Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interesting "thanks for being DM" i actually liked...

Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

So recently at SLC (the best hands down employees work at SLC in all of DL) I was checking in and dropping a bag and instead of the usual "thanks for being (blank, insert medallion level)" we all get at check in or when boarding he said "thanks for keeping me employed and my family fed, what do you do that keeps you in the air so much?"

Not a big change necessarily and I am sure the next 7 DMs after me he said the same thing but it was unique and felt like he was genuinely thanking you and instead of reading the DL script came up with a unique way to thank you and engage in conversation at the same time.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:53 am

Definitely a nice touch.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I get the best treatment at NGO. The manager comes and greets every DM and know some of us by name. They are very accomodating to my requests of moving me to a row with no person next to me. I get a "greeting card" on my seat every time.
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
So recently at SLC (the best hands down employees work at SLC in all of DL) I was checking in and dropping a bag and instead of the usual "thanks for being (blank, insert medallion level)" we all get at check in or when boarding he said "thanks for keeping me employed and my family fed, what do you do that keeps you in the air so much?"

Not a big change necessarily and I am sure the next 7 DMs after me he said the same thing but it was unique and felt like he was genuinely thanking you and instead of reading the DL script came up with a unique way to thank you and engage in conversation at the same time.
That's a different yet nice recognition for the appreciation of the repeat business. And it goes both ways because I always thank the aircrew and staff because they get me where I'm going to do the things I want or need to do - be it for work or go on vacation or to visit family or friends, especially over the holidays.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
I have a similar experience when I fly through EWN (New Bern, NC) once per year. The station is small and has infrequent service, but the crew there shows that out-station performance can absolutely beat the hubs any day! When I arrived, they thanked me for traveling to New Bern and for choosing Delta. They said they looked forward to my return and recognized me when I did two days later. During boarding, Medallions were handed a card which was signed by everyone working the flight that morning. It was a -200, but it felt like a king's chariot that morning
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had this same guy at SLC a few weeks ago. It’s one of the only airports I check luggage at. Rare opportunity I guess.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Eddie98
I get the best treatment at NGO. The manager comes and greets every DM and know some of us by name. They are very accomodating to my requests of moving me to a row with no person next to me. I get a "greeting card" on my seat every time.
+1

Unfortunately, DL really likes to fire its best staff like that, usually in a bad manner with little notice and no consultation with staff. FUK ground staff are just as good, if not better, than NGO, yet everyone there is getting fired with less than 4 months notice - it coming as a big shock to everyone there. Something that DL has done so many times at so many stations (usually the best staffed ones), as it continually keeps shrinking. It's seems like DL is determined to put out its brightest stars of the best staff, by never holding onto them.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
had that said to me on a AA flight from ATL to DFW... nice touch but well it came out of the blue
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
+1

Unfortunately, DL really likes to fire its best staff like that, usually in a bad manner with little notice and no consultation with staff. FUK ground staff are just as good, if not better, than NGO, yet everyone there is getting fired with less than 4 months notice - it coming as a big shock to everyone there. Something that DL has done so many times at so many stations (usually the best staffed ones), as it continually keeps shrinking. It's seems like DL is determined to put out its brightest stars of the best staff, by never holding onto them.
Complete and utter BS.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I've never had a good experience at SLC, but I am glad that someone did.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
"thanks for keeping me employed and my family fed, what do you do that keeps you in the air so much?"
While I understand it might have sounded heartfelt and genuine, that type of response makes me feel odd.
#1 - I don't think I deserve applause for keeping food on your table like the Scrooge giving away a Christmas Bonus. You deserve that (as the employee) by coming to work reliably and doing your job.
#2 - I am sure that Delta has lost money flying me around on the mistake airfare deals, old mileage runs, etc that I have flown over the years
#3 - Any time a DL employee (or Porsche driver) asks me why I fly so much...saying "because I am a travel dork", "because I love gaming the system", and "because I am on a mileage run" never really leads the conversation to a place either one of us wanted it to go.

I have also never had a good experience in SLC.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
I was in FC on a ATL CTG flight and the pilot came out during boarding, thanked us for being customers and told us he put 3 kids through college due to people like us. It was a nice touch and got a good laugh.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by indufan
Complete and utter BS.
Clearly you are not following the DL route cancellations and station closures, and it seems that you don't really fly much (if you did, you'd have likely experienced several canceled routes/stations closed first hand) and don't talk to the DL staff either (well with an attitude like yours, likely no one wants to talk to you).
Not sure why you want to showcase your sheer ignorance though.

Take a few minutes to search and see just the number of stations that DL has closed over the last few years.
Hint: airlineroute.net and flyertalk are two good resources for that.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pgh234
While I understand it might have sounded heartfelt and genuine, that type of response makes me feel odd.
#1 - I don't think I deserve applause for keeping food on your table like the Scrooge giving away a Christmas Bonus. You deserve that (as the employee) by coming to work reliably and doing your job.
#2 - I am sure that Delta has lost money flying me around on the mistake airfare deals, old mileage runs, etc that I have flown over the years
#3 - Any time a DL employee (or Porsche driver) asks me why I fly so much...saying "because I am a travel dork", "because I love gaming the system", and "because I am on a mileage run" never really leads the conversation to a place either one of us wanted it to go.

I have also never had a good experience in SLC.
regardless of the price you paid for the ticket, you contributed to the revenue of the airline and thus the overall profitability. delta just announced that they shared over $1bn back to their employees so I would really argue that your points #1 and #2 are incorrect. any extra cash given to delta most certainly does help their employees. as for #3 I have actually had more interesting conversations with people (employees and fellow pax) about my crazy mileage runs or other stupid travel behavior than I ever have about my travel for work. and I live in LAS which is always a guaranteed convo starter.
HohoGAP likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by gitismatt
regardless of the price you paid for the ticket, you contributed to the revenue of the airline and thus the overall profitability. delta just announced that they shared over $1bn back to their employees so I would really argue that your points #1 and #2 are incorrect. any extra cash given to delta most certainly does help their employees. as for #3 I have actually had more interesting conversations with people (employees and fellow pax) about my crazy mileage runs or other stupid travel behavior than I ever have about my travel for work. and I live in LAS which is always a guaranteed convo starter.
I find it hard to believe that Delta makes money when I spend $500 R/T taking up space on a first class seat to Europe on a full flight, then get a $1000 VDB or EU Compensation Voucher. ...and then I repeat the process for about 8 years, collecting SkyPesos along the way. It makes me feel dirty for an employee to thank me for helping their company. haha

I have never explained the concept of my "stupid travel behavior" to anyone and not had their eyes glass over (in particular, my coworkers, friends, and every Porsche driver that has picked me up). Luckily my wife finally understood the year we traveled to Asia three times.

I would like the DL employees to please just stick to the "thanks for your status" line so I don't feel dirty, guilty, and weird about my hobbies when engaging in small talk with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.