Wiki Posts
Search

DM status and preferred seating

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
DM status and preferred seating

Hi, couldn't find an answer to this. Apologies if it's obvious..

I'm DM and just booked a W (C+) fare on a domestic leg. I tried to pick an exit row seat but Delta.com told me the seat was preferred and unavailable to me. I read online somewhere that said preferred seating should be available to DM. I asked Delta via Twitter and the agent said that I could only pick a seat in the C+ cabin. During booking the preferred seat showed as available, and after booking if I look at the seatmap my only choices are the available C+ seats.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Hi, couldn't find an answer to this. Apologies if it's obvious..

I'm DM and just booked a W (C+) fare on a domestic leg. I tried to pick an exit row seat but Delta.com told me the seat was preferred and unavailable to me. I read online somewhere that said preferred seating should be available to DM. I asked Delta via Twitter and the agent said that I could only pick a seat in the C+ cabin. During booking the preferred seat showed as available, and after booking if I look at the seatmap my only choices are the available C+ seats.
Exit rows on most aircraft are not in the C+ cabin, so by trying to choose an exit row you are trying to select a seat in a different cabin than you are booked (a lower class of service). Preferred seats are seats in the main cain that are reserved for elites. C+ is higher class of service. You need to either sit in a C+ seat (the blue seats on the map) or call DL and ask to be downgraded so that you can choose the exit row (but you won't get free drinks and snacks). I suggest you choose a seat you like in C+.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Exit rows on most aircraft are not in the C+ cabin, so by trying to choose an exit row you are trying to select a seat in a different cabin than you are booked (a lower class of service). Preferred seats are seats in the main cain that are reserved for elites. C+ is higher class of service. You need to either sit in a C+ seat (the blue seats on the map) or call DL and ask to be downgraded so that you can choose the exit row (but you won't get free drinks and snacks). I suggest you choose a seat you like in C+.
Ok, thanks. I did pick a seat I was happy with in C+. I didn't study the seat map before I selected C+, so in hindsight it would have made sense to just book in Main and choose the exit row.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Ok, thanks. I did pick a seat I was happy with in C+. I didn't study the seat map before I selected C+, so in hindsight it would have made sense to just book in Main and choose the exit row.
Why don't you just cancel and rebuy the fare as main cabin? 24 risk free cancellation.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I'm not sure why a Diamond would ever book a C+ fare unless it is OPM and you want the MQD and SkyMiles (and that seems.. a little questionable).

As noted in this thread, booking in Main Cabin gives you access to preferred seats (which are oftentimes superior to C+) and C+ seats, meaning that C+ is actually a more restrictive fare than Main Cabin.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Wondering why you would buy a c+ fare when it’s a free upgrade immediately after booking a main fare? Unless work is paying and you are squeezing them for MQM/MQDs
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by cboy
Wondering why you would buy a c+ fare when it’s a free upgrade immediately after booking a main fare? Unless work is paying and you are squeezing them for MQM/MQDs
That is the first thing I wanted to ask too when i saw this post (though you dont even get an MQM bonus with C+ compared to Y)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:27 am

I was recently buying a flight via my work portal and for some reason one segment would only price in W despite plenty of availability in discounted economy buckets showing up when I went to delta.com. It was weird.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Dont you miss the days when you could book any seat in your class of service without having to thru hoops
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ethernal
I'm not sure why a Diamond would ever book a C+ fare unless it is OPM and you want the MQD and SkyMiles (and that seems.. a little questionable).

As noted in this thread, booking in Main Cabin gives you access to preferred seats (which are oftentimes superior to C+) and C+ seats, meaning that C+ is actually a more restrictive fare than Main Cabin.
When only the expensive fare buckets are left in coach for close in bookings, on rare occasions, I've seen discount first class still available and cheaper than the remaining unrestricted Y fares, so I can see C+ pricing as cheaper than C- in some rare circumstances.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
When only the expensive fare buckets are left in coach for close in bookings, on rare occasions, I've seen discount first class still available and cheaper than the remaining unrestricted Y fares, so I can see C+ pricing as cheaper than C- in some rare circumstances.
This is true for F, but it is highly unlikely because (a) C+ is not available close-in and (b) unlike F which is priced independently of Y, C+ is still linked directly to an underlying Y fare bucket with an upcharge associated with it. No underlying Y fare availability and pricing, no W is offered for sale.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Don't ask anymore questions of the OP (hey, that's me). He just wasn't thinking straight and went down a path on auto pilot, then saw a seat he liked that he couldn't have. That's all.

As to why I book C+ instead of waiting for the DM upgrade, I guess since I'm a fairly new DM that I don't quite trust that it will work and just want the seats I want during booking. However stupid that may be..

Ok, you can have another hour of piling on me then let's just call it good and move on?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:58 am

Don't ask anymore questions of the OP (hey, that's me). He just wasn't thinking straight and went down a path on auto pilot, then saw a seat he liked that he couldn't have. That's all.

As to why I book C+ instead of waiting for the DM upgrade, I guess since I'm a fairly new DM that I don't quite trust that it will work and just want the seats I want during booking. However stupid that may be..

Ok, you can have another hour of piling on me then let's just call it good and move on?
You literally can book the regular ticket, don't even pick a seat, then once the payment is made go into My Trips and select your C+ seat. It will already have given you one also.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM

Not piling on, but wanted to say that i have been Diamond for quite a few years. I fly mostly regionally in the upper Midwest and there are times that I buy a coach ticket and do not get upgraded to C+ right away. I have MSP-DEN tickets for next week sitting in coach, no upgrade yet. So you are not guaranteed an upgrade, but ~90% of the time I get it right away.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by MinnTee
Not piling on, but wanted to say that i have been Diamond for quite a few years. I fly mostly regionally in the upper Midwest and there are times that I buy a coach ticket and do not get upgraded to C+ right away. I have MSP-DEN tickets for next week sitting in coach, no upgrade yet. So you are not guaranteed an upgrade, but ~90% of the time I get it right away.
But that's because there is no W availability at all. I have never seen a situation where W was available for sale and an upgrade was not granted.

That said, I wish they did inventory management on W upgrades... so that I'd have a chance for it when I book (in my experience, C+ is never available booking less than two weeks in for any longer route).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.