Clear & Pre-Check & Delta at LAX?

Old Feb 17, 19, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Question Clear & Pre-Check & Delta at LAX?

According to Clear's website, they have a Clear + Pre-Check lane at T1 at LAX. However, for the terminals Delta uses--T2 and T3--they just show as having a Clear lane. Is that really correct that there is not a way to use both Pre-Check and Clear with DAL at LAX? Thanks. I did try to search this but didn't see what I was looking for. Sorry if I missed it.
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Can’t speak to LAX, but at other airports, Clear leads to Pre-check and bypasses the PC line.
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:58 pm

You're safe, both T2 and T3 have the standard Clear setup where you get directed to Precheck lanes after Clear, when you have Precheck
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by Night Flyer View Post
You're safe, both T2 and T3 have the standard Clear setup where you get directed to Precheck lanes after Clear, when you have Precheck

Okay--perfect. Thanks. I'm spoiled by ATL with the dedicated line.
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:32 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
LAX has long had CLEAR and TSA PreCheck at both T2 and T3. TBIT, now has PreCheck (left set of escalators) but I don't think there is CLEAR. I just don't recall. TBIT also doesn't have a SkyPriorty lane and the only other way to get into the express lane is to have a business class ticket. Secret security lane is the one down stairs where the internationally arriving pax are connecting and re-screening.
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by atl runner View Post
According to Clear's website, they have a Clear + Pre-Check lane at T1 at LAX. However, for the terminals Delta uses--T2 and T3--they just show as having a Clear lane. Is that really correct that there is not a way to use both Pre-Check and Clear with DAL at LAX? Thanks. I did try to search this but didn't see what I was looking for. Sorry if I missed it.
I know I'm missing something here but if you have Clear why would you care about Pre-Check? I've used Clear at LAX T2 quite a few times. They walk you to the TSA agent who waves you in and then you go straight to screening.
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by KKinLA View Post
I know I'm missing something here but if you have Clear why would you care about Pre-Check? I've used Clear at LAX T2 quite a few times. They walk you to the TSA agent who waves you in and then you go straight to screening.
keep shoes and light coats on, electronics and such can stay in the bag, and itís faster to walk through a metal detector than pausing for scanner.
Old Feb 18, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD View Post
LAX has long had CLEAR and TSA PreCheck at both T2 and T3. TBIT, now has PreCheck (left set of escalators) but I don't think there is CLEAR. I just don't recall. TBIT also doesn't have a SkyPriorty lane and the only other way to get into the express lane is to have a business class ticket. Secret security lane is the one down stairs where the internationally arriving pax are connecting and re-screening.
No CLEAR at TBIT but they do have it in T4 and can walk airside to TBIT. Was more convenient for me to use T4 to skip the line for a recent MU flight where they donít give Pre-Check than to walk back over to T3 where I was going to have to wait for the shuttle. Although once I made it to the KE lounge I wished I had gone through T3 since the SkyClub is so much better...
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are two distinct aspects to a checkpoint. First, the line leading up to the screening area and second, the nature of the screening.

CLEAR cuts short most or all of the first, but has nothing to do with the second.

Pre-Check means no need to remove shoes, light jackets, 3-1-1 bag, laptop and it means walking through a mag at a normal walking pace. Pre lines tend to process 6-7 passengers for every passenger processed through a standard line.
Old Feb 18, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - DL DM - Marriott Gold - Starwood Gold
LAX is my home airport.

Recently I've noticed that, during the times I fly, there is absolutely no one in the Pre-Check line waiting to have ID and BP checked, while there is a (minimal) delay waiting for an available CLEAR scanner and rep.

Since you can see the entire area just before you enter the CLEAR scanner area, you can make an instantaneous decision whether to use CLEAR or not.

This is in both T2 and T3.
Old Feb 18, 19, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by Troppy View Post

keep shoes and light coats on, electronics and such can stay in the bag, and itís faster to walk through a metal detector than pausing for scanner.
OK thanks. I've never had a situation using Clear where I didn't also have Pre-Check then. Didn't even realize it was possible.
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:28 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yes, the T4 security clearance is a good shortcut to get CLEAR (and previously Pre-Check before TBIT had it) and walk to TBIT, which puts you outside the piss poor KAL lounge with is both Skyteam and Priority Pass after noon.

I usually do T2 for the SC and shuttle over to TBIT if I need to go there (which I'll to tomorrow morning, see how the Delta One check-in experience is)