Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Removes Global Entry Voucher from Choice Benefits as of Today (2/21/2019)

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Ran across this while looking for something else this morning. Doesn't really affect me because my wife and I have always been on different renewal schedules

FEBRUARY 21, 2019

Global Entry Voucher as a Choice Benefit to be discontinued

Effective February 21, 2019, Global Entry vouchers will no longer be offered as a Choice Benefit option for Diamond and Platinum Medallion®Members.

Diamond Medallion Members may continue to select three of the following Choice Benefit options:
  • Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates
  • Delta Sky Club® Membership
  • 25,000 Bonus miles
  • $200 Travel Voucher
  • $200 Tiffany & Co. Gift Card
  • Gift Gold Medallion Status
Platinum Medallion Members may continue to selection one of the following Choice Benefit options:
  • Regional Upgrade Certificates
  • 20,000 Bonus miles
  • $200 Travel Voucher
  • $200 Tiffany & Co. Gift Card
  • Gift Silver Medallion Status

Learn more about Choice Benefits.

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can get a GE credit on the regular USA Plat AmEx charge card, so I wonder if perhaps this will be added as a Reserve card benefit.

It's a bit odd as the cost is only $100 or $200 for one or two people (PM and DM IIRC) versus the $200 gift cards (DL and IIRC Tiffany), where maybe there was a lot more breakage on the DL gift cards and DL might be getting a big discount from Tiffany since there are also some Tiffany MM gifts (and also some of us got the Tiffany flower bowl gift at the time of the merger).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:02 pm

I bet very few people selected GE as a Choice Benefit.
jaimemayo and jamesteroh like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:10 pm

My guess is it just got so little usage it wasn’t worth their time to administer as a benefit. How many high-level medallions can there be who don’t have a travel card already offering this? And it’s only going to be chosen every several years, and is of obviously lower value than most of the other options.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Either that or the Government is so slow with renewals and new approvals since the shutdown that DL was tired of hearing about it from folks who could not get enrolled or renewed in a timely manner.
My online renewal for Trusted Traveler from early December is still pending.

Alert at ttp.dbp.dhs.gov....
The extended partial government shutdown has resulted in a substantial backlog of CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) applications and renewals.
Applicants for Global Entry (GE), SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST should expect significant delays in application processing times and limited appointment availability at TTP enrollment centers.
Conditionally approved GE members should seek to complete their GE interviews without an appointment upon arrival from an international flight at any of the 49 airports participating in CBP's Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) program.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If you do any travel to Canada NEXUS at $50 gives you GE + Canadian
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Agree. I can't imagine flying 125000 MQM a year without already having TSAPre and/or GE.
MCI777 and Duke787 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Gig103
Agree. I can't imagine flying 125000 MQM a year without already having TSAPre and/or GE.
My wife and I are both DMs, flying 250K+ per year, mostly international, and neither of us have Pre or GE.
CO-PLAT and Spiff like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta

My wife and I are both DMs, flying 250K+ per year, mostly international, and neither of us have Pre or GE.
Wait until that one bad lineup with hundreds of people coming off international flights at the same time and you are exhausted and you will apply. It just takes that one bad experience.
TheHorta, wrp96, hi55us and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by TheHorta

It can be done. I can't imagine doing it though! I don't like flying at all without Pre!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

Wait until that one bad lineup with hundreds of people coming off international flights at the same time and you are exhausted and you will apply. It just takes that one bad experience.
Some people have more pride than that and believe strongly in classical liberalism. I too am a non-pre/GE Diamond and I would wait in line for days before actively supporting a system that creates special privileges for those that meet an arbitrary risk score output by a secret algorithm using inputs that may or may be right with no process for judicial review. It is no better than the Chinese social credit system that is rightfully mocked in the US.

I would give Delta kudos for axing the Global Entry voucher, but I doubt it was based on any principle given how in bed Delta is in general with the DHS.
Spiff and TheHorta like this.

Last edited by ethernal; Feb 21, 2019 at 6:31 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
That would be my guess as well. The cost is $100 and it’s good for five years. Those who want it would likely have already paid for it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are we moving toward facial recognition?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Some people have more pride than that and believe strongly in classical liberalism. I too am a non-pre/GE Diamond and I would wait in line for days before actively supporting a system that creates special privileges for those that meet an arbitrary risk score output by a secret algorithm using inputs that may or may be right with no process for judicial review. It is no better than the Chinese social credit system that is rightfully mocked in the US.

I would give Delta kudos for axing the Global Entry voucher, but I doubt it was based on any principle given how in bed Delta is in general with the DHS.
So how often do you give up your complimentary upgrade to someone below you on the upgrade list?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

So how often do you give up your complimentary upgrade to someone below you on the upgrade list?
I am not sure how that has any relevance to my comment.
TheHorta and CO-PLAT like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.