Wiki Posts
Search

Awful customer service after diversion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Awful customer service after diversion

I had a reservation yesterday to fly from TPA to ATL. and then onto Singapore via Seoul. My flight from TPA left 35 minutes late but then was diverted to Tallahassee because of weather in Atlanta and they did not have enough fuel to keep holding. Fine. But we never left Tallahassee until 1 AM and my flight to Seoul at 1 AM took off without me. I get to Atlanta and, with no agents in sight, call Delta. The agent said I was a no-show for the Seoul flight and therefore he kept getting an error message when he tried to re-book me. Finally, after an excruciatingly long period of time, he managed to do so. But when I asked what I was supposed to do between then (3:15 AM) and 11 AM when the new flight leaves, he said to go to the agent and arrange for accommodation. There are no agents. So he said to wait until they came in in the morning. Even though my flight was diverted because of weather, many flights landed at ATL during the evening so they cannot say it was weather alone). I asked to speak to a supervisor and she tells me that I am entitled to accommodation (based on my Delta 1 fare and status) but all the vouchers are “sold out.” She suggested I could find a place to stay on my own and put in for re-imbursement. I have decided to just sit in the airport until the Sky Clubs open at 6 but honestly, telling me I am a no show after all that takes real gall. And they should have at least an agent or two around. Finally, when I log in to My Delta, it says I have no additional flight segments beyond Atlanta. I called Delta back and they said they definitely have a reservation for me to go on to Singapore. Let us hope so.I guess I am just venting.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I would suggest you find an agent and get the BPs reprinted. The Sky Club can handle this.

ATL is 24*7 btw, I suspect what you mentioned was there were no agents in your concourse?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I was under the impression that if you book your own separate itineraries— in your case TPA>ATL then a separate itinerary for ATL>SIN — instead of booking TPA>SIN on a single itinerary, that the PAX was liable for the consequences should something happen to itinerary #1???

I know DL will often help, out of courtesy, and will usually interline checked bags as well (as they did for my HSV>IAD + IAD>NBO separate trips) but I thought they were under no obligation to accommodate you in such cases.

Am I mistaken?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I was under the impression that if you book your own separate itineraries— in your case TPA>ATL then a separate itinerary for ATL>SIN — instead of booking TPA>SIN on a single itinerary, that the PAX was liable for the consequences should something happen to itinerary #1???

I know DL will often help, out of courtesy, and will usually interline checked bags as well (as they did for my HSV>IAD + IAD>NBO separate trips) but I thought they were under no obligation to accommodate you in such cases.

Am I mistaken?
I am not under the impression that the OP had two separate itineraries?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by pgh234
I am not under the impression that the OP had two separate itineraries?
Perhaps OP could clarify?

I’m sitting here at Lounge 52 in AMS after our NBO>AMS leg. We’re about to board AMS>IAD, where — hopefully — we’ll arrive in time for our separate IAD>HSV itinerary. I know I am always taking a chance when I do it this way, but I’ve been fortunate thusfar that this routine practice hasn’t had any significant deleterious effect, but I assume my luck will run out one day.

I estimate this has saved us >$100K on international itineraries over the last few years instead of buying J straight from HSV. On this particular trip, the combined F/J fares are ~$5K per person, whereas booking straight from HSV was >$9K/pp, although it was 6 hours shorter travel time.

We’ll take the $8K in combined savings for the extra 6 hours of travel time and the potential risks, though I always book fares with a healthy number of hours in between itineraries, which is why there’s an extra six hours.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Perhaps OP could clarify?

I’m sitting here at Lounge 52 in AMS after our NBO>AMS leg. We’re about to board AMS>IAD, where — hopefully — we’ll arrive in time for our separate IAD>HSV itinerary. I know I am always taking a chance when I do it this way, but I’ve been fortunate thusfar that this routine practice hasn’t had any significant deleterious effect, but I assume my luck will run out one day.

I estimate this has saved us >$100K on international itineraries over the last few years instead of buying J straight from HSV. On this particular trip, the combined F/J fares are ~$5K per person, whereas booking straight from HSV was >$9K/pp, although it was 6 hours shorter travel time.

We’ll take the $8K in combined savings for the extra 6 hours of travel time and the potential risks, though I always book fares with a healthy number of hours in between itineraries, which is why there’s an extra six hours.
I’ve been burned once, on an AS SEA-ORD connecting to a KL ORD-AMS-IST across separate tickets (years ago when they were still partners). It was fixable but cost us an extra $650 upfare per person. Not ideal, but on the self-insurance plan we have still come out far ahead from using positioning flights in general.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If there were “no agents” then who pulled the jetway up to the plane? ATL is staffed 24/7. Rest assured there were agents in the airport.
FlyingNone and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are several things going on:

1. Not every aircraft, nor every crew, has the same bad-weather capability. That some planes landed in ATL and the OP's didn't really isn't telling.

