Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta A330-900neo Best Premium Select + Seats (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta A330-900neo Best Premium Select + Seats (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RaflW
I'm well aware of both of those things. DL is maintaining 35" (as far as can be determined at this time from seat maps) for all other longhaul aircraft. 34" is okay, but it's certainly not leading the industry.
Notably, 34" is KE's standard seat pitch on long haul aircraft. On SEA-ICN, in particular, it could be rather poor form to have your Comfort+ product be identical in legroom to your partner's ordinary coach seating.

(I'm still happy to have C+ back, for the times I don't choose to buy Premium Select.)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jerryhze
Do we have a timeline for the 4 a330-900neo delivery and tail number for these planes yet?
339's group is N4xx. 1 each month in the 2019 months of April, May June, and July. N401DZ, N402DX, N402DX, and N404DX. The following dates are according to Deltas schedule: SEA-PVG-SEA 339 svc starts July 1st. SEA-ICN-SEA 339 svc starts August 1st. SEA-NRT-SEA 339 svc begins August 31st (converts from a 359 at that time). SEA-PEK-SEA is the TPAC hold out until the next set of 4 Aircraft arrives in 2020.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
SEA-PEK-SEA is the TPAC hold out until the next set of 4 Aircraft arrives in 2020.
What is your source that SEA-PEK will go to 339 in 2020?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kjnangre
What is your source that SEA-PEK will go to 339 in 2020?
It's more "SEA-PEK will definitely not go 339 until at least 2020, when the next batch of aircraft arrive", rather than a guarantee the aircraft will be upgauged by then.

SEA is the first A339 base, so assuming DL wants to keep them under one roof for a while, SEA-PEK seems a lot more likely than SEA-KIX to see the upgauge. But yields to China are pretty rough, so it's entirely possible the additional suites capacity would go to flights from other hubs or to eastbound destinations like AMS/CDG once the next batch of aircraft arrive, too. It's possible they could put a 777/359 on one of the other routes to free up a frame if something is suddenly super successful, though.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
It's more "SEA-PEK will definitely not go 339 until at least 2020, when the next batch of aircraft arrive", rather than a guarantee the aircraft will be upgauged by then.

SEA is the first A339 base, so assuming DL wants to keep them under one roof for a while, SEA-PEK seems a lot more likely than SEA-KIX to see the upgauge. But yields to China are pretty rough, so it's entirely possible the additional suites capacity would go to flights from other hubs or to eastbound destinations like AMS/CDG once the next batch of aircraft arrive, too. It's possible they could put a 777/359 on one of the other routes to free up a frame if something is suddenly super successful, though.
Well ya, we all know that. But Champlin wrote that SEA-PEK will go 339 in 2020. I suspect that is an invented "fact", but wanted to give Champlin the opportunity to provide supporting evidence in case something was announced and I missed it
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
I’m a bit worried the A339 is a bit too much plane for some of the SEA-Asia routes. It’s a substantial upgauge from the 76T - 208 to 281 seats. That’s a 35% increase.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:58 pm

Well ya, we all know that. But Champlin wrote that SEA-PEK will go 339 in 2020. I suspect that is an invented "fact", but wanted to give Champlin the opportunity to provide supporting evidence in case something was announced and I missed it
to be fair, the actual quote was:

SEA-PEK-SEA is the TPAC hold out until the next set of 4 Aircraft arrives in 2020.

That merely says that it’s a hold out at least until 2020 deliveries, not that it’s guaranteed to switch over at that point...
audidudi and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
That merely says that it’s a hold out at least until 2020 deliveries, not that it’s guaranteed to switch over at that point...
No. Very clever of you to add the words "at least" but those were not in the original post. If I say that something is on hold until a particular date, then that means that the hold ends on that date. In this case, OP (I believe) has no clue when the hold will end, or if it will ever end. And neither do you or I. We certainly have enough people on this forum who make up their own facts, last thing we need to do is encourage them.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
I’m a bit worried the A339 is a bit too much plane for some of the SEA-Asia routes. It’s a substantial upgauge from the 76T - 208 to 281 seats. That’s a 35% increase.
I think DL has the same thoughts. But the 767 J product is not even close to being competitive in TPAC markets and the MOM plane that might replace the 767 is still far in the future. DL doesn't own any 787s of course. So there aren't really any other good options. Maybe if DL can get good premium yields in the suites, they can tolerate low yields in the back of the plane
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Or, with more gates, Delta might kick off another rounds of adds xxx-SEA to help fill some of the upgauged SEA-Asia flights.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Or, with more gates, Delta might kick off another rounds of adds xxx-SEA to help fill some of the upgauged SEA-Asia flights.
Where will DL get the gates? They trimmed their schedule by a few flights (“seasonal” KIX, cut YEG/YYJ) and POS allocates gates based on number of daily departures. The actions seem to suggest that SEA has peaked in growth as a hub.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ab2013

