Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interesting "thanks for being DM" i actually liked...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting "thanks for being DM" i actually liked...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by pgh234
While I understand it might have sounded heartfelt and genuine, that type of response makes me feel odd.
#1 - I don't think I deserve applause for keeping food on your table like the Scrooge giving away a Christmas Bonus. You deserve that (as the employee) by coming to work reliably and doing your job.
#2 - I am sure that Delta has lost money flying me around on the mistake airfare deals, old mileage runs, etc that I have flown over the years
#3 - Any time a DL employee (or Porsche driver) asks me why I fly so much...saying "because I am a travel dork", "because I love gaming the system", and "because I am on a mileage run" never really leads the conversation to a place either one of us wanted it to go.

I have also never had a good experience in SLC.
I dont think the guy means it literally and its more of a fun way to engage in conversation.......
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Everybody keeps saying "I never had a good experience at SLC" so I ask why?

I am not talking about the ongoing construction but what about DL has been a bad experience there? For it being a hub I find it extremely easy to navigate with friendly employees but I guess that is just me....
ExArkie likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I find it hard to believe that Delta makes money when I spend $500 R/T taking up space on a first class seat to Europe on a full flight, then get a $1000 VDB or EU Compensation Voucher. ...and then I repeat the process for about 8 years, collecting SkyPesos along the way. It makes me feel dirty for an employee to thank me for helping their company. haha
If you didn't buy those tickets, someone else would have, and they'd have asked for $2,000 for VDB. So Delta saved money by you buying them.

(I know when I've been the only volunteer at $1,000, the GA is quite grateful.)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Many employees have appreciated me for being a DM, and while the verbiage they use is relatively similar, I do appreciate it!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Pretty hard to imagine any better staff than the FLL Sky Club people. They have called me on my way to the airport to let me know of a delay and that they have already re-booked me. Very capable and professional, and over the top friendly.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Everybody keeps saying "I never had a good experience at SLC" so I ask why?

I am not talking about the ongoing construction but what about DL has been a bad experience there? For it being a hub I find it extremely easy to navigate with friendly employees but I guess that is just me....
I find the SLC staff arrogant and unfriendly.

Maybe it’s reading all these posts about how great they are and then having expectations diminished when actually interacting with the front line.

Gate agents tend to have no sense of urgency when their current cramped facilities are overwhelmed with customers. The SkyClub staff are the worst. A phony friendliness where you get the sense that the moment you turn the corner they’re MFing you under their breath. At least at LGA you can hear them mock the customer, and at ATL they just flat out ignore them.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach

I find the SLC staff arrogant and unfriendly.

Maybe it’s reading all these posts about how great they are and then having expectations diminished when actually interacting with the front line.

Gate agents tend to have no sense of urgency when their current cramped facilities are overwhelmed with customers. The SkyClub staff are the worst. A phony friendliness where you get the sense that the moment you turn the corner they’re MFing you under their breath. At least at LGA you can hear them mock the customer, and at ATL they just flat out ignore them.
That honestly hasn't been my experience.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I find it hard to believe that Delta makes money when I spend $500 R/T taking up space on a first class seat to Europe on a full flight, then get a $1000 VDB or EU Compensation Voucher. ...and then I repeat the process for about 8 years, collecting SkyPesos along the way. It makes me feel dirty for an employee to thank me for helping their company. haha

I would like the DL employees to please just stick to the "thanks for your status" line so I don't feel dirty, guilty, and weird about my hobbies when engaging in small talk with them.
Take the complement from the ground staff at face value; when you really need to feel good or bad, Delta's CRM systems calculate your real value, taking into account complaints, spend, IRROPS... the whole package.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
On my return home Saturday, just after they closed the aircraft door, an FA walked up to me and thanked me for being a Gold member. I thought it was quite a pleasant surprise.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by eric_o
On my return home Saturday, just after they closed the aircraft door, an FA walked up to me and thanked me for being a Gold member. I thought it was quite a pleasant surprise.
That's so nice!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Flew PHX-ATL this past Sunday and was #2 of 60+ on the UG list for 7 seats. I booked the family in EC and normally give my UG away to the person that got my original seat so we can fly together. Since I wasn't feeling well I kept the UG and was thanked for the first time as a 2MM. My wife commented that all the DMs in EC were thanked for being DM, her joke about it was, "sorry that you didn't get the UG, but thanks for being a DM."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.