Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying first class is great until something goes wrong...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying first class is great until something goes wrong...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by beancounter
I have a medical condition that makes it almost impossible to sit in an economy seat so I need a business or first class seat. I've never had a cancelled flight as yet but obviously if it were to happen I'd have to insist on a business/first seat on next available flight and if because of upgrading someone with status caused me to not get said seat there would be h*ll to pay.
That was my option 1, wait until reservation could confirm me in FC the next day. Delta would have had to pay for hotel & meals since the misconnect was caused by a mechanical issue on my first flight.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Christefan
You are correct, that if you get rebooked onto a different flight where FC is not available and you get confirmed onto the flight, then you will have priority over others in your medallion tear. Atlanta is a station that "zeros out" all flights in FC for the day if they show heavy loads in coach. In my case, reservation could not confirm a FC seat until the next day because all remaining flights for that day showed 0/0 (avail/auth). Standby passengers take a back seat to any confirmed passenger even when holding a FC ticket. That was my point.

So perhaps the right policy is that paid F pax should be confirmed, at least in Y, on new routing during irrops, even if that causes an oversell?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
That is why I call, as soon as there is any credible indication that my scheduled flight will likely not go out, or that I will miss a connection, and ask to be protected on the next available flight.

On a paid FC ticket (cash or coupon-paid), if there is a FC seat available, my experience has been that the telephone agents will confirm it for you.
That is also my procedure. Unfortunately ATL will "zero out" FC for the entire day if they show heavy (overbooked) loads in coach. When I checked availability for FC at 10am, there were still 8 more flights ATL-FLL after 11am departure and ALL of them showed 0/0 for FC with negative -2 to -10 for coach.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
But there is one F/J seat kept open (at least on A330/767 flights, not sure about smaller aircraft) until time of boarding (not reflected in seatmap, seatmap showing all full), that is available for F/J purchase or irrops/standby/SDC (with seat assignment at gate).

So IME in case of an F/J pax needing to get on at the last minute (<24 hours out), unless the flight is less than full, the first passenger to get on the list may be able to get on, but not more than one, not unless some F/J pax are no shows. Meaning one will confirm into the blocked seat, but not more than one.

Saying this based on several experiences where it's proven to be case, and having it been so confirmed by the GAs as well.
Even if there is a seat or two left for the gate. These seats don't show up in the inventory for reservations to confirm you in. Therefore your only option is to go standby and in that case these seats go to the upgrade list before they go to FC standbys. That is my entire point of this post....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Even if there is a seat or two left for the gate. These seats don't show up in the inventory for reservations to confirm you in.
IME it actually does, just you cannot get a confirmed seat, but the res will be confirmed - so it can be so reticketed, confirmed, just no seat assignment. So I mean you can check in, but just get a BP with a 'seat assigned at gate'.
That is for the one seat that is held back from upgrades, but not necessarily from sales. Past that you can go on standby only, but pretty much it's impossible to clear unless there are some F/J no shows.

This, though, is on 767 and A330 routes. For smaller single-aisle aircraft short hop flights it may be different..
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
There needs to be a separate first class standby list. This would be for people who purchased F tickets and either encountered irrops or an F passenger that wants to stands for a different flight. Irrops has higher priority. This list would be cleared before the upgrade list.
DiverDave, RealHJ and Christefan like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Buying first class tickets on Delta is great and has some advantages when trying to go SDC until something goes wrong during your travel like it happened to me today. I was on a my way from Chicago via Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. The first flight had a mechanical delay which caused me to misconnect in Atlanta. All later flights (I was on the 11am ATL-FLL) were sold out. My options were to take a standby downgrade or to stay the night (paid for by Delta - Hotel, Food, etc). I picked the first option and was listed as standby on the next flight. While first class had checked in full, shortly after I was cleared into coach, the agent upgraded 2 confirmed passengers from coach to first class which was in accordance with their policies. Delta would rather upgrade a coach passenger from the upgrade list, than honor a first class ticket and confirm me as seats became available. Now they had to refund the fare difference and also issued me a travel voucher. If I would have chosen the first class seat on the next day, Delta would have rather paid for hotel & meals than accommodating me in the ticketed class of service. Bottom line: First class tickets are great until something goes wrong. So why should I pay the premium, only to end up in coach.....?
I have never understood why stand by paid first tickets are cleared after upgrades. Has never made sense to me.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC

I have never understood why stand by paid first tickets are cleared after upgrades. Has never made sense to me.
Because somebody in IT is too lazy to change the algorithm and DL enjoys spending hundreds more than they made off the flight in paying for somebody to get a hotel, meals, vouchers, etc.