Where will DL get the gates? They trimmed their schedule by a few flights (“seasonal” KIX, cut YEG/YYJ) and POS allocates gates based on number of daily departures. The actions seem to suggest that SEA has peaked in growth as a hub.
Multiple expansion projects are in the works at SEA. The most notable is the international Arrivals Facility, which will be implemented as an expansion of the A terminal. That doesn’t add any raw gates, but it does make the A gates usable as international arrivals, taking SEA from 12 to 20 international capable gates; FIS capacity is the real limiting factor right now, more than raw aircraft parking. (That’s part of why YYJ was so rough - there’s no preclearance there, so it counts as a flight needing FIS.)

Construction of the IAF is also quietly taking A gates offline in a rolling fashion, so the airport is down a small bit of capacity vs its final state once the project is complete.

MCT I-D will also go from 90 to 75 minutes, increasing Delta’s flexibility for timing connecting flight banks and allowing them to squeeze more out of the gates they have.

A number of expansion products are underway on the north side of the airport as well, and when AS settles into that newly created space by 2021, it may trigger some cascade moves that allow DL a bit more capacity on their side of the airport.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:29 am

I think DL has the same thoughts. But the 767 J product is not even close to being competitive in TPAC markets and the MOM plane that might replace the 767 is still far in the future. DL doesn't own any 787s of course. So there aren't really any other good options. Maybe if DL can get good premium yields in the suites, they can tolerate low yields in the back of the plane
If the acquisition cost was as low as some have speculated on the 339, it could make up for a fair amount of the difference. Remember, the 787-9 and A330-900 both have nearly identical seating capacity. (And, notably, the 339 achieves that with 2-4-2 seating in the back, which is more passenger friendly than the 787’s 3-3-3.).

It comes down to fuel efficiency and range. The 787-9 has advantages in both, so the difference is greater the longer your route length is. On short routes, the two aircraft are a lot closer in operating costs than you might think, particularly in a relatively low fuel cost environment like we are in right now. And when you factor in acquisition cost, and peanut butter the rumored $30-40M savings across all your flights, it looks even closer still.

In Delta’s case, shopping for an airplane that is based in Seattle, the advantage of range is way less important: SEA has a very favorable geographic position for an international hub - sometimes in non obvious ways. Stealing from a Port slide- FRA is closer to SEA than DFW; SIN is closer to SEA than LAX; AUH is closer to SEA than ATL; DEL is closer to SEA than JFK. That means that even SEA-SIN or SEA-SYD are within the advertised range of the 339; sure, maybe a little payload restricted, but possible. So they have a lot less need for an aircraft designed to go further like the 789.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:30 pm

Yup, I did misspeak by omitting the words "not before". Sorry, assumptions is not a good thing sometime. Other city pairs that may also be on a high priority list are: SEA-CDG, NRT-PDX, and then other TATL city pairs. Delta does want to remove as many B767-300ER's from TPAC routes as economically feasible. And lets not forget that DL also wants to migrate as many flights from NRT to HND. Speculation to the city pairs of: NRT-SIN and NRT-MNL will be not flown by Delta metal, but through other JV airport/airlines/skyteam partners in Asia (ie. most likely PVG or ICN). If Delta really wants to keep those pieces around....use HNL as the starting point and not Tokyo (just thinking out loud....uh softly, sorry)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:08 am

I’m highly skeptical of HNL connections to SIN or MNL. The experience on flights from the mainland is terrible, tailored to vacationers, and there’s no way the SIN Delta One crowd is going to suffer the HNL Sky Club or 6+ hours on a 737-900.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.