Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia connection in Sydney.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Virgin Australia connection in Sydney.

I am heading LAX-SYD tonight, with a separate booking on VA when I arrive down to MEL.

Do you know if I would be able to book baggage through to MEL from LAX, since VA is a DL partner?

Will VA acknowledge my status on internal flights where I've booked not via DL, and allow me more than one checked bag? I thought not but I cannot pre-book baggage on VA's website for some reason.

I guess I will find all these answers tonight but if I'm forewarned I can ee about packing more judiciously...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Checking through is largely irrelevant because you have to collect your bags at SYD and then re-check after customs and immigration (similar to US arrivals).

If you have DL status, doesn't matter how you bought the VA ticket as long as your DL number is attached -- GM and above should entitle you to an extra bag on VA.

"*Complimentary checked baggage allowances for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members will be equivalent to a Velocity Platinum member. Allowances for Gold and Silver Medallion members will be equivalent to Gold and Silver Velocity members. Fees may apply for overweight and oversized baggage. Please visit Virgin Australia for more details on baggage policy."
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist

You will have to claim bags in SYD then follow signs to VA transfer desk after reaching the arrivals hall. The whole process is fairly straightforward and the transfer desk will provide a stub for the domestic terminal transfer shuttle.

CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

OK - thanks all!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:02 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, Delta should be able to check thru your bag if you give them the itenerary. It only saves the step of re-tagging your bag at SYD, as pointed out you have to collect and give them your flight. Their systems will know you are "partner plat" which gets you into the lounges in the Domestic terminal, which I enjoyed (plus you can go thru the Premium Entry, which is much faster with a dedicated security lane).
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again all. Confirmed it was easy enough to move the bags to the domestic transfer. Also Platinum on VA because of DL status, so no charg, e, and plat security and lounge access.

No charge even to change flight after DL41 managed to get in an hour late (after waiting on the tarmac for 45 minutes for some latecomers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.