Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Highs and Lows of Customer Care All in One Day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

Due to a family emergency, I needed to fly GSP-ATL-PNS On Tuesday with about 60 minutes' notice.

The DL phone agents were more than accommodating as I drove to GSP. They waived the applicable change fees and were incredibly empathetic. While at the gate, I was on the phone with a family member and missed an announcement from the pilot but a passenger standing nearby told me the plane had gone mechanical due to a lightning strike.

At the GA desk, a long line had already backed up. I saw a group of FAs standing to the side of the desk chatting. I approached them and briefly explained my situation and asked if they had any additional information. One FA offered a hug while the other went directly to the GA. While we discussing my options, both the FAs and I receive a text stating there was a 4.5 hour delay. This would cause me to miss my connection in ATL.

The FA returned from the desk with a receipt (not a BP) and said "Drive to Atlanta now. This is the only way you'll get home tonight. Call when you're in the car and confirm the details but you're taken care of." The receipt indicated I'd been confirmed (with a seat assignment) on the first ATL-PNS flight and protected on a later flight. I thanked them profusely and got on the road.

Mid-drive, I called in and the phone agent confirmed my ATL-PNS ticket would NOT be cancelled because I missed the GSP-ATL flight. She also confirmed I was protected on the later ATL-PNS flight in case I got hung up in traffic.

I get to ATL and my BP wouldn't pull up in the app. I go to the DL desk and they can't find anything regarding the earlier ATL-PNS flight I'm supposed to be booked on. I show her the screen shot from my app and she says "I can't see that. The best I can do is standby." She gives me a BP for a standby request the earlier flight and a BP with a seat assignment for the later flight.

I get to the gate and they're boarding FC. My name is not on the standby screen. I approach the GA and she says "Can I help you?" and I say "I have a standby seat request but my name isn't on the screen." She says "I have to get this flight out on time. A red coat will be with you shortly." She pages the red coat over the radio.

Boarding progresses and a queue of standby passengers builds up. Slowly, each other standby passenger gets a BP, including two pilots and a handful of FAs. The GA makes the final boarding call and I'm the lone passenger standing at the desk. She looks to me and asks "What's your name?" She keys my name in and says "You're not on this flight. You're supposed to be in Greenville." I began to explain what happened and she said interrupts me with "Flight's full. Red coat will be here soon to help." She grabs the manifest and heads to the jetway.

The red coat shows up while the FA is at the plane. Within 30 seconds of looking in the computer he says "Yeah, I see you should have been on this flight. She (referring to the GA) just didn't read the screen right. But, here's your BP for the next flight." I was so exhausted I didn't pursue any additional explanation. I thanked him and left for the next flight.

1. DL was under no obligation to waive my fees and be so accommodating earlier in the day. For that, I am incredibly grateful.
2. The FAs and GA in GSP went above and beyond. Simple gesture of empathy go a long way, especially on stressful days.
3. I got home and that's what matters.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by aww3583
The red coat shows up while the FA is at the plane. Within 30 seconds of looking in the computer he says "Yeah, I see you should have been on this flight. She (referring to the GA) just didn't read the screen right. But, here's your BP for the next flight." I was so exhausted I didn't pursue any additional explanation. I thanked him and left for the next flight.
This is the sad state of customer service in ATL.

Sorry for your family issues, glad you got home without having to drive the whole way.

David
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Glad you made it home.
And I get that labor costs money, but still wonder about why any airline thinks it can work a departure with only 1 agent.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder how a DL GA can think that this is an acceptable way to behave and also why the redcoat didn't do something to correct/teach/retrain the GA and solve the problem.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DiverDave

Sorry for your family issues, glad you got home without having to drive the whole way.

David
On the flip side, a gentleman walked up after me and said he did not have a BP. Yes, you read that right, no BP. He showed the GA his phone where his purchase receipt email was displayed.

The GA asked for his ID and clicked around in the computer. She said “you’re good. 23B.” No idea if he was non-rev, etc.

He likely has the opposite view of the customer service that I do.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

On the flip side, a gentleman walked up after me and said he did not have a BP. Yes, you read that right, no BP. He showed the GA his phone where his purchase receipt email was displayed.

The GA asked for his ID and clicked around in the computer. She said “you’re good. 23B.” No idea if he was non-rev, etc.

I've done this before. Sometimes things get so complex it's easier to just buy a brand new ticket and straighten the old one out later. Sometimes (either though DL's channels or TAs) you can buy a ticket after the check-in cut off therefore you need to see an agent to get a BP.

Doesn't excuse the GA's behavior but it could explain the guy in 23B.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Please complain about this. Either that GA was incredibly incompetent and lazy or she was far too busy doing favors for friends and family, including whatever nonrevs were on the standby list for that flight.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
The GA makes the final boarding call and I'm the lone passenger standing at the desk. She looks to me and asks "What's your name?" She keys my name in and says "You're not on this flight. You're supposed to be in Greenville." I began to explain what happened and she said interrupts me with "Flight's full. Red coat will be here soon to help." She grabs the manifest and heads to the jetway.
This really stinks - why is the GA making a final boarding call if the flight is full? It sounds like the GA really fouled up and threw it to the redcoat.

Like I said - that's the sad state of customer service in Atlanta. And obviously Delta is good with it.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...

3. I got home and that's what matters.
I've had a really hard time focusing on 3 at points.

It has been much much easier with DL than UA, the biggest challenges are always when you miss the events you flew for. Christmas dinner... Wedding Reception dinner...

UA was going to make me late for my father's funeral, until I finally got a CSR with a problem solving aptitude, who saw I could make a flight because it was also delayed at my connection for the same reason I was.

Sorry about the family event, and glad you made it home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.