Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta A330-900neo Best Premium Select + Seats (Consolidated)

Delta A330-900neo Best Premium Select + Seats (Consolidated)

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by kjnangre
If we're comparing to the other west coast hubs (SFO, LAX) then I don't think your premise holds.
I don't think that's fair. DL always looks at the long term, not the immediate future (for example: their move at LAX which will cause 10 years of frustration but ultimately be a better long term plan).

In just a few years, they've built from a scratch a major new hub at SEA while kicking off the largest construction project in LAX history, and creating a new TPAC JV to boot. Not like they been sitting around twiddling their thumbs. This year brand new planes are coming into service at SEA, and next year new IAF facilities.
As of March 1 DL temporarily replaced B767s with A350s SEA-NRT, and A330-900neo on 07/01/2019 SEA-PVG, 08/01/19 SEA-ICN, 08/31/19 SEA-NRT (replacing A350)

Last edited by ZJ3000; Mar 25, 2019 at 2:23 am Reason: Missing info
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....and raise fares.
Despite the competition, (modified Vantage XL) D1 fares are significantly higher on A350 SEA-NRT, KE (Apex Suites) is less expensive than DL.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ZJ3000

Despite the competition, (modified Vantage XL) D1 fares are significantly higher on A350 SEA-NRT, KE (Apex Suites) is less expensive than DL.
Of course KE is cheaper - you have to connect.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by ZJ3000

As of March 1 DL temporarily replaced B767s with A350s SEA-NRT and by 2019 Q4, A330-900neo on all SEA-Asia routes
SEAPEK didnt get the a/c upgrade in the PR release last Thursday or the schedule update last weekend. Still 763.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013

SEAPEK didnt get the a/c upgrade in the PR release last Thursday or the schedule update last weekend. Still 763.
DL can only do sooo much with the 4 339's they are receiving in 2019, some of the TPAC routes will need to wait until 2020 when more arrive. SEA-NRT gets one of the 339's (which barely is able to do it daily with one A/C). SEA-ICN and SEA-PVG aren't quite so lucky as the longer distance between the city pairs will need the remaining 3 A/C to cover the daily round trips. I'm sure that Delta will place priority on the SEA-PEK in early 2020. The next on the list (speculation) might then be the PDX-NRT pair - which then leaves the remaining Pacific B767-300ER routes staying on one side of the Pacific (which kinda doesn't work either as DL needs the continuation of those A/C moving around DL's system).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

I may have been a little premature as DL still has the HNL-LAX B767-300ER city pairs as another way to retrieve them back onto the mainland - which I kinda don't see as a A/C change (from 76E's) any time soon.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
DL can only do sooo much with the 4 339's they are receiving in 2019, some of the TPAC routes will need to wait until 2020 when more arrive. SEA-NRT gets one of the 339's (which barely is able to do it daily with one A/C). SEA-ICN and SEA-PVG aren't quite so lucky as the longer distance between the city pairs will need the remaining 3 A/C to cover the daily round trips. I'm sure that Delta will place priority on the SEA-PEK in early 2020. The next on the list (speculation) might then be the PDX-NRT pair - which then leaves the remaining Pacific B767-300ER routes staying on one side of the Pacific (which kinda doesn't work either as DL needs the continuation of those A/C moving around DL's system).
Agree completely with your first sentence, only 4 339s to start, can't do everything.

But from there you went on about intra-Asia routes and flights to NRT, neither of which are likely be around much longer
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Delta had made many Delta One seats available on these ex-SEA routes when they were scheduled with the far less preferable 767-300's. They seem to have swapped the new plane in but left the copious award space, at least initially. I scored awards for SEA-PVG for 5 in Delta One, using VS miles, but that meant there were at least 5 low level D1 awards. There are still more showing on my date of travel. For some dates I was seeing 6 and 7 D1 awards available. For us it's a real win as we had CX awards out of YVR and would rather not drive up there and instead fly out of our home airport on a pretty much brand new plane. If you have AMEX MRs, it's only 60k plus a few bucks in taxes. We had moved a ton of MRs over during the last MR to VS promo so these awards have an effective cost of under 50k MRs per ticket. Strong redemption value for one of the best J products in the sky.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:19 am

I'm disappointed to see that C+ has only a 34" pitch on DL's 339s. At the stage lengths this aircraft will fly, and the price difference they'll likely want, three inches of extra pitch is crappy.

