OpUp on KE or MU

Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
OpUp on KE or MU

As a Sky Team Elite + or Delta Platinum, has anyone ever gotten am OpUp on a transPac, west coast to PVG or ICN from a cheap economy fare?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Once, in 2012 I got an OpUp on HND-ICN on KE. This was years before the JV, and just before DL's relationship with KE went sour for a few years. Not the route you're asking for specifically, but I can't imagine OpUps are specifically route-dependent. I was a GM.

For MU, I got upgraded once on HND-SHA as a result of an impending misconnect (would have needed to change airports to PVG). Again, not transpac but still worth noting. I was a PM.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks. that's what I was looking for.
I must say, the I flew KE last year on a cheap ticket and while I couldn't reserve any seat beforehand, even after an number of calls to Delta, who said they would try, at check-in, I was able to get a good exit row seat, which is all I wanted in the first place..
I'll probably go with KE SFO-ICN-SGN since I do like the KE economy seats and service.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Yes, on icn-sea several years ago. A lovely surprise!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by wxman22
Thanks. that's what I was looking for.
I must say, the I flew KE last year on a cheap ticket and while I couldn't reserve any seat beforehand, even after an number of calls to Delta, who said they would try, at check-in, I was able to get a good exit row seat, which is all I wanted in the first place..
I'll probably go with KE SFO-ICN-SGN since I do like the KE economy seats and service.
Last November I flew SFO-ICN-HKG return, as a Delta PM. I booked KE metal directly with KE, referencing my Skymiles number on the reservation. During the ticketing (done online) I was able to reserve seats way towards the back of the aircraft, but once the ticketing was completed I used the online chat option of their website to request aisle seats towards the front of the main cabin and mentioned I'm STE+. Within minutes I was given aisles on all four flights on the second or third row of the main cabin.

Note that some of the KE fares don't allow any advance seating assignments regardless of status, as I recall there was a difference of about USD $200 between the rock-bottom fare and one that allowed seat assignents.

As a side note: I found the main cabin service to be very good, and the seats were certainly comfortable. All four segments were on 777 aircraft.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Not on trans-Pac with MU or KE. VA allowed a buy up from PE to business flying BNE-LAX. This was DL 006 ticketed, as I recall about US$900.
Its been years, but 4 opups from PE to business on AF to/from CDG to Asia.
All as DM.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On my most recent KE flights (IIRC around the end of the summer), I had the sense that KE clearly gives preference to their own elites not only for OPUPs but also even for preferred seat assignments. The seat map (including on EF) showed lots of empty business class seats that they refused to assign to me and instead told me that I could only pick among a couple relatively bad seats. This was a business class ticket and a 2-3-2 cabin configuration. YMMV.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On my most recent KE flights (IIRC around the end of the summer), I had the sense that KE clearly gives preference to their own elites not only for OPUPs but also even for preferred seat assignments. The seat map (including on EF) showed lots of empty business class seats that they refused to assign to me and instead told me that I could only pick among a couple relatively bad seats. This was a business class ticket and a 2-3-2 cabin configuration. YMMV.
That is generally true, yes, doesn't matter if you are STE+, you are blocked from better seats and only get a choice of few seats at the back normally. But, just go to koreanair.com and ask them in the online chat for the seat you want and you'll get it. Not instantly. There is apparently an internal "approval" process, so the request is put in, and a day or two later once it's "approved" you'll have your new (better) seat. Needlessly cumbersome, but it works..
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is generally true, yes, doesn't matter if you are STE+, you are blocked from better seats and only get a choice of few seats at the back normally. But, just go to koreanair.com and ask them in the online chat for the seat you want and you'll get it. Not instantly. There is apparently an internal "approval" process, so the request is put in, and a day or two later once it's "approved" you'll have your new (better) seat. Needlessly cumbersome, but it works..
I was denied a better seat when I called KE and also again at the airport. In all cases (I asked more than twice), the KE agent told me that those better seats were not available to me. There was no hint that there might be some process of getting approval for it.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I was denied a better seat when I called KE and also again at the airport. In all cases (I asked more than twice), the KE agent told me that those better seats were not available to me. There was no hint that there might be some process of getting approval for it.
Hmm, I do know that they block a lot of seats indeed, STE+ or what not makes no difference, but I've never had an issue getting a seat assigned when I asked the KE online chat (much easier and quicker than dealing by phone, IME; still it's an India support center, but at least you are not stuck on hold as you are on the phone). The longer timeframe it takes for it to confirm is fairly recent, I think; at least I didn't experience it before, but did just now recently. Specifically, seats showing up in blue (preferred) on delta.com took about two days to confirm, while seats showing as occupied on delta.com (really not, just blocked) confirmed and showed immediately once KE set it. So there seems to be two classes of blocked seats: just blocked but can confirm right away, and "preferred" seats that do not confirm right awa. Not sure if it's recent, but I think it may be.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:08 pm

