Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New DL gates at AUS - terminal expansion opens today!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold

Major points:

•Operating from gates 5, 7, 9, 11; soon to include the evens...
•Open, modern feel. Lots of artwork.
•SkyClub still 2-3 months out, but looks very cool.
•Seats in waiting area each have USB and one 110V / 2 seats.
•Interesting seating bays with comfy chairs (no power).
•Restaurants aplenty and local but not open for 2 ish more weeks.
•Intl arrivals appears much better planned.

Excited to see what DL will do here in AUS!

Grouchy and railmatt like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:01 pm

Can't wait! I'm a bit biased because I grew up here, but AUS is one of my favorite airports in the country. Food is also some of the best you can find in an airport.

Do you know if the outdoor viewing area is open yet?
DeltaFan4Now likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redct
Do you know if the outdoor viewing area is open yet?
I couldn’t find it. I suspect it’s accessed from the not-yet-open SkyClub.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
We were on the first flight out this morning (DL2298 to AUS) and were glad to see the new gates open. We were wondering when it had opened and noticed as we were leaving the gate that there were a few people taking photos. Turns out we were first!

It looks to be a nice expansion though and I can't wait to see everything else open around the gates (no stores or anything yet just a few kiosks). The rumor is the SkyClub opens in May, so we'll see. A great addition for AUS and glad it's my home base.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Reminds med a lot of the newer area of SAN. Looks great — and much better than Delta's old space.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:17 pm

I flew in last night and out tomorrow. Didn’t realize how new it was. FWIW, despite the new gates, we sat on the ramp waiting last night due to ground stop in ATL. They have have already filled the new capacity!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Wondering when/if they'll add AUS-AMS/CDG. That SkyClub is supposed to be pretty sweet.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by ab2013
Wondering when/if they'll add AUS-AMS/CDG. That SkyClub is supposed to be pretty sweet.
New SkyClub is supposed to be dope with the "Oculus" interior deck feature that overlooks the inside of the terminal extension, as well as the Skydeck, which makes it unprecedented for an outstation SC. Pictures in the link. AUS-AMS is under serious consideration, they've already run a 764 limited for SXSW.

Frosted glass has been added to the Oculus moon tower design feature of the 9-gate expansion that is under construction at the Austin airport. At 8,974 square feet, the Oculus is a mezzanine-level circular design that is raised 21.5 feet high from the concourse. The upper-level mezzanine Oculus will be part of the new Delta Sky Club. Under the Oculus on the concourse level is 2,750 square feet of restaurant development space open to all passengers.
https://www.austintexas.gov/blog/gat...omplex-planned

Edit, much better picture of the finished product here.

​​​​​​https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2019/02/21/first-look-abia-opens-350-terminal-expansion.html#g/450189/1

Last edited by traconbeac; Feb 22, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Major points:

•Seats in waiting area each have USB and one 110V / 2 seats.

2 USB, 1 110 v, and a cup holder!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Angry

Outbound was OT and uneventful. Return was complicated by a non-functioning jet bridge at our gate. Brand. New. Non-functioning. Very disappointing, especially since the FA remarked "Oh no, not again..." Waited 30 minutes while the ground crew did a Benny Hill routine up and down the stairs of the jet bridge, measuring random things with a tape measure and eventually bringing us to another gate. Growing pains, to be sure, but annoying at midnight.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ICClouseau
We were on the first flight out this morning (DL2298 to AUS) and were glad to see the new gates open. We were wondering when it had opened and noticed as we were leaving the gate that there were a few people taking photos. Turns out we were first!

It looks to be a nice expansion though and I can't wait to see everything else open around the gates (no stores or anything yet just a few kiosks). The rumor is the SkyClub opens in May, so we'll see. A great addition for AUS and glad it's my home base.
I was told first day would be May 20th by one of the long time checkin agents that is moving to the Skyclub from checkin. Of course that can change, but I was happy and sad to hear she was making the move. One of the best agents there IMO.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
So the old Gate 3 is now what number, Gate 13?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.