C+ is, as far as I can tell, pitched at 35" on all other long haul twin aisle aircraft in DLs fleet. Even the 75S (w/ D1) is at 35" v. 34 for the domestic 757s (and other single aisle aircraft). 34" is acceptable for three or four hours - and the domestic C+ doesn't have the increased recline (ie knee tightness and angle of IFE isn't as big an issue).

C+ is gonna feel squeezed. Poorly done, Delta.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by RaflW
I'm disappointed to see that C+ has only a 34" pitch on DL's 339s. At the stage lengths this aircraft will fly, and the price difference they'll likely want, three inches of extra pitch is crappy.

C+ is, as far as I can tell, pitched at 35" on all other long haul twin aisle aircraft in DLs fleet. Even the 75S (w/ D1) is at 35" v. 34 for the domestic 757s (and other single aisle aircraft). 34" is acceptable for three or four hours - and the domestic C+ doesn't have the increased recline (ie knee tightness and angle of IFE isn't as big an issue).

Don't forget that there are two more premium levels above this. If space is what you want, space is available
ZJ3000 and HohoGAP like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RaflW

While I agree that loosing that inch is not ideal, we should be glad they've kept C+ in the long-haul fleet after bringing in Premium Select. Much of C+ long haul is probably being given away to medallions so it's probably not a huge money maker. They want people like you to buy Premium Select. Remember that PS only has 38" of pitch and they need to differentiate between the products to make the buy up have value.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Don't forget that there are two more premium levels above this. If space is what you want, space is available
I'm well aware of both of those things. DL is maintaining 35" (as far as can be determined at this time from seat maps) for all other longhaul aircraft. 34" is okay, but it's certainly not leading the industry.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
While I agree that loosing that inch is not ideal, we should be glad they've kept C+ in the long-haul fleet after bringing in Premium Select. Much of C+ long haul is probably being given away to medallions so it's probably not a huge money maker. They want people like you to buy Premium Select. Remember that PS only has 38" of pitch and they need to differentiate between the products to make the buy up have value.
There must be money to be made (as well as elites to keep happy), since DL is investing in adding C+ back to the 777s and A350s. If it was mostly a freebie given medallions, DL may have been smarter to do a five row C+ at 35". That they think it's worth squeezing and IMO diluting their product strategy on longer segment a/c, to fit 7 rows at 34" says to me it makes revenue sense. Does it make PaxEx sense? Maybe not, as I believe Delta has generally been wise to focus on brand consistency. If people try C+ for the first time on this brand new aircraft, they may actually shy away from C+ upsells in the future if they think all DL C+ longhaul is such a meager space improvement. Can be risky to not align your product for consistency. People will remember the time it felt most cramped and 'not worth it.'

I did sample PS on the A350 and I thought for the price I paid, it was a good value. That will vary from trip to trip and how it prices out. I've even paid up to J a couple times. I'm always flying on my own dime so it's got to hit the value mark (which is of course subjective and personal).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by ab2013

re: all SEA-Asia, correction - to specific routes and dates, thanks for pointing out error.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Of course KE is cheaper - you have to connect.
point taken, it was meant to compare $$$ for hard products on similar distance on popular Asian routes. A fare comparison on google flights after D1 on A330-900neo SEA-ICN replaces 767-300s is significantly higher on D1 than KE prestige suites.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Do we have a timeline for the 4 a330-900neo delivery and tail number for these planes yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.