Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful customer service after diversion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should make sure that your return ticket and itinerary are intact.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
I don't generally try to bash an OP but there are a few points here for now and future consideration. Number 1, seize the situation. I know it isn't always easy.

As at least one other said, what about the "Delta agent meeting this flight?" There is always one. That jetway doesn't move by itself. I suppose they could have ran off but I don't think that is within policy. And there is the ticket counter. You couldn't have been the only one to miss a connection.

OK, that was a mistake on the agents part and a poor choice of words

They CAN and they WILL. As another posted, all aircraft aren't equal on landing but more importantly is just a limited number of planes that can land when volume is reduced. Sure Delta contributes to this with general high volume in ATL. They are SOMEWHAT in control before the plane is in the air but ATC is in control on arriving.

I think that sounds like a brilliant plan. Why was this option not exercised? About 10 seconds after running into problems at this hour, I would have been seeking a hotel on my own, reimbursed or not.

I hear the horror stories of travel and I can share a few of my own. But I wonder how many horror stories I have avoided but just taking control. Granted that has come with a ton of experience. Maybe my first supervisor helped me from the beginning. I got stuck at EWR with no place to go. I called airport hotels and they were all sold out. This was before the days of apps and free airport wi-fi. I called the supervisor and he said to go rent a car and drive until I found a place to stay and I did. Adapt and overcome.
You are really missing the point which was about some of the inane responses from customer service and the new reservation not showing up. I was there. I saw the agent meeting the flight refuse to discuss the situation with any passenger and direct them all to phones. By the time I got off the phone, all airside agents were absent from Terminal A. Yes, we have all had IRROPS and we all need to decide how to best handle the situation. I did what was right for me in this situation, given I was allegedly rebooked on Delta via Tokyo at 11 AM. Getting a room for three or four hours was ridiculous for me, even tho the phone agent and subsequent phone agent supervisor said Delta would pay. As to why the new itinerary did not show up in My Delta, even Sky Club personnel could not answer that but since they could issue the new BOs without problem, who cares!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should make sure that your return ticket and itinerary are intact.
That is now showing even though there is nothing showing I ever left TPA. This will all get sorted.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Even if this was one ticket, I wouldn't be suprirsed if the system gets confused due to the diversion. The diversion still shows as a completed flight, even if not to the correct destination, and then the recovery leg a separate segment. It could easily be the TPA-ATL segment was recorded as complete due to the diversion, then thinks the ATL-ICN as a no-show and auto-cancels the remaining because the previous segment was completed, and then the passenger didn't show. An agent quickly looking at the reservation might just see that, and without looking further. realize that it wasn't actually a "no show" but instead a quirk in the system, that probably isn't set up to routinely handle diversions which then cause a missed INTL connection.
Yeah, this. No diversion and just a late flight instead, and a lot of stuff would look different. I think the system "no-showed" you to the max.

Also, anyone who has to overnight at ATL for a few hours, remember the Minute Suites if you do not want to leave the airport. It's way better than nothing. And I bet DL would reimburse it after the fact in a situation like this.

Good luck getting your itinerary rebuilt and points properly awarded. And hopefully an extra segment for TPA-TLH-ATL
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by dlffla
Yep, none airside in Teminal A
I agree with you that it is bad form for DL to have no airside agents as long as they have connecting pax (which is likely always). And I would have thought concourse A is the obvious spot for the last agents.

I probably would have gone to the terminal and get it handled there, but that does not excuse what I also would consider to be a fail.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by dlffla
I had one itinerary.
First, thanks for coming back and clearing the air.

Second, if one itinerary, aside from “acts of God” (never liked that expression) DL is obligated to get you to your ticketed destination as quickly as possible and at no additional expense to you, or back to your point of origin with a full refund and some form of compensation.

At least that is my understanding in a nutshell.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can't find an agent in concourse A, my instinct would be to examine the flight monitors and look for gates where there are some flights yet to land or depart and try going to that area of the airport.

I know that in some airports, all of the very early and very late flights tend to be assigned to the same concourse where possible (and that concourse is also more likely to have F&B outlets and other merchants with extended hours).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or head to the counters. While nobody wants to go through a checkpoint more times that necessary, it seemed evident that OP faced some number of hours at ATL. Perhaps there were agents somewhere, but it's a large airport. There is always a staffed counter.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
A couple of thoughts.

People keep pointing out the minute suites, but if ATL is in a weather meltdown to the point that DL is out of hotel rooms then the minute suites are probably full.

the other thing is “What about the agent meeting the flight”. My experience in ATL is that they flat out refuse to help. I was forced to overnight in ATL in Dec, the only thing the agent meeting the flight would say was “Scan your boarding pass”. She 100 percent refused to talk about helping people.

I also got caught up in the Thur night mess. All the agent meeting the plane would say was “go to the service center at B19” I was flying MEM - ATL - IAH and we had both mechanical and weather delays. I was on twitter asking them to hold the IAH flight, but got nothing, I got to the gate at 10:50 PM and the agent was already down the jetway. The system shows them departed at 1055. DL would rather me sleep on the airport floor than hold the last already delayed flight a couple of minutes. you know what the agent said? Go to B19 for rebooking.

The entire DL staff at ATL needs to learn some things about customer service and service recovery. During these two issues I talked to probably 8 - 10 gate agents, red coats, and sky club agents. Not a single one ever said “I’m sorry about the delay, I know this is frustrating, let me see what I can do to help”. That is customer service 101 and it is sorely lacking from ATL. Instead everyone is just trying to pass the buck to overloaded rebooking stations, or in the dec case told me to go outside security.

We we all know how to work around this, but what about the people who don’t fly every week. I had to help a guy who was traveling alone with two pre-school aged kids get sorted out, it was the first time he had ever flown. That guy is never going to fly delta again, becauuse when the gate agent scanned his boarding pass and got his auto-rebooking printout she wouldn’t even talk to him or make eye contact. Just kept looking at the next person saying “scan your boarding pass” and ignoring his pleas for help.

If if all we get is “scan your boarding pass” and “go to B19” we don’t need gate agents. The new automated gates will suffice.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Second, if one itinerary, aside from “acts of God” (never liked that expression) DL is obligated to get you to your ticketed destination as quickly as possible and at no additional expense to you, or back to your point of origin with a full refund and some form of compensation.
I'm not sure that a trip in vain return to point of origin entitles one to compensation. It's not something I've tried with Delta, nor have I seen it documented in the Contract of Carriage or fare rules.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm not sure that a trip in vain return to point of origin entitles one to compensation. It's not something I've tried with Delta, nor have I seen it documented in the Contract of Carriage or fare rules.
I’m sure that’s true, but I had a nightmare trip in 2017 — three consecutive equipment failures that caused me to miss a hard meeting — so they got me home and gave me 30K SMs for the trouble, without having to ask.

I assume it was because of status and not policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.