The one time I flew KE, I called KE to get a seat assignment. The rep I spoke with was bilingual Korean/English, but I don't know if he was in the U.S. or Korea. It was a struggle for him to process the seat assignment I want, but he did get it eventually. I don't know if there was an internal approval process as others have mentioned, but it kind of makes sense if there is given some of his comments about seats being blocked even though they were empty.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Exactly my sense also on KE. Speaking Korean makes a big difference, bu alas I don't.
I noticed MU also has seats blocked, but at least they keep all the good ones back.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Hmm, I do know that they block a lot of seats indeed, STE+ or what not makes no difference, but I've never had an issue getting a seat assigned when I asked the KE online chat (much easier and quicker than dealing by phone, IME; still it's an India support center, but at least you are not stuck on hold as you are on the phone). The longer timeframe it takes for it to confirm is fairly recent, I think; at least I didn't experience it before, but did just now recently. Specifically, seats showing up in blue (preferred) on delta.com took about two days to confirm, while seats showing as occupied on delta.com (really not, just blocked) confirmed and showed immediately once KE set it. So there seems to be two classes of blocked seats: just blocked but can confirm right away, and "preferred" seats that do not confirm right awa. Not sure if it's recent, but I think it may be.
Thanks Everyone.
That's good to know and I wlll give it a try.
As I said, I did get an exit row at check-in, but would be nice to know before hand.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

So, looking at tickets Dl Marketed versus KE Marketed. All on KE metal.
On Dl it's a T fare, on KE it's a Q. Cost is $653 on both.
MQM are the same at about 15,743, but MQD would be sig difference at 400 on DL, versus 10% of 15,743 = 1,574 MQD But for now MQD are NA for me.

In the past, I've always bought on DL.com, so end up with DL marketed flight.
Should I try buying KE, the only downside I see is that, Dl knows i'm a PM and wound;t have to enter trusted traveler info again.

Anything I'm missing??

Last edited by wxman22; Feb 17, 2019 at 6:35 am Reason: correction
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by wxman22
So, looking at tickets Dl Marketed versus KE Marketed. All on KE metal.
On Dl it's a T fare, on KE it's a Q. Cost is $653 on both.
MQM are the same at about 15,743, but MQD would be sig difference at 400 on DL, versus 10% of 15,743 = 1,574 MQD But for now MQD are NA for me.

In the past, I've always bought on DL.com, so end up with DL marketed flight.
Should I try buying KE, the only downside I see is that, Dl knows i'm a PM and wound;t have to enter trusted traveler info again.

Anything I'm missing??
If you purchase on KE, then you can probably set up an account and enter the KTN. Then put your SM number in for this ticket. I've had this work for KL, AF, MU and CI. In each case, even though the PNR is linked to the airline account, the SM number holds.
If MQDs are likely to be needed. But if you have an overseas address, then it doesn't matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.