Seriously though it makes zero sense, RUC by default moves you to the top of the list so why cant DL create a faux RUC for people in this situation who have a paid F ticket that needs a seat. They can just make this behind the scenes code higher than anything in terms of upgrades.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC

Well, I guess their view is that if coach is oversold, then they shouldn't be adding new passengers onto the flight, especially if they can upgrade coach passengers into empty FC seats. I suppose it comes down to which is typically larger -- voluntary/involuntary denied boarding comp vs. downgrade comp. But IMO they really should treat the FC cabin separately, otherwise it diminishes the value of paying for FC in the first place.
Christefan likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Standby is exactly that... it's standby. Deal with all the confirmed pax for that flight first, regardless of their fare. If everyone checks in for an oversold flight, and paid F standbys start taking seats ahead of comp UG then their's going to be even more IDBs in Y. IRROPs suck, but buying F doesn't give you the right to pass your inconveniences off to someone else who wasn't IRROPed.
defrosted likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I've been on both sides of this -- once got upgraded at the gate, then paged and downgraded for an IRROPs accommodation. I also just this week got IRROPed out of an F seat, and was "forced" to fly standby in Y vs overnight stay and arrive the following afternoon.

The difference is that in the first case they were able to confirm whoever on the flight, whereas in the second case it wasn't clear until boarding ended whether I'd even get on the plane.

Suboptimal, but I get it, and I'm not overly bothered by this (I did get my $200 downgrade comp and they promised the fare difference refund is forthcoming, which helps )

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Seriously though it makes zero sense, RUC by default moves you to the top of the list so why cant DL create a faux RUC for people in this situation who have a paid F ticket that needs a seat. They can just make this behind the scenes code higher than anything in terms of upgrades.
The problem with this, as noted above and in the other replies, is that if the plane is already completely full with confirmed pax, you don't know until the boarding cutoff whether there are any no-shows and whether the standby pax will even get a seat. Then in order to give standby F passengers priority on the upgrade list you'd have to hold all of the upgradeable F seats until the end of boarding and then battlefield-upgrade everybody. That could become impractical if it's more than 1-2 seats.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
So perhaps the right policy is that paid F pax should be confirmed, at least in Y, on new routing during irrops, even if that causes an oversell?
What.. why? Flight is oversold. It is what it is.

Why would F get special treatment? If Delta isn't willing to sell a $1500 one-way Y ticket (their usual last seat before oversale price for a domestic ticket), they won't be willing to put an F passenger on the flight.

F passengers aren't that special. If they provided that treatment to F passengers, I should expect the same treatment as a Y passenger that pays more for my flights (especially on a per mile/segment basis) than most F passengers.

Maybe you could talk about that kind of stuff for international J travelers that miss their domestic connection. Certainly not for a standard domestic Y pax.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Standby is exactly that... it's standby. Deal with all the confirmed pax for that flight first, regardless of their fare. If everyone checks in for an oversold flight, and paid F standbys start taking seats ahead of comp UG then their's going to be even more IDBs in Y. IRROPs suck, but buying F doesn't give you the right to pass your inconveniences off to someone else who wasn't IRROPed.
This!
All this moaning, but standing by means AFTER everything is said and done is there anything left they will accommodate you. The notion that anyone on standby should be ahead of anyone confirmed on the flight for anything is completely ludicrous. Nobody is forcing anyone to standby.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
That must be frustrating, OP. I wonder whether this was a Y-UP fare and whether that's treated differently than, say, full-fare F or J.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by steveholt
That must be frustrating, OP. I wonder whether this was a Y-UP fare and whether that's treated differently than, say, full-fare F or J.
Y-UPs (at least officially) ceased to be a thing back in 2016. That said, I do think they may still be treated differently than regular upgrades (even if they no longer clear more than 5 days out). I have cleared at ~T-30 when only 1 first class seat was available (i.e. I consumed the last available seat) and I have never been less than #1 on the gate upgrade list when I have a Y fare - even on routes that frequently see RUC use.
steveholt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.