bookings.

There are, of course, exceptions. Award inventory, for example, is notoriously stingy.

let’s refocus this conversation on the pedant’s knit regarding the most salient point which is the proper use of the word simultaneous and the very specialized IT skill of only a database administrator fully appreciating small fractions of a second.

Qwkynuf Mar 29, 2019 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30942189)

let’s refocus this conversation on the pedant’s knit regarding the most salient point which is the proper use of the word simultaneous and the very specialized IT skill of only a database administrator fully appreciating small fractions of a second.

If we're being pedantic, the word is "nit", which is the tiny egg of a louse. Nit-picking is very fine, detailed, laborious work. In common usage, "nitpicking" is a derogatory word describing the act of looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.

manacit Mar 29, 2019 10:42 am

So far, we've got:

- Three pages of people arguing whether this should be possible
- One person who says it's possible on HA
- Lots of good reasons why it won't work (ACID, CAP theorem, database transactions, etc)
- Anecdotal evidence that airlines will honor the fares even if there's no availability if it's in your cart and you're trying to check out quickly

.. but nobody has actually tried? @Colin it sounds like it's time to put your money where your mouth here is and let us know