Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta A330-900neo Best Premium Select + Seats (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta A330-900neo Best Premium Select + Seats (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Don't forget that there are two more premium levels above this. If space is what you want, space is available
dare we say... WSBS?
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Help........on 2 questions !
1) Has anyone heard when Delta is getting their first A330-900neo delivery? (They were supposed to begin in 2019-April)
....and.....
2) Has Delta determined when in 2020 the SEA-PEK-SEA routes will get the A330-900neo aircraft?
Old May 15, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
Help........on 2 questions !
1) Has anyone heard when Delta is getting their first A330-900neo delivery? (They were supposed to begin in 2019-April)
....and.....
2) Has Delta determined when in 2020 the SEA-PEK-SEA routes will get the A330-900neo aircraft?
1) First delivery was scheduled for May as of a few weeks ago. I haven't heard any update since then.
​​​​​​2) DL never said that. You made it up
Old May 15, 2019, 3:35 pm

With SEA-CDG switching to 330 in April 2020, Delta will have to come up another 767 rotation out of SEA or use 2x767 to support SEA-PEK (which would be silly).

Or most likely Delta does not really have plans that far in advance and they will figure it out later.

Edited to add: SEA-CDG alone would not help to save 1x767. I guess the PEK route will stay with 767 for the foreseeable future,at least with current schedule when Delta overnights 767 in PEK before flying back to SEA. 330neo is more efficient and it needs to fly more to justify cost of buying new plane. 767 can afford to have more ground time (less fuel effient, higher maintetnance cost, less empty seats when not flying, but at the same time no mortgage to worry about) . For same reason South America routes will be probably last to get 330neo or 350.

I also think overnight at destination is also one of the reasons SEA-HKG did not work out for 330 and 777. HKG could not be done by 767, but PEK can.
BenA likes this.

Last edited by AntonS; May 15, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I think SEA-PEK will never happen on the A330neo.*

*SEA-PKX, on the other hand...

All pedantry aside, this is probably the lowest yielding route Delta has out of Seattle. Mostly because they have to compete with Hainan, which runs an old BE Diamond seat in business - so fares are low and the competition is unimpressive. The 767 is serving the market fine, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was years before this route saw suites.

Even more likely would be for DL to strategically toss SEA-PKX over to China Eastern, getting yet another new airline incentive and slot allocation from Port of Seattle and relieving themselves from having to fly the route at all. (Similar to how they have handled CDG, LHR and MEX). The main blocker on this happening is probably China’s one airline/one route policies, but there are some signs of possible liberalization happening there...
Old May 15, 2019, 10:50 pm

Slot allocation from Port of Seattle? Would love to read more on this...

Originally Posted by BenA

All pedantry aside, this is probably the lowest yielding route Delta has out of Seattle. Mostly because they have to compete with Hainan, which runs an old BE Diamond seat in business - so fares are low and the competition is unimpressive. The 767 is serving the market fine, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was years before this route saw suites.

Even more likely would be for DL to strategically toss SEA-PKX over to China Eastern, getting yet another new airline incentive and slot allocation from Port of Seattle and relieving themselves from having to fly the route at all. (Similar to how they have handled CDG, LHR and MEX). The main blocker on this happening is probably China’s one airline/one route policies, but there are some signs of possible liberalization happening there...
Old May 15, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA

Even more likely would be for DL to strategically toss SEA-PKX over to China Eastern, getting yet another new airline incentive and slot allocation from Port of Seattle and relieving themselves from having to fly the route at all. (Similar to how they have handled CDG, LHR and MEX).
Though there is still Delta metal on SEA-CDG today and in the foreseeable future
Old May 15, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by n7371f
Slot allocation from Port of Seattle? Would love to read more on this...
Slot was probably a too strong description - not formal takeoff slots like LHR, but IAF capacity planning. I am under the impression that PoS is strongly discouraging Delta from adding any more service on their own until the new IAF is complete, and that departure and arrival times are coordinated with new entrants to avoid making the midday fiasco even worse. I don’t think the Port can necessarily stop Delta if they wanted to grow the international schedule more, but the implication I’ve heard has always been that they are strongly discouraged from further growth until 2020, while the Port continues to recruit other new airlines.

