Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying first class is great until something goes wrong...

Buying first class is great until something goes wrong...

Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
IDB laws need to be changed to include class of service. If Delta bumps me out of a ticketed and confirmed F seat then that should qualify as an IDB. I paid for first class, not coach.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Great post, OP, because I have suffered this problem too (AA, it isn't a Delta unique problem). It's a great example of how a law like EU261 would really help premium passengers in the USA, since on EU carriers (and ex-EU flights) a downgrade in class of service is worth 75% the price paid as cash (not a price difference/refund or comp certificate). And keep in mind, inside the EU "business class" is just an economy seat with a blocked middle, so it isn't even as big a downgrade as it is to F passengers here in the States.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
My understanding is that in an IROP situation, a paid F ticket gets highest priority ahead of everyone else on the standby list. Has that changed recently?
That is correct. The first class ticket has the highest standby priority BEHIND the confirmed UG list.
Widgets likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You should have been put in first before any of the freeloaders. I would write Delta.
That was my point. Delta's policy states that they will process the UG list of confirmed passengers BEFORE taking on first class standbys. Therefore you will never get into FC on IRROP since I can't remember having ever seen a flight with an empty UG list for first.
Widgets likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
We can't be certain that the customers upgraded were not also F pax who also had IRROPS.

I believe that one purpose of the advanced upgrade program is so that DL can open up more coach inventory to sell, especially when Y tickets are the most expensive. I actually think that this is probably their #1 reason for offering advanced upgrades. I don't think they care where you sit as long as you buy a ticket.
We do know that, because they came of the confirmed UG list. I was the first passenger on the standby list.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Had this happen once before to me. On a paid F ticket, original flight went MX, so was put on a later flight, and they cleared 4 people on the UG list into F and i rode in the last row next to the bathroom even tho i was on a paid F ticket. Ended up having to refund me all the difference plus compensation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Christefan
That was my point. Delta's policy states that they will process the UG list of confirmed passengers BEFORE taking on first class standbys. Therefore you will never get into FC on IRROP since I can't remember having ever seen a flight with an empty UG list for first.
What policy are you referring to?

This is simply not true. If you are a paid F pax, you can voluntarily downgrade on the next flight and be confirmed on the flight. This is very different than being standby on the flight at all, where the UG list is processed before folks who aren't even confirmed on the flight yet.

However, on the upgrade list (not standby list) you should have been above comp UGs. If you werent, ask for a Red Coat.

They can make sure you are properly coded on the UG list as an inconvenienced, F ticketed pax waiting for an F seat/the upgrade.

I had this exact same scenario happen to me and the Red Coat who came said any customer, but especially DM can always ask for Red Coat for this type of technical assistance (as he said most purple agents just rebook without properly recoding you).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by RealHJ
The "problem" is that...upgrades are processed too far out.

Solution to this would be to leave more upgrades to be processed just at time of boarding, thus leaving more FC seats open for irrops, mis-connects, last minute full F/J purchase, etc. That should keep the higher paying customers happy and bring more revenue, so frankly I am not sure why DL (and others) don't do that.
This! I'm not in a hub city and connect to get everywhere. I end up booking very long layovers to avoid this, as I've been burned many times. The downgrade is particularly unacceptable, because I buy first class specifically to avoid economy. Not to "bask" in the delights of first class.

OP I feel for you. Better luck next time.
Christefan likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:04 am

I have a medical condition that makes it almost impossible to sit in an economy seat so I need a business or first class seat. I've never had a cancelled flight as yet but obviously if it were to happen I'd have to insist on a business/first seat on next available flight and if because of upgrading someone with status caused me to not get said seat there would be h*ll to pay.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by beancounter
I have a medical condition that makes it almost impossible to sit in an economy seat so I need a business or first class seat. I've never had a cancelled flight as yet but obviously if it were to happen I'd have to insist on a business/first seat on next available flight and if because of upgrading someone with status caused me to not get said seat there would be h*ll to pay.
The key is to understand the rules. If there first class seats open, youll be given that seat. If there arent any open, your choice - get on the next flight with a first class available seat or take the coach seat in the earlier flight.

