Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Simultaneous Submit to overcome Z1 inventory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simultaneous Submit to overcome Z1 inventory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:24 am

My experience has been that many flight inventory systems (unlike event tickets, for example) honor fares as long as they are in your cart / you're checking out.

Case in point: I was able to book 6 tickets on United in a fare class that only had 2 left in inventory by using simultaneous sessions. In fact, I booked one of them 10 or 15 minutes after the other using Incognito mode (and in another browser session I confirmed that the fare class was no longer available).

The logic for this policy is simple: it's a frustrating user experience to be checking out for a flight and then be told that the price went up. At the point that a flight is in risk of being oversold, the price is so high that it's unlikely that there will be simultaneous bookings.

There are, of course, exceptions. Award inventory, for example, is notoriously stingy.
Colin likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rucksack
My experience has been that many flight inventory systems (unlike event tickets, for example) honor fares as long as they are in your cart / you're checking out.

Case in point: I was able to book 6 tickets on United in a fare class that only had 2 left in inventory by using simultaneous sessions. In fact, I booked one of them 10 or 15 minutes after the other using Incognito mode (and in another browser session I confirmed that the fare class was no longer available).

The logic for this policy is simple: it's a frustrating user experience to be checking out for a flight and then be told that the price went up. At the point that a flight is in risk of being oversold, the price is so high that it's unlikely that there will be simultaneous bookings.

There are, of course, exceptions. Award inventory, for example, is notoriously stingy.
let’s refocus this conversation on the pedant’s knit regarding the most salient point which is the proper use of the word simultaneous and the very specialized IT skill of only a database administrator fully appreciating small fractions of a second.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Colin

let’s refocus this conversation on the pedant’s knit regarding the most salient point which is the proper use of the word simultaneous and the very specialized IT skill of only a database administrator fully appreciating small fractions of a second.
If we're being pedantic, the word is "nit", which is the tiny egg of a louse. Nit-picking is very fine, detailed, laborious work. In common usage, "nitpicking" is a derogatory word describing the act of looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.
SamOF likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
So far, we've got:

- Three pages of people arguing whether this should be possible
- One person who says it's possible on HA
- Lots of good reasons why it won't work (ACID, CAP theorem, database transactions, etc)
- Anecdotal evidence that airlines will honor the fares even if there's no availability if it's in your cart and you're trying to check out quickly

.. but nobody has actually tried? @Colin it sounds like it's time to put your money where your mouth here is and let us know
btonkid12345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.