Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and easyjet might make combined bid for Alitalia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and easyjet might make combined bid for Alitalia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Perhaps this is more about DL wanting to dominate to TATL market. I also bet they DON'T want a LCC coming in and having an easy way to start up another cheap way to fly into Europe. I think this is more like the AS-VX deal--it's about turf.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No reason for big excitement. Maybe we'll get JFK-Pisa back. It may be more about mitigating a potential loss.
If they can do that, plus eliminate the terminal change when I connect through JFK to AZ metal, I'll be very happy with the deal.

Italy is a huge tourist destination. #5 after France, Spain, US and China, and tourism growth from 2016 to 2017 was much faster than the other four. So there is huge potential traffic from the US-Italy. Imagine if, in additional to JFK-PSA, they dome directs like ORD-PMO, LAX-PSA, or MIA-NAP (they all have runways over 9800 feet). Those would steal a lot of traffic from other airlines.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The Delta way seems to be throwing good money after bad. I guess an Indian airline wasn't enough of a money loser so they had to go after Alitalia instead. Would someone please remind them that airlines like Pan Am made the same stupid investments.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
The headline on Bloomberg tv last night was that DL/EasyJet will spend $452M USD ($400M EUR). If they can't purchase a controlling stake, that means they value Alitalia at ~$1 billion! Try not to spit out your coffee when reading that! Alitalia is 1) bankrupt and 2) has a dreadful structure that will prevent it from ever being profitable. I really don't get the desire to bailout Alitalia (other than from Italy's perspective where they are trying to save the jobs). If there are really some routes that they really want to have, leverage the AF/KL jv, leasing another couple planes if needed.
The original article says the 452M investment would acquire a 40% stake split between DL/EasyJet, the remaining 60% would be funded by Italian investment companies. So valuation closer to 1.125B. Which might seem crazy at first glance for a bankrupt airline, but then you look at how much the assets such as aircraft and potential earning power, and it doesn't seem so crazy.

Originally Posted by bennos
I'm struggling to understand why DL wants anything to do with AZ. Traffic direct to Italy doesn't seem like a driver, and there are few connections that aren't better handled by existing hubs at AMS at CDG...
Perhaps Delta invisions some form of inefficiencies in the currrent AZ operation contributing to their lack of profitability or they believe their economy of scale can lower operational costs.. If DL is able to turn that around, it just provides them another income source on top of giving them (along w/ AF/KLM) control over additional TATL traffic.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
If they can do that, plus eliminate the terminal change when I connect through JFK to AZ metal, I'll be very happy with the deal.

Italy is a huge tourist destination. #5 after France, Spain, US and China, and tourism growth from 2016 to 2017 was much faster than the other four. So there is huge potential traffic from the US-Italy. Imagine if, in additional to JFK-PSA, they dome directs like ORD-PMO, LAX-PSA, or MIA-NAP (they all have runways over 9800 feet). Those would steal a lot of traffic from other airlines.
Yeah, there are lots of potential passengers for touris, but there wouldn't be good yields, especially if DL tries to expand the routes that are offered. It should've be a matter of profits, not just filling airplanes.

Also, it's hard to see how DL could fix the notorious AZ labor problems, not just strikes but also work rules, entitlements, inefficiencies, attitudes, etc. This airline is a mess, even though you might like the seats and on board F&B service.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Just as a hypothetical, let’s say all of Alitalia’s TATL routes are profitable. And let’s say, just for discussion, that AZ takes over DL’s FCO-ATL/JFK/DTW, VCE-ATL/JFK, and MXP-ATL/JFK routes.

The total value for DL in that case would be the profit of the existing AZ TATL routes... and the freeing up of up to 7 DL TATL wide-body routes that could be used elsewhere.

The negatives are the issues that have bankrupted AZ in the first place, and that it is very likely DL flies with a lower operating cost than AZ does on the same route.

Strguggling to see how the postives outweigh the negatives, financially speaking.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Italy is a huge tourist destination. #5 after France, Spain, US and China, and tourism growth from 2016 to 2017 was much faster than the other four.
Italy is big for tourism but isn't that big for U.S. tourism. It ranked #15 as a destination for Americans for the 12 months ending 6/2018 according to U.S. DOT data, behind Spain and just ahead of Hong Kong and Colombia. Tertiary Italian destinations (let's say Palermo and Napoli) are too far for a DL 757 from JFK (with the reliability DL expects and full planes).

Investment bankers must be working triple-time to convince investors that the circle can be squared: jobs can be maintained in Italy while investors can expect a decent return on investment.
Gargoyle and worldwidedreamer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.