FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Winter Weather Advisory 2/20/19 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1957149-winter-weather-advisory-2-20-19-a.html)

Kamalaasaa Feb 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Winter Weather Advisory 2/20/19

I received notices by text and email that my travel to Europe through JFK might be impacted by inclement weather tomorrow. When I looked at rebooking online, every option I was shown also went through JFK!

I called Delta and spoke to a CSR who said I could be re-routed via DTW, but I didn’t want to make the change without checking it out. I could not find the routing she told me about anywhere - on Delta’s website or partner airlines or Google Flights.

My question, then, is should I stick with the routing via JFK - is the risk of disruption significant? Right now I only have 1 hour for my connection.

Should I switch to flying via DTW on the mystery itinerary? The forecast there tomorrow calls for snow as well.

Shoukd I see if they can route me via ATL?

I have no status, so I dread the prospect of being stuck in a middle seat if I switch - but I suppose that’s better than being stuck at JFK.

njf1003 Feb 19, 2019 3:19 pm

What's your routing?
Is there another later flight in JFK to your destination?
Can you change the domestic leg to give you more time to JFK?
Why wouldn't they give you the times and flight numbers?

Kamalaasaa Feb 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by njf1003 (Post 30798770)
What's your routing?
Is there another later flight in JFK to your destination?
Can you change the domestic leg to give you more time to JFK?
Why wouldn't they give you the times and flight numbers?

There is a later flight from JFK, so that might be a possibility if I were to miss my original flight (or I could change to it).

i could change my domestic leg - but would give me 5 or 6 hours at JFK. Not thrilled about that.

The CSR gave me flight times (but not numbers) for the DTW routing but I can’t find any flight with the arrival time in Europe she gave me.

RobertS975 Feb 19, 2019 3:42 pm

What is your point of origin and your European destination The group will have a difficult time commenting or advising without that information .

Kamalaasaa Feb 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Routing is ORF-MLA

Zorak Feb 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa (Post 30798794)
The CSR gave me flight times (but not numbers) for the DTW routing but I can’t find any flight with the arrival time in Europe she gave me.

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa (Post 30799054)
Routing is ORF-MLA

Forcing a DTW connection on ITA and using "alliance skyteam" comes up with various ORF-DTW-CDG-MLA possibilities so it's probably one of those?

EDIT: although it looks like that would involve a long layover and change of airport CDG -> ORY for the MLA segment, ugh.

RRDD Feb 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 30799071)
......it looks like that would involve a long layover and change of airport CDG -> ORY for the MLA segment, ugh.

Double ugh.

Kamalaasaa Feb 19, 2019 5:53 pm

I found what might be it: ORF-DTW-AMS-FCO-MLA.

it arrives FCO at 9:10, and the CSR told me the arrival time at MLA was 9:00, so maybe she just didn’t read far enough.

Layovers at AMS and FCO are just 1 hour each. Sounds like it would be cutting things awfully close.

3Cforme Feb 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Sticking to DL/AF/KL/AZ flights there's just no good way to do that tomorrow (showing coach seats for sale) that avoids JFK. I don't see DL putting you on a non-alliance carrier for a weather waiver. However, if you miss a connection in AMS or FCO the rebooking options should be open to any interline carrier.

MSPeconomist Feb 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Given the thread title, I wanted to also warn people that MSP is likely to be a big mess tomorrow, Wednesday February 21, 2019. They're expecting about 8" of snow starting before the crack of dawn and continuing well into the evening. I don't expect the airport to close, but the roads are likely to be horrible, so be sure to allow lots and lots of time to get yourself to/from the airport. Both morning and evening rush hours are predicted to be awful, most schools in the state will be closed, and employees are being advised to work from home if at all possible.

puck021 Feb 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30799868)
Given the thread title, I wanted to also warn people that MSP is likely to be a big mess tomorrow, Wednesday February 21, 2019. They're expecting about 8" of snow starting before the crack of dawn and continuing well into the evening. I don't expect the airport to close, but the roads are likely to be horrible, so be sure to allow lots and lots of time to get yourself to/from the airport. Both morning and evening rush hours are predicted to be awful, most schools in the state will be closed, and employees are being advised to work from home if at all possible.

Agree. That plus the 3-5” in DC caused me to fly home to MSP tonight.

Lux Flyer Feb 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30799868)

Based on the forecast for the midwest and northeast. ATL looks to be the only DL hub east of the Rockies that won't be a mess the next few days. However that is even questionable, given anything that touches NYC/DTW/MSP is going to be impacted, it will probably bleed into ATL operations too, just since many of those planes would normally be scheduled to route through there. I don't invision the next few days being pretty for anyone flying, unless you're sticking the west coast.

MSPeconomist Feb 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by puck021 (Post 30799915)

Agree. That plus the 3-5” in DC caused me to fly home to MSP tonight.

Welcome home!

Kamalaasaa Feb 20, 2019 6:35 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30799368)
I don't see DL putting you on a non-alliance carrier for a weather waiver.

Surprise!

Just got a notice that I have been rebooked ORF-ATL-FRA-MLA, with the last leg on LH.

I’m thankful I can still get out today.

MSPeconomist Feb 20, 2019 7:13 am

MSP is reporting thirty flight cancellations so far this morning, across all airlines.

It's snowing more than an inch per hour. There was already about an inch on the ground at the airport before 6 am and some places (no current official total at the airport) are reporting seven inches already this morning. The airport total is predicted to be 6-10", with most of it falling before noon, although the maximum amount was forecast to only be 7" less than 24 hours ago.

The roads are flowing better than I would have expected, probably because so many people are staying home today.

ADDED: It's now the second snowiest February in history for Minneapolis (with official readings done at MSP airport, but dating back to before there were airplanes) and we'll clearly surpass #1 within the next hour or two.

There's more snow predicted for the weekend and again early next week, although it isn't expected to get super cold.