Severe Turbulence on DL Flight

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Flying over the Sierra Nevadas right now - taking a zig-zag route at varying altitudes, presumably to avoid the worst of it (and also delaying the flight more than it already was).

Flight attendants repeatedly yelled at someone over the intercom to stay seated when someone got up to go to the bathroom (including threatening a diversion if they did not sit back down).

Nothing abnormal yet - we'll see if anything hits in the next 10-15 min.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Wow I hate these really turbulent flights
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Ended up being pretty uneventful - I would have called it a light chop. Of course, all it takes is that one big lurch to end up with broken bones so easy to say uneventful until you're that unlucky flight that hits a bad pocket.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:43 am

Another reminder to keep the seatbelt on unless I am standing up.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Flying over the Sierra Nevadas right now - taking a zig-zag route at varying altitudes, presumably to avoid the worst of it (and also delaying the flight more than it already was).

Flight attendants repeatedly yelled at someone over the intercom to stay seated when someone got up to go to the bathroom (including threatening a diversion if they did not sit back down).

Nothing abnormal yet - we'll see if anything hits in the next 10-15 min.
Had a FA like that on my SNA to ATL flight Sunday 2/10. She was being rather rude, but understandably so, as it was a bumpy flight and people get up a lot on those cross country flights.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Okay, there is evidence that climate change is likely to cause increased turbulence. But there are many factors that cause turbulence for aircraft other than updrafts.

Without going into atmospheric dynamics, flying through a 170mph jet stream (as suggested by forecast soundings at the time and location of the incident) will often be turbulent because it is very hard for the atmosphere to flow smoothly at those speeds. The aircraft was also flying near the tropopause, which can cause increased shear instability.

Bottom line, don't blame this on "global warming" -- it's impossible to attribute a single event to "global warming."
I just had to say that landing over the wood, is a lot bumpier than a plowed field,

I have spent many a hours flying planes,,with my share of bumps.,
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I have to wonder why they would have the drink carts out going over the Sierras in a storm while going perpendicular to the jet stream? That was not a good idea.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I flew SNA to MSP yesterday AM. The majority of the ride was turbulent. Not the best flight ever but crew handled really well.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I experienced severe turbulence once. Not gonna lie, I was genuinely scared. This is no joke.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were drinks on the house after they escaped from the cart?
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I don't think I've ever been in severe. Moderate, once, which was bad enough. A hellish flight from PEK to NRT.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by TomMM
Were drinks on the house after they escaped from the cart?
On the house... and the ceiling, and the carpet, and the seatbacks...
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Does Delta Connection use the same software Delta mainline uses to avoid turbulence or no?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
I can assure everyone here that Delta did not encounter any turbulence at all, merely just "rough air."

Originally Posted by koreanair720
I don't think I've ever been in severe. Moderate, once, which was bad enough. A hellish flight from PEK to NRT.
"Moderate" gets thrown around a lot but by a strict definition, even moderate is extremely rare. I believe the definition includes something to the effect of continuous strain against the seatbelt. Most of what is attributed as "moderate" is really just light.

There's also a difference between Severe and Extreme though those tend to be used interchangeably too.

I used to live in RNO and would read stories about once every 2 or so years about a flight with severe turbulence resulting in passenger or crew injuries. I'd inevitably look into it and it almost always occurred roughly in the same spot as this flight encountered it.
MfromL likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by satman40
Global Warming, causing sever updrafts..
M. the president Trump say Global Warming is a hoax from Chinese...
Possible some electronic equipment's are also from China...
Again it is Chinese fault...
davetravels likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.