Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access at ICN?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by redeyedonkey
I think if you sat in the Korean lounge for too long after your shower you'd have to go have another one so def don't get there early! If you have PP and don't need a shower (I wasn't looking for one so not sure what shower facilities in any of the PP lounges are like) then decamp into one of those instead.
The PP lounges themselves don't have showers, but as I mentioned in the PP thread linked above, there are free public showers near the L and SPC lounges.
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I have been flying KE more than I do with DL ever since the stupid JV. While ICN T2's Korean Air lounge food is not the best, it's wonderful compare to the crap Delta serve at Sky Clubs. The variation is a bit limited but they do rotate through different items of hot food and the food is very tasty but very Asian flavor. Chicken, beef, fish, shrimp, etc... You can put together a good meal with a side salad, very easily. After landing at SEA or LAX, I can't even bother touch the stuff they serve at Sky Club anymore. DL food has fallen to an embarrassing level when compare to the likes of UA and AA flagship lounges... Even the coffee at KE lounge is miles better than the Starbuck ashes they serve at SC. DL win at variety of alcohol but the "free" wines at KE lounge is much better than DL SC.

KE lounge is not at the top of SkyTeam lounges but they are more than good enough for killing a few hours. Only bad thing is they don't have a business center with printer/scanner.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wlau
I have been flying KE more than I do with DL ever since the stupid JV. While ICN T2's Korean Air lounge food is not the best, it's wonderful compare to the crap Delta serve at Sky Clubs. The variation is a bit limited but they do rotate through different items of hot food and the food is very tasty but very Asian flavor. Chicken, beef, fish, shrimp, etc... You can put together a good meal with a side salad, very easily. After landing at SEA or LAX, I can't even bother touch the stuff they serve at Sky Club anymore. DL food has fallen to an embarrassing level when compare to the likes of UA and AA flagship lounges... Even the coffee at KE lounge is miles better than the Starbuck ashes they serve at SC. DL win at variety of alcohol but the "free" wines at KE lounge is much better than DL SC.
Was just there and disagree about the food. 4 out of 4 hot items had pork in it. So Islamic or Vegan passengers did not have any hot options.

The quality of the food was awful. Nothing was good besides the packaged noodles you add water to, and even those had beef or fish. Packaged noodles can be messy to eat.

DL lounge food quality and especially variety was much better.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 1, 2019 at 5:23 am Reason: thread clean-up
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
DL lounge food quality and especially variety was much better.
I am DM and pretty loyal to DL, but if you venture out like I do, then you understand DL sucks at the lounge game these days... At LAX, AA's flagship lounge makes DL's T2/T3 lounge look like a rundown 3rd world hideout. Talk about variety... AA beats DL hands down any day of the week. If you go to NY or SF, UA's Polaris lounge makes DL looks like fast food dollar menu. DL was good compare to UA/AA in 2016 and 2017 but lost it in 2018. DL SC in the US are much worse than AA and UA's, but maybe better than AS. I've spent A LOT of time at LAX, SEA, SFO, NRT SCs, and also CI's at TPE and KE's at ICN, ST at HKG and PEK. DL SCs rank the lowest among all these lounges and is borderline similar to MU's PVG lounge.

Last edited by wlau; Feb 27, 2019 at 10:41 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Not much for vegans at KE T2 West Prestige lounge (near gate 249)

We used this lounge for 9 hours in December and 9 1/2 hours today. In December, they had tofu and potatoe options. This time the only vegan hot food was rice porridge which was removed at noon. There was a green salad, crackers, raisins, mixed nuts(95% peanuts), bananas, and bread but that is all I recall.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:09 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I’m here now at ICN KAL East

It’s ok. Was crowded but yes showers

i had stopped at the PP lounge first and it’s food was great! Go there. It’s small
no in lounge bathroom nor shower so best to go after your shower
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:10 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I’m here now at ICN KAL East

It’s ok. Was crowded but yes showers

i had stopped at the PP lounge first and it’s food was great! Go there. It’s small
no in lounge bathroom nor shower so best to go after your shower
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Vegas passengers did not have any hot options.
That flight leaves in the evening. There are several hot options....
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Paella747
That flight leaves in the evening. There are several hot options....
Pretty sure he meant vegan, but I enjoyed the typo
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
And its even more of a concern when the signs in the lounge don't properly disclose the meat details, and also that when I nicely asked multiple staff members about it, they simply shrugged it off.