The problem is when they get you into the roster on a standby basis. Then, as noted above, youll end up in coach due to procedure that Delta use.

From a practical perspective, I get into the FC seat as long as you call prior to the gate taking control. Once the gate takes control of the flight, all you can do is go the standby route.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Had this happen once before to me. On a paid F ticket, original flight went MX, so was put on a later flight, and they cleared 4 people on the UG list into F and i rode in the last row next to the bathroom even tho i was on a paid F ticket. Ended up having to refund me all the difference plus compensation.
Maybe someone should tell some of DL's shareholders this policy is costing them money and can easily be fixed...
Anyone involuntarily standing by for a flight with a first class ticket should absolutely clear into first class before any elite upgrades.
I can understand a more valid debate about voluntary standbys, although personally I think those should confirm into F first as well.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by cre95

The key is to understand the rules. If there first class seats open, youll be given that seat. If there arent any open, your choice - get on the next flight with a first class available seat or take the coach seat in the earlier flight.

The problem is when they get you into the roster on a standby basis. Then, as noted above, youll end up in coach due to procedure that Delta use.

From a practical perspective, I get into the FC seat as long as you call prior to the gate taking control. Once the gate takes control of the flight, all you can do is go the standby route.
That is why I call, as soon as there is any credible indication that my scheduled flight will likely not go out, or that I will miss a connection, and ask to be protected on the next available flight.

On a paid FC ticket (cash or coupon-paid), if there is a FC seat available, my experience has been that the telephone agents will confirm it for you.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cre95

The key is to understand the rules. If there first class seats open, you’ll be given that seat. If there aren’t any open, your choice - get on the next flight with a first class available seat or take the coach seat in the earlier flight.

The problem is when they get you into the roster on a standby basis. Then, as noted above, you’ll end up in coach due to procedure that Delta use.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
That is why I call, as soon as there is any credible indication that my scheduled flight will likely not go out, or that I will miss a connection, and ask to be protected on the next available flight.

On a paid FC ticket (cash or coupon-paid), if there is a FC seat available, my experience has been that the telephone agents will confirm it for you.
That's my approach as well. If there is a FC seat, I get confirmed into it. Otherwise, I either go to the lounge and wait for my originally confirmed FC seat or know that I will seating in coach. Bottom line, it's my decision to make fully knowing the outcome. No need to believe that I will miraculously go from standby to a FC seat and then send a message to Delta when it doesn't come through
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Christefan
But there is one F/J seat kept open (at least on A330/767 flights, not sure about smaller aircraft) until time of boarding (not reflected in seatmap, seatmap showing all full), that is available for F/J purchase or irrops/standby/SDC (with seat assignment at gate).

So IME in case of an F/J pax needing to get on at the last minute (<24 hours out), unless the flight is less than full, the first passenger to get on the list may be able to get on, but not more than one, not unless some F/J pax are no shows. Meaning one will confirm into the blocked seat, but not more than one.

Saying this based on several experiences where it's proven to be case, and having it been so confirmed by the GAs as well.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What policy are you referring to?

This is simply not true. If you are a paid F pax, you can voluntarily downgrade on the next flight and be confirmed on the flight. This is very different than being standby on the flight at all, where the UG list is processed before folks who aren't even confirmed on the flight yet.

However, on the upgrade list (not standby list) you should have been above comp UGs. If you werent, ask for a Red Coat.

They can make sure you are properly coded on the UG list as an inconvenienced, F ticketed pax waiting for an F seat/the upgrade.

I had this exact same scenario happen to me and the Red Coat who came said any customer, but especially DM can always ask for Red Coat for this type of technical assistance (as he said most purple agents just rebook without properly recoding you).
You are correct, that if you get rebooked onto a different flight where FC is not available and you get confirmed onto the flight, then you will have priority over others in your medallion tear. Atlanta is a station that "zeros out" all flights in FC for the day if they show heavy loads in coach. In my case, reservation could not confirm a FC seat until the next day because all remaining flights for that day showed 0/0 (avail/auth). Standby passengers take a back seat to any confirmed passenger even when holding a FC ticket. That was my point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.