Wiki Posts
Search

How use GUCs for HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
How use GUCs for HKG?

Since SEA-HKG is gone, DL wants us to go through ICN to/from HKG. (I start and end in OKC.)

I did HKG-ICN last year with paid D1 and liked the routing and aircraft.

However, now I will either be hit with a heavy PWM total - which gets no MQD credit - or I must manage the 4 hour KE flights in economy.

I am a DVT/PE patient that would worry about 4 hours in KE economy at least as the final segment.

Am I missing another way of getting at this? The DM agent could not find O on any other routing for my days of travel (June 19-27).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Especially if your travel dates are fixed, I'd look for DL TPAC flights with confirmable D1 upgrade space and then consider buying a separate ticket from ICN, TPE, HND/NRT, PVG etc. to HKG, either using miles on a DL partner or just allowing lots of time and purchasing a separate ticket, for example doing an overnight connection at the GH ICN for convenience. Depending on the length of the intraAsia flight, you might want to do that in business class, although these flights can easily cost $1000-$1500 OW in (regional) business class, which tends to mean 2-3-2 on KE.You won't earn (or be able to use) DL miles, but don't forget some of the better Asian carriers such as CX, OZ, JAL, ANA if you need to purchase a separate ticket; connecting through ICN to stay on SkyTeam (and avoid mainland China) can mean that you waste an entire day flying within Asia.

I know PMNW always said that they used married segment availability for upgrade inventory on TATL flights connecting intraEU on KLM, so there could be subtle married segment inventory issues in trying to get your flat bed seats. OTOH, recently DL phone agents on the DM line have apparently just searched for D1 upgrade inventory by looking at all TATL or TPAC flights from anywhere in the USA on the desired date.

By June, DL will be operating the new MSP-ICN flight and also AFAIK the daily MSP-HND nonstop, so I would expect decent upgrade space on these routes, which would be quite reasonable connections from OKC.

Check also for cheap fares on certain DL partners such as MU through PVG where it would make sense to just purchase a business class ticket, although for these you might need to take a separate ticket to the USA gateway airport such as LAX (and to be safe with the separate ticket, ideally an overnight there) or maybe ORD, NYC, etc. Personally I don't like MU but the business class flat bed seats are considered to be excellent.

If ICN-HKG weren't quite as long, I'd be tempted to just suffer in coach given that their seats have more pitch than DL, but IME KE isn't very nice about assigning good seats to DL elites, say I don't think you can count on an aisle or exit row at all, even if you are able to pick it now.
Xeno likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

You have given me many good avenues to pursue. I will first check on TPE and PVG as those flights to/from HKG in economy would be manageable.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
You have given me many good avenues to pursue. I will first check on TPE and PVG as those flights to/from HKG in economy would be manageable.
I just realized that I might not have been clear that DL doesn't seem to fly to TPE any more, and you can't use GUCs on China Air, although their tickets might be cheap or you might be able to get a SkyTeam Upgrade Award (although a high fare would be required, if they participate at all). Alternatively, you might find a cheap ticket (not SkyTeam) in business class on EVA, although they've been having some strike problems recently.

MU through CAN would be another idea, although most of their TPAC flights go through PVG or PEK (to be avoided if possible due to ATC delays, for weather as well as military exercises).
Xeno likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks. The other roadblocks I just remembered is that SEA-PVG did not have O. I was willing to do economy PVG-HKG.

Compounding the outbound problems is that they were routing me MSP-ICN but my connecting flight at MSP from OKC is less about 50 minutes. If I am not late, it would still be a run to catch the flight and the OHB space above my seat would be gone. I never get the Porsche do doubt even that would make a difference.

I did appreciate the DL agent trying to just get B on the ICN/HKG/ICN segments but that did not work. B for the entire ticket is almost the same as regular D1.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

OpUp on KE or MU

So this thread makes me think that no one thinks I can get out of a bad economy seat if I do ICN/HKG/ICN as part of a DL ticket upgraded to D1 using GUCs, right?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:19 am

I don't know. My own experiences on KE haven't been very positive regarding seats as a DM, and I avoid MU, but earlier there were a bunch of folks here who claimed to get lots of OPUPs on KE.

