Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Delta Medallion earning formula

Old Feb 15, 19, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott

I purchased a business class ticket, NBO-AMS-IAH itinerary, KL marketed and ticketed (074...). The AMS-IAH leg (on KL metal) got cancelled and AMS staff at Schiphol got me rebooked last minute on DL flight to IAH via ATL (both DL 'marketed' but with original 074 ticket #). The new boarding pass was coded as "C" fare, whatever that means.

The surprise is the Medallion credit Delta gave me for this leg: $183 MQDs/915 base miles, for AMS-ATL, and $29 MQDs/145 base miles for ATL-IAH. Reward method: "based on ticket price".

Anyone knows the formula DL used in this case? I doubt KLM gave them a paltry $200 or so to fly me business class, at the last minute, all the way from AMS to IAH. And no, my original ticket was not close to being that cheap.

Is this an error, or is there some logic to this thoroughly disappointing reward system?
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Call Delta, and ask them to credit your flight from the original route.
Same happen to me and they made the correction.
Old Feb 15, 19, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In most cases DL will grant ORC = original routing credit (please use those exact words to avoid confusion) fairly easily, but you might get more miles from the flights actually flown. Surely OP would earn at least a few more miles on the ATL connection than the nonstop and possibly even more if the rebooking in C class results in 200% MQM.

C is normally FULL fare business class and can be used interchangeably with J for this. On routes where both C and J fares are offered, J tends to mean last seat availability while C is the fully flexible fare that's changeable without fees and fully refundable without any fees. Of course, one should look at the specific fare rules to verify this.
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:06 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Earnings is based on marketing carrier, not ticketing carrier. If the flight you are booked on carries a DL flight number, it is DL marketed and that's all that matters to the system. Whether it's an 074 or 006 ticket has no relevance.
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys, will call Delta pronto.
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:28 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 GM
Originally Posted by Msafiritx View Post
Thank you guys, will call Delta pronto.
Just to be clear, calling Delta my not be necessary or your best bet.

We don't know crucial pieces of information in order to give you the best advice.
One key here is, do you need MQDs more than MQMs?

I'll use one of my "milage based on ticket price" examples, hopefully it helps.
074 ticket ATL-DEL vis JFK, AMS (booked AF)

My JFK-AMS section is 3,644 MQMs $127 MQDs and 635 base miles.

If something had gone wrong and my flight had been canceled and I was rerouted, maybe back to ATL and then to AMS, defending on metal, I still would only earn $127 MQDs and 635 base miles. I'd get MQMs based on all miles flown, see the chart.

Fare class C earns at "(3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

The part that looks odd is the part where they've calculated that portion of your trip as being so cheap, someone else may be able to explain that better than I can.
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Called Delta and they said correct credit will be posted in 7 days.

Wimsta, I always have an excess of MQMs since they carry over. The 'real' miles and MQDs mean a lot more to me.
Old Feb 16, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In most cases DL will grant ORC = original routing credit (please use those exact words to avoid confusion) fairly easily, but you might get more miles from the flights actually flown. Surely OP would earn at least a few more miles on the ATL connection than the nonstop and possibly even more if the rebooking in C class results in 200% MQM.

C is normally FULL fare business class and can be used interchangeably with J for this. On routes where both C and J fares are offered, J tends to mean last seat availability while C is the fully flexible fare that's changeable without fees and fully refundable without any fees. Of course, one should look at the specific fare rules to verify this.
Even if they change the class during rebooking, calling to get them post the credit manually means they revert back to your original class of service - they almost never let you keep the higher class earnings