Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Self-upgrading" at seat selection in Delta App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

I was looking at seat selection for upcoming domestic flight (flight is in a couple of days, upgrade requested but not cleared yet) and noticed that I can select 1st class seat without usual upcharge.

I went ahead and changed seat to 1st class. The booking code changed from L to OU.

Was it a glitch or I just happened to check seats when upgrade was already cleared but not processed yet?

Have not received any usual upgrade notifications from Delta.

​​​
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Class OU should be free elite upgrade.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by AntonS
I was looking at seat selection for upcoming domestic flight (flight is in a couple of days, upgrade requested but not cleared yet) and noticed that I can select 1st class seat without usual upcharge.

I went ahead and changed seat to 1st class. The booking code changed from L to OU.

Was it a glitch or I just happened to check seats when upgrade was already cleared but not processed yet?

Have not received any usual upgrade notifications from Delta.

​​​
same thing happened to me for a MSP-BOS leg I had. I was 5 days out (right at my window), looking at the seat map, and I could select a seat in first for "free". I clicked it, saved it, and my fare class changed to OU as well. The next day I got an email saying I was upgraded, and the email listed the seat that I picked.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Is this the norm? If yes, this is awesome!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Update from OP: received upgrade confirmation about 1 hour after first class seat selection.

Based on the seatmap nobody else was upgraded so far in the same time frame (same C+ and F seats available since yesterday).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
You can select your own seat a little bit before the official upgrade notification, I have also found, in my experience exactly 5 days before the flight. Nice touch. Of course, they still want $300 to upgrade me on the other leg of my trip 3 days from now!
Xeno likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had this same thing happen last night for my flight on Friday. I got the notification that I was “UG” right around T-72 to C+ on my first flight. While I was at it, I checked the seat map for the second leg and when I tried to select a FC seat, it said it was “Free” which I selected it and my fare class changed to OU and I got the new DL App UG notifaction on my phone about 30 mins later.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
i was able to do it 5 days out too....quick delete this thread before everyone finds out haha
RaflW likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:47 am

Noticed this as well; but with a twist (I think?). On a multi-leg itin, where only the final leg was domestic and hence eligible for FC upgrade.

First flight was below T-5, but the domestic flight was still above T-5. Even so, like the other examples, going through the seat maps, I noticed that there was no $ amount for first class on the domestic leg, nor was it gray X'ed out. I just tapped a seat to see what would happen, and it let me save to OU!

Can someone clarify for me: is it SOP that you become eligible on the whole itin when the first leg drops under T-5, or was this an error (on top of another possible error), and you should only become eligible as each flight in turn drops below T-5?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by swuglife
Noticed this as well; but with a twist (I think?). On a multi-leg itin, where only the final leg was domestic and hence eligible for FC upgrade.

First flight was below T-5, but the domestic flight was still above T-5. Even so, like the other examples, going through the seat maps, I noticed that there was no $ amount for first class on the domestic leg, nor was it gray X'ed out. I just tapped a seat to see what would happen, and it let me save to OU!

Can someone clarify for me: is it SOP that you become eligible on the whole itin when the first leg drops under T-5, or was this an error (on top of another possible error), and you should only become eligible as each flight in turn drops below T-5?
I’ve seen it happen both ways, TBH. Sometimes both legs clear at T-5, and sometimes they don’t.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by swuglife

I’ve seen it happen both ways, TBH. Sometimes both legs clear at T-5, and sometimes they don’t.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
Someone should really delete this thread...
ab2013 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:30 am

Well it worked for me again today for my return. After my first flight cleared to C+ at T-72, I was able to select a FC seat for free on my connecting ATL-MLB flight before the T-72 window. I wonder how long this glitch will work before it is patched?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was able to upgrade companion and myself yesterday for DTW-SFO flight on Saturday. I did this on the website, so its seems pretty clear it's not specific to the App. FC was not very full, so could be there was inventory and upgrade processor just hadn't run yet. Return flight upgrade window for SFO-DTW opens in a few hours. Will see if it works on that flight too (if I don't get upgraded by the processor). FCM offer for that flight is currently $235.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
I was able to upgrade companion and myself yesterday for DTW-SFO flight on Saturday. I did this on the website, so its seems pretty clear it's not specific to the App. FC was not very full, so could be there was inventory and upgrade processor just hadn't run yet. Return flight upgrade window for SFO-DTW opens in a few hours. Will see if it works on that flight too (if I don't get upgraded by the processor). FCM offer for that flight is currently $235.
I feel that the issue is that if OU space is avalible (6+ seats where avalible in my case), it will let you select a seat after your first flight is at T-72. I checked it right before T-72 for my first flight and it said it was $149, right afterwords, it said Free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.