No assistance to find something suitable or to demonstrate that, if they want to be a world class connecting hub, they should be able to cater to passengers from around the world.

WRT to hygiene, I wish the lounge attendants would do a better job of enforcing tong usage, and that they would do a better job of FIFO (first in, first out - DL usually removes the old portion, or at least dumps it on top of the new portion they place out. Lounge attendants here were dumping new potato salad on the old, which made sure the old stuff sat there on the bottom longer, and the new stuff didn't has as much contact with the ice given Korean uses large round bowls that look pretty but don't seem very functional for temperature maintenance.)

Last edited by 3Cforme; Feb 28, 2019 at 7:00 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have edited some posts, deleted some posts, and suspended a user. Please avoid cultural generalizations (it's a small step from there into racism). Avoid name-calling.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
I was there yesterday and was not impressed. It's my first time flying through ICN instead of Narita and the food in Narita is much better. My breakfast on KE was pretty much inedible, so I was hoping to grab something for breakfast at the lounge in ICN. Fortunately I didn't have to spend a lot of time there as I had a fairly short connection time for my onwards flight to DTW. I've found that most of the flight options going from SIN to MSP when the nonstops from ICN to MSP begin are 10 hours plus. If Delta stops flying into NRT and doesn't move the SIN to NRT flights over to HND, I guess I'll be looking for another airline.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PeggyJM
I've found that most of the flight options going from SIN to MSP when the nonstops from ICN to MSP begin are 10 hours plus. If Delta stops flying into NRT and doesn't move the SIN to NRT flights over to HND, I guess I'll be looking for another airline.

I don't know how quickly DL+KE will coordinate the flights to take advantage of ICN-MSP but looking ITA Matrix for December there's a very time-efficient SIN-ICN-MSP routing.

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't know how quickly DL+KE will coordinate the flights to take advantage of ICN-MSP but looking ITA Matrix for December there's a very time-efficient SIN-ICN-MSP routing.

That's true. There is the 11 am KE flight, but a Delta One ticket on that flight is several thousand dollars more than all the other options when I've looked at booking my tickets for September and December. Also, for some of the dates I checked, that flight option didn't even show up on delta.com. Most of the options were for either the 1:30 am flight (10 + hour layover in ICN!) or even worse, the flight that leaves at 10:30 pm the night before!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by PeggyJM
I was there yesterday and was not impressed. It's my first time flying through ICN instead of Narita and the food in Narita is much better. My breakfast on KE was pretty much inedible, so I was hoping to grab something for breakfast at the lounge in ICN. Fortunately I didn't have to spend a lot of time there as I had a fairly short connection time for my onwards flight to DTW. I've found that most of the flight options going from SIN to MSP when the nonstops from ICN to MSP begin are 10 hours plus. If Delta stops flying into NRT and doesn't move the SIN to NRT flights over to HND, I guess I'll be looking for another airline.
It makes me wonder which lounge you went into!?!! There 4 lounges, 1 in concourse and 3 in T2. If you talking about lounge food, then you must went at the wrong time! I've done the 5am arrival 9/10am depart connection and 1pm arrival 8pm depart connection at ICN and the food quality and taste are very food, variety is limited but no worse than SkyClub. I suggest you try that greenbean salad, it's amazingly tasty and healthy. If you went at hours that don't align with meal times, then it's the same as DL SC. Put it this way, ICN's limited breakfast pastries are much tastier than the same from SEA, LAX, and SFO's equally limited Costco quality stuff.

NRT SC definitely does not have better food than KE's ICN lounge. NRT has chicken skewer + 2 other items.... that has been around for over a decade and never changed! The sushi is cucumber rolls and inari, both are cheapest thing they can put out. These items have been the same for over a decade! I am stunned it can be considered good while ICN is not. If you use Japanese standards, then NRT SC is nearly at the bottom. ANA's and JAL's lounges are infinitely better. KE lounge at NRT is mediocre and CI's lounge at NRT is a tad better than DL SC.

KE inflight food is not great for some because Korean cuisine is very very healthy, so a lot of rice and veggie, it doesn't satisfy the huge appetite of large American passengers. The bibimbap and rice cake that are common on KE flights are actually very good quality and tasty, albeit the portion is small. This is one of the reason 2/3 of the food cart are carrying these items. Most Americans can't differentiate between rice types...As an Asian, I can tell you even KE's inflight bibimbap's rice is very high quality, better than what we can get in the US. I think this is a case of some people not familiar with Korean cuisine.

Last edited by wlau; Feb 28, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.