2. The Contract of Carriage doesn't promise hotels for weather. I doubt the fare rule does, either. It's not in the published elite benefits. It's a courtesy that may be extended to some passengers.

3. Yes, in bad weather the number of contracted hotel rooms can be exhausted. Try Hotel Tonight, Priceline, your favorite chain app or whatever and request reimbursement (after you get the name of the agent that says you're entitled to a room).

4. As for 'no agents,' the task is finding someone who is ready to help. I'm not going to pound on crew room doors throughout the concourse. DL could have had people to meet the late-arriving plane.
bosman and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has not provided important details, but to put this in context, I presume that he was on DL 946 departing TPA at 19:59. This aircraft was diverted to TLH after holding for ATL and landed at TLH at 22:53, holding at TLH for approximately one hour, departing TLH at 01:39 and arriving at DL at 02:52.

There would have been an agent meeting the flight, agents at the counters (albeit outside security), and agents at the SC opening at 05:00. I am not sure that I would expect a hotel at 03:00, but it is reasonable for DL to have handed out all available rooms by that point. Apparently OP was approved for a room but chose not to obtain one. I probably would have, even if only for a few hours, but that is a personal choice.

As to the onwards flight, we are missing a critical fact and without it, hard to comment. Was OP on one or two tickets. If the former, he was connecting and if not, he was transferring between two tickets. Annoying if the former that he was a posted as a "no show" rather than simply holding for reroute, but it was apparently fixed. As OP is at the airport he can presumably print a BP at a kiosk or have one printed at the SC or pretty much from any agent available.

So, really need to hear about the one vs. two ticket issue.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
If I had an overnight to kill in ATL and no agent in sight, I would head to Minute Suites on concourse B or T and deal with rebooking over the phone while walking. And if the agent can't help, call back and try a different one. Shower in the SkyClub E or F in the morning.

Submit the minute suites receipt to DL later for possible courtesy reimbursement.
freecia, TiggBro and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The fact that the OP cannot sew additional segments suggests to me that the rebooking wasn't done properly. I would guess that the phone agent changed the reservation but failed to have the ticket reissued (or just sent it to some reissue queue) so OP should be sure to allow lots and lots of time to get boarding passes.

Even at 3 am, I would have gotten a hotel room given that the new flight leave after midnight, assuming that the OP was rebooked with the remaining outbound flights all one full day later. I would try for a room in a chain (Hyatt or Starriott/Bonvoy)with which I have guaranteed 4 pm checkout privileges. IIRC OP is also facing a very long connection at ICN to get to SIN and it would be miserable to do this after spoending almost 24 hours sitting in an airport, even if there's a D1 flight in the interim. [Wrost case is that if one can afford a D1 ticket, one can afford a couple hundred dollars for a hotel room.]
HMPS and emrdoc like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The fact that the OP cannot sew additional segments suggests to me that the rebooking wasn't done properly. I would guess that the phone agent changed the reservation but failed to have the ticket reissued (or just sent it to some reissue queue) so OP should be sure to allow lots and lots of time to get boarding passes.

Even at 3 am, I would have gotten a hotel room given that the new flight leave after midnight, assuming that the OP was rebooked with the remaining outbound flights all one full day later. I would try for a room in a chain (Hyatt or Starriott/Bonvoy)with which I have guaranteed 4 pm checkout privileges. IIRC OP is also facing a very long connection at ICN to get to SIN and it would be miserable to do this after spoending almost 24 hours sitting in an airport, even if there's a D1 flight in the interim. [Wrost case is that if one can afford a D1 ticket, one can afford a couple hundred dollars for a hotel room.]
OP stated that the rebooked flight was 11:00 AM so only 8 hours to kill in ATL
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
OP stated that the rebooked flight was 11:00 AM so only 8 hours to kill in ATL
Sorry, I missed that and assumed that OP was placed on the midnight or so DL departure to ICN in the 350 with suites. Is the 11 am flight operated by DL or KE, or could the OP have been rebooked via NRT?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hopefully OP played a proactive role in rebooking and selected the best alternative which had availability (presuming that this was one ticket).

I too would grab a hotel room even for 3-4 hours on a trip such as this. If DL won't cover it, travel insurance ought to, particularly because most policies would look to the delay as starting at the time the TPA flight was due into ATL.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta DM

Am I mistaken?
Hypothetical situation: if I book a ticket on DL LAS-LAX and then a separate DL ticket LAX-wherever, and the flight to LAX is delayed due to something other than weather (aka Delta's fault) and I miss my LAX flight, is DL responsible for compensation and/or booking me on a new flight out of LAX? I've done this before because for whatever reason LAS-LAX-Destination is always more expensive than LAS-LAX and then LAX-Destination. Just curious about this. I've been lucky so far but it's always in the back of my mind "what if" something like this happened?

OPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.