ATL After Eastern's Demise

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
ATL After Eastern's Demise

After the new midfield terminal at ATL was opened Delta had all of the A concourse and Eastern had all of the C concourse. Delta had half of the B concourse and Eastern had the other half. All of the other domestic airlines used the D concourse and T housed the international flights.

After Eastern ceased operations, how long did the C concourse and half of the B concourse sit empty? Obviously Delta now has all of the B concourse and half of the C concourse. But how long did it take them to increase their operations at ATL and what other hub suffered from it? Obviously the planes had to have come from some other operation. Was it from Delta's pulldown of the former Western operations at LAX? The merger between DL and Western happened around the same time of Eastern's demise.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Feb 22, 2019 at 12:46 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Man, bringing back some memories for me. I went to school in Atlanta from 91-95. All this happened before my eyes...

Scraping some stuff from the web.....

So Eastern stopped flying in Jan 1991

TWA launched an ATL hub in June 1992, using some of the former Eastern gates. It lasted until 1994.
Air South had a few gates from 1994-1997
Kiwi International Air Lines operated from September 1992 to March 1999.
Private Jet flew from 1993-1995
ValuJet began operations in October of 1993

And this old post here has a ton of meat on the bone:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531961
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Thanks for the good information. I had lost hope on this thread after it was moved from Travelbuzz to the Delta forum.

I knew about Valujet and their growth in Atlanta but didn't know TWA and a few others tried to give it a go. It's so hard to imagine Delta being so small that they only had A and half of B back then.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
The BEST thing that ever happened to ATL was Valujet/Airtran and the worst thing was Southwest buying them up. (Airtran gave ATL a great second airline that setup hits hub in ATL) I still have not forgiven Southwest for ruining Airtran

No matter what Clark Howard SAID (he now magically has changed his tune) this was never going to be a good merger for ATL.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:49 am

Valuejet/AirTran had a hull loss rate that was so high only a merger could bring about the culture change needed to bring them into line with most US airlines. Solid maintenance practices and great crew training cost money. Absent the merger with SWA far worse things may have happened.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Hull loss rate....did they lose another besides 592?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by joeyE
Hull loss rate....did they lose another besides 592?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeff767
Valuejet/AirTran had a hull loss rate that was so high only a merger could bring about the culture change needed to bring them into line with most US airlines. Solid maintenance practices and great crew training cost money. Absent the merger with SWA far worse things may have happened.
Correct and then Valujet became AirTran

What was AirTran not doing in line with the other US carriers?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
I like the description on Wikipedia: "ValuJet was aware of the problem, but did not budget to fix it and allowed the aircraft to keep flying." Yikes. I refused to ever consider ValuJet or AirTran because of their horrid safety record.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Feb 25, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Valujet had issues, but your post is completely false. AirTran was actually one of the safest airlines in the US. Things got better when AirTran/Valujet merged. No hull losses, major incidents, or major safety violations.

ValuJet was actually the successor company, but they changed the name to AirTran due to the negative reception of the ValuJet name/brand.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
On my ATL bucket list, I'd like to get a tour of the abandoned B/C tunnel that Eastern used. I don't even know if it's still accessible, but you can see the ramps that come off of B/C that I assume housed the escalators.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HDQDD
On my ATL bucket list, I'd like to get a tour of the abandoned B/C tunnel that Eastern used. I don't even know if it's still accessible, but you can see the ramps that come off of B/C that I assume housed the escalators.
Delta used it too and really not that long ago, maybe 10 years. But it wasn't much to see other than a narrow tunnel.
IndyDave likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
https://www.sunshineskies.com/atlant...ort-1990s.html

Lots of other ATL history posts on this website -- highly recommended.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I like the description on Wikipedia: "ValuJet was aware of the problem, but did not budget to fix it and allowed the aircraft to keep flying." Yikes. I refused to ever consider ValuJet or AirTrain because of their horrid safety record.
I agree the AirTrain at ATL is terrible
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joejones
https://www.sunshineskies.com/atlant...ort-1990s.html

Lots of other ATL history posts on this website -- highly recommended.
I like that and the first picture showing Eastern covering the whole terminal with a little Delta tail at the other terminal is how I wish DL would sometimes treat their business. Eastern certainly was the prominent airline here and all of the sudden they were gone, and one day DL could be in the same boat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.