Uprading Paid Ticket with Miles

Old Feb 14, 19, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Uprading Paid Ticket with Miles

Hi, Does upgrade a paid economy or comfort plus ticket with miles change the Fare Class also?

Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, SPG Plat
It will change the booking class for the ticket but not the class of fare paid, hence you will receive MQM and MQD for the fare paid
Old Feb 16, 19, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you use what I think is called “upgrade with miles”, in which case you are redeeming miles at a set rate (~1.1c/mile) to buy up to first class on the website, then your fare is changed to a revenue FC fare (eg, Z), just as if you had used cash. So you do earn the higher MQMs. I don’t think I earned the EQDs though on the cash equivalent basis on my flight a few weeks ago where I did this, but I have to check. I *think* you’re supposed to.

ETA: No, you don’t earn any additional MQDs unless you pay for the upgrade in cash. But you do earn the bonus MQMs in both cases

If you do do a SkyMiles Upgrade award which are fixed prices depending on route and purchased fare class, then that changes to the reward upgrade fare class OY, and you earn per your original ticket.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by ijgordon; Feb 16, 19 at 10:43 pm