As for financial incentives, landing fees are waived for he first year (and substantially reduced for the second year) for new airlines in Seattle, and the Port also contributes to marketing costs for the new route. A typical incentive package is worth north of $1 million, which is not at all chump change, particularly if it’s free money acquired by shuffling around flights within a JV.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers

I'm sure DL has a yield problem on this route - I've seen walk up fares (SEA-PEK) sell for $300 one-way during the low season. But based on the loads in the past year, I'm not very convinced that an A339neo would be successful on SEA-PEK year-round. It's a much larger plane than the 763 - 208 on the 76T vs 281 on the a339. The 76T did have more D1 seats, and maybe DL had full Y cabins but empty D1 cabins? Only revenue management at DL would know about that though.

10/2018: 73% inbound (interestingly, PEK-DTW was at 62% but still, it was lower than the other Asia flights to SEA) / 86% outbound
9/2018: 94% / 78%
8/2018: 97% / 90%
7/2018: 97% / 78%
6/2018: 91% / 97%
5/2018: 78% / 95%
4/2018: 88% / 77%
3/2018: 74% / 91%
2/2018: 89% / 91%
1/2018: 94% / 69% (DTW-PEK was at 74%)
12/2017: 83% / 94%
11/2017: 86% / 78%

The loads actually beat my expectations. Interestingly, DTW-NGO has been pulling some comparatively atrocious loads (ex: low 50s in Jan/Feb '18) and it's still around.

Not sure if DL wants to get China Eastern to fly SEA-PEK/PVG as well to flush Hainan out of the market, just as KE/DL are both flying SEA-ICN. POS seems to pull some black magic with slots and gates when they get new international carriers. But didn't CX end up with a nighttime slot though? Maybe POS is actually out of capacity with the current IAF and international flight schedule.

If DL is putting scheduling the A333 on SEA-AMS/CDG in S20 - it's possible they're placeholders for the A339? SEA-CDG hasn't seen the A330 on DL since AF started service.

Last edited by ab2013; May 16, 2019 at 12:26 am
Old May 16, 2019, 9:41 am

It just occured to me that this might be the only aircraft type to offer both Comfort+ and Premium Select. I wonder what the reasoning behind this was as they're now marketing two different Y+ models.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by discoseal
It just occured to me that this might be the only aircraft type to offer both Comfort+ and Premium Select. I wonder what the reasoning behind this was as they're now marketing two different Y+ models.
DL has said all widebodies will get the "4 seat experiences" (D1, PS, C+, Y). Most of the 777s have the 4 now (the rest will be finished by early next year). Then the A350s will get C+. Interior mods of the 767 are just beginning, but that mod includes the 4 seats.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by discoseal
The refurbed 777s all have C+ and PS now
Old May 24, 2019, 1:41 pm

Has anyone heard when Delta is getting their first A330-900neo delivery?
This morning at ATL: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/delta-welcomes-first-airbus-a330neo/

Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:56 pm

Just noticed on flightradar24 that the 2nd of Deltas A330-900NEO aircraft's (N402DX) leaves TLS at noon tomorrow. These will be the first 339 aircraft to be used on the daily SEA-PVG round trips that were delayed from 7-1 to 7-15. Delta has not slipped (to the best of my recollection) the other 2 SEA TPAC routes, so the thought is that Airbus has caught up with their delivery schedule for DL's remaining 2 339s this year. SEA-ICN 339 round trip scheduled to begin 8-1 and SEA-NRT 339 round trip scheduled to begin 8-31.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:14 pm

Just noticed on flightradar24 that the 2nd of Deltas A330-900NEO aircraft's (N402DX) leaves TLS at noon tomorrow. These will be the first 339 aircraft to be used on the daily SEA-PVG round trips that were delayed from 7-1 to 7-15. Delta has not slipped (to the best of my recollection) the other 2 SEA TPAC routes, so the thought is that Airbus has caught up with their delivery schedule for DL's remaining 2 339s this year. SEA-ICN 339 round trip scheduled to begin 8-1 and SEA-NRT 339 round trip scheduled to begin 8-31.
I hope you're right about ICN and NRT but it doesn't look likely. Last week, Delta stopped all sales of Premium Select seats on those routes until October 1, 2020. A few of us called in and it sounds like there's a memo out for a possible equipment change on those routes for the time period. I have a trip to Korea I was hoping to book in PS and upgrade with miles to Suites but the entire situation looks iffy at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.