Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
It was DL 5763 from SNA>SEA and operated by N613CZ:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N613CZ
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/delta...injured-report

Just going to say I think the drink carts are more of a "projectile threat" then a laptop, tablet, or phone but thats just me.....

Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentharris

Just going to say I think the drink carts are more of a "projectile threat" then a laptop, tablet, or phone but thats just me.....
Which is why they are stowed, and much more securely (with FAA-approved securing mechanisms) than the other items, for takeoff and landing.

Is someone arguing to the contrary, that drink carts are less of a threat than the other items? Or are you saying drink carts should never be in the aisles during a flight? (Apologies if I am missing your point.)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
It’s still pretty damn bumpy on climbout from LAX-MSP this morning.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by vincentharris

ok.....?

what's your point?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Kind of amazing they were doing drink service at the time. Per the article, heavy turbulence was forecast?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OT but the Reno newspaper article linked in the OP has a picture (file photo from FLL airport) of a mainline narrowbody DL aircraft with "The Spirit of FREEDOM" pointed on its tight front "fender." Does anyone know the story behind this? I know about the "Spirit of DELTA" 767 and am wondering....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by nightkhan
ok.....?

what's your point?
Originally Posted by Bear96
Which is why they are stowed, and much more securely (with FAA-approved securing mechanisms) than the other items, for takeoff and landing.

Is someone arguing to the contrary, that drink carts are less of a threat than the other items? Or are you saying drink carts should never be in the aisles during a flight? (Apologies if I am missing your point.)
It was a joke everyone that is all.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Yesterday, SLC-SMF was definitely one of the bumpiest rides I've had in a long time as we passed over the Sierra Nevada mountains. The National Weather Service out of Reno has been warning of severe turbulence for several days now in their forecast discussions. Wednesday mornings forecast included:

The wind in western Nevada could cause extensive delays to air
traffic and periods of downright dangerous flying conditions with
extreme turbulence, very strong low level wind shear, and
unpredictable near-surface rotors. A High Wind Warning is in
affect Wednesday and Thursday. Ridge top winds in excess of 130+
knots are likely with the jet stream over the Sierra strengthening
to 180+ knots as the polar and subtropical jets collide over the
region. This is a particularly dangerous situation for aviation in
the lee of the Sierra over the next few days.

This whole month the region has been getting pounded by huge storms, but this current storm is making for particularly rough air. The route for SNA-SEA basically follows the crest of the Sierra through CA so it was hard to avoid. Fingers crossed my flight out of Reno this evening can find a hole and punch it through.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Global Warming, causing sever updrafts..
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT but the Reno newspaper article linked in the OP has a picture (file photo from FLL airport) of a mainline narrowbody DL aircraft with "The Spirit of FREEDOM" pointed on its tight front "fender." Does anyone know the story behind this? I know about the "Spirit of DELTA" 767 and am wondering....
EDIT: see this Flight Museum page for the story behind all of the special liveries.

http://www.deltamuseum.org/exhibits/...special-livery
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:37 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I came across this a coupl'a days ago, and I was gonna post it, but I thought some might think it's insensitive . . . . but . . . . then I thought . . . . naaaah, we can handle it!

Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by satman40
Global Warming, causing sever updrafts..
Okay, there is evidence that climate change is likely to cause increased turbulence. But there are many factors that cause turbulence for aircraft other than updrafts.

Without going into atmospheric dynamics, flying through a 170mph jet stream (as suggested by forecast soundings at the time and location of the incident) will often be turbulent because it is very hard for the atmosphere to flow smoothly at those speeds. The aircraft was also flying near the tropopause, which can cause increased shear instability.

Bottom line, don't blame this on "global warming" -- it's impossible to attribute a single event to "global warming."
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Bear96

I have been a few flights in 1A on a regional jet where I have a prime view of the galley during takeoff where a drink cart has gone for a ride. A couple instances the latch was broken and flipped up on its own and a couple others the FA forget to secure the drink cart. And wow the FAs pop out of their jumpseat quick to rescue the cart when it happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.