FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Hungry on SEA - LAX (F and Y) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1957001-hungry-sea-lax-f-y.html)

AntonS Feb 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Hungry on SEA - LAX (F and Y)

Did a quick roundtrip SEA-LAX this weekend.

Outbound in F on 3:30pm flight - the only food offered was snack basket. Return in C+ on 1pm flight - no food for sale offered (but F seemed to have lunch).

I did not have time to grab something to eat before flights and was hungry.

Is it recent enhancement on SEA-Cal flights? I remember sometime ago SEA-LAX/SFO were some sort of special or shuttle routes and even received free hummus plates in C+.

jdrtravel Feb 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS (Post 30794705)

Outbound in F on 3:30pm flight - the only food offered was snack basket. Return in C+ on 1pm flight - no food for sale offered (but F seemed to have lunch).

Is it recent enhancement on SEA-Cal flights? I remember sometime ago SEA-LAX/SFO were some sort of special or shuttle routes and even received free hummus plates in C+.

I think around a year ago DL cancelled the West Coast Shuttle program that offered enhanced inflight services on flights between LAX/SFO/SEA. Now on SFO-LAX they explain that they will only offer coffee and water because they don't have time to do a full drink service in coach, even though the magically had enough time to do it when it was called "shuttle service."

Also, F flights ex-SEA only get meals during meal times now.

gitismatt Feb 18, 2019 6:07 pm

LH was able to do a full meal service in Y from FRA-CDG. I think DL can manage beverages on LAX-SEA

jdrtravel Feb 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by gitismatt (Post 30794763)
LH was able to do a full meal service in Y from FRA-CDG. I think DL can manage beverages on LAX-SEA

I think DL does offer full beverage service on LAX-SEA. It's LAX-SFO where they are now claiming they don't have enough time on the 55 minute flight. But yes, your point is well taken. KL serves breakfast in coach on AMS-TXL. Granted, it's a small sandwich that they pass out quickly along with coffee and juice, but they get it done.

ab2013 Feb 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS (Post 30794705)

Yeah DL killed the Shuttle service on the West Coast sometime early last year. The early days of DL's expansion in SEA were quite special.

For those interested - here's an idea of how special that was...

SEA-LAX F (2015 or 2016)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7b9a68d4c8.jpg

SEA-SFO C+ (2016)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a9668786bf.jpg

SEA-LAX F (2018)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c50f7ad16e.jpg

jdrtravel Feb 18, 2019 8:29 pm

There are still meals served on SEA-SFO/LAX in first class, but the meal service is offered under the standard parameters for a flight of that length (so no meals in the 1-4pm and 8pm-6am).

DLATL777 Feb 18, 2019 8:30 pm

US carriers are hilarious and terrible-there isnt any use comparing them to airlines like LH/EK/CX, especially when it comes to food service. Want a good chuckle? Maldivian, using a Dash-8 prop, serves a full drink service front to back and hands out candy on a 35 minute flight.

jdrtravel Feb 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 30795119)
US carriers are hilarious and terrible-there isnt any use comparing them to airlines like LH/EK/CX, especially when it comes to food service. Want a good chuckle? Maldivian, using a Dash-8 prop, serves a full drink service front to back and hands out candy on a 35 minute flight.

On the other hand, I'll take our domestic first class seats over Europe's "Euro business class" any day. Have you ever flown in the front cabin on a BA flight in Europe? You get 29"-30" of pitch.

Duke787 Feb 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30795116)
There are still meals served on SEA-SFO/LAX in first class, but the meal service is offered under the standard parameters for a flight of that length (so no meals in the 1-4pm and 8pm-6am).

+1. Was served breakfast on a 630am SFO - SEA last week, choice of either pretzel breakfast sandwich or cereal/fruit/yogurt.

xliioper Feb 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30795116)

Your times are slightly off --

On flights ranging from 900-1,399 miles, enjoy a full chef-curated meal service. Find breakfast and lunch items on flights departing from 5 AM to 1:30 PM, dinner for departures from 4 PM to 8 PM and a hearty selection of snacks at most times in between.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rst-class.html

SEA-SFO is well under 900 miles (679), but looks to be one of a number routes where they make an exception and serve meals during the meal windows listed above. SEA-LAS is 867 miles, but doesn't get any meals in F as it's under 900 miles and DL has decided not to make an exception for it.

jdrtravel Feb 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 30795148)
Your times are slightly off --

On flights ranging from 900-1,399 miles, enjoy a full chef-curated meal service. Find breakfast and lunch items on flights departing from 5 AM to 1:30 PM, dinner for departures from 4 PM to 8 PM and a hearty selection of snacks at most times in between.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rst-class.html

SEA-SFO is well under 900 miles (679), but looks to be one of a number routes where they make an exception and serve meals during the meal time windows listed above.

Good points.

The link on that page "see the full first class menu" still goes to a page that tells you nothing about domestic F meals. It's been that way for a couple of years.

LimaWhiskey Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30795135)
On the other hand, I'll take our domestic first class seats over Europe's "Euro business class" any day. Have you ever flown in the front cabin on a BA flight in Europe? You get 29"-30" of pitch.

You’re not traveling 2k miles in that seat though.

I’d take BA over a domestic carrier, even with their crummy Club Europe seat. They staff is personable, and they try and make the experience special.

The food and drink is also much better.

-

Staying on topic. BA does a full drink and meal service on flights between CDG and LHR.

jdrtravel Feb 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey (Post 30795343)

I’d take BA over a domestic carrier, even with their crummy Club Europe seat. They staff is personable, and they try and make the experience special.

-

Staying on topic. BA does a full drink and meal service on flights between CDG and LHR.

None of this has been my experience on BA. The staff are grumpy and the food is as good as typical food in England (bad).

gitismatt Feb 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey (Post 30795343)

-

ive never had a great experience on intra-europa BA. do you mean the food and drink that they make you purchase in Y? I had a better experience on ryanair than on BA.

fotographer Feb 19, 2019 3:44 am

You will get a nice warm snack (its tasty) on most Indian airlines where the flying time is around 45 minutes...