However, if you have health concerns and it's long flight, do you want to take a chance regarding *possibly* getting the OPUP or even a decent seat on a short flight?

If the only flight to MSP has such a short connection, could you do an overnight connection here? Under 24 hours shouldn't impact the price as it's not considered a stopover on international, and there are some nice airport hotels with good shuttle service that can be very reasonably priced...or you could take the light rail downtown and have a nice afternoon/evening on your way to HongKong. With only 50 minutes, you could make it to the gate and discover that your D1 suite has been given to a nonrev, although the GA might be Minnesota nice and let you board if there are some empty (middle) coach seats remaining that haven't been assigned.
Xeno likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
You may want to consider paying for JFK/LAX-HKG on a ST partner -- Xiamen or MU. Not sure of your dates or length of stay but $2100/2500 for business class is possible. And use SM to get to LAX.
Or LAX-SZX and then take the ferry or bus to HKG. https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Shenzhe...-SZX/Hong-Kong
I know some folks don't like MU, but I had pretty good flights last December, can't speak to Xiamen, but the transPac is a 787.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
You may want to consider paying for JFK/LAX-HKG on a ST partner -- Xiamen or MU. Not sure of your dates or length of stay but $2100/2500 for business class is possible. And use SM to get to LAX.
Or LAX-SZX and then take the ferry or bus to HKG. https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Shenzhe...-SZX/Hong-Kong
I know some folks don't like MU, but I had pretty good flights last December, can't speak to Xiamen, but the transPac is a 787.
Careful with this as taking a bus or ferry between mainland China and Hong Kong might require a visa. Check current rules in the big sticky TWOV thread in the China destination forum (and then be prepared to argue about the rules with DL GAs and redcoats who cannot use TIMATIC correctly).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Careful with this as taking a bus or ferry between mainland China and Hong Kong might require a visa.
Sorry, should have thought of that -- I'm sitting with a 10 year China visa in my passport that expires when the passport does, so didn't think about that.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
Thank you. I must go to a ‘banquet’ momentarily (here in Chile), but I need to explore this possibility.

I have a visa for China and will spend at least two days in mainland China. I will need to check with my host to find out where they are taking me.

GUC fare on my preferred dates - June 19-26/27 - is $1.6K. D1 is $5.3K.

In the meantime, I may have found a PVG connection on June 18 with DL that would be okay if I can leave June 26 from HKG.

Last edited by Xeno; Feb 25, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Good grief, I forgot I could not pay part of the ICN route with PWM.

I am thinking about using GUCs to ICN or PVG then buying separate biz ticket. As long as there is an adequate layover with no luggage, am I likely to be hit with a schedule change with the flight so close (June 2019)?

I did check all the other suggestions in this thread but in most cases the biz fare on my first and second choice days of travel were still too high.

Edited to say I used GUCs for RT D1 OKC-ICN and used SM for KE Prestige ICN-HKG RT.

Last edited by Xeno; Feb 25, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Is paid premium economy an option here? A number of TPAC carriers (including CI, and DL on select routes/aircraft) have good, relatively inexpensive W products. The catch would be the intra-Asia segments may or may not have it, depending on carrier an aircraft. But perhaps (eg) CI to TPE in W with a ~1 hour flight in Y to HKG would be an option.
Xeno likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I have 24 hours to change without penalty and find your suggestions of interest, but at the moment I am okay with what I have other than wanting different dates.

I have the 359 ATL-ICN-ATL D1 using GUCs. I have KE Prestige ICN-HKG-ICN for 60K SM. (The alternative dates put me on a KE 737-200ER which is 2x3x2 on the outbound but KE 737-300ER on the return. KE would not give me a B seat on the outbound.)

The catch is that these are two separate tickets and if something goes wrong then I'm not protected.
rogo likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:44 pm

Congrats on getting the GUC upgrade confirmed TPAC. ATL-ICN is a nice ride in suites on a new airplane although the times are a bit strange. Enjoy!
Xeno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.