Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Self-upgrading" at seat selection in Delta App

Old Feb 15, 19, 12:22 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

I feel that the issue is that if OU space is avalible (6+ seats where avalible in my case), it will let you select a seat after your first flight is at T-72. I checked it right before T-72 for my first flight and it said it was $149, right afterwords, it said Free.
Your window opens at 72 hours as a GM. As a DM, I would expect to be to select for free at 120 hours.
Old Feb 15, 19, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I think the issue maybe that upgrade sweeps happen periodically (like every hour or so).

If OU seat just became available or you are at upgrade window and sweep did not happen yet, the system alows you to select OU seat for free, even before others who maybe higher on upgrade list than you.
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Your window opens at 72 hours as a GM. As a DM, I would expect to be to select for free at 120 hours.
I was able to get OU seats on the second leg at T-72 for my first flight. It was probably T-77 until the second leg, before the official GM window.
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:40 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got the auto-upgrade for return flight without doing anything, so couldn't test. Processor seems to have run early as it's not quite T-120 yet.
Old Feb 18, 19, 2:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA former-Platinum (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
As a GM, I was able to select C+ seat at T-72, but F seats were still showing as $$$ paid upgrades. I took a seat in C+. Iíve been checking periodically since and at about 16 hours later, I was able to select an F seat without additional fee. Got one of the last non-bulkhead seats on a MD-90. Short flight with no meal service, but appreciate the extra space and early boarding.
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, GL_Marriott, GHertz
Where is that self-upgrade thread?

I must be using the wrong keywords, but I remember a few recent posts about 'self-upgrades' for domestic flights.

I am at the 5 day mark for a domestic ticket and I missed the actual mark of the departure flight having been called to an unscheduled meeting. When I returned, I already had the upgrade and was able to select a better seat.

I then wanted to see about the connecting flight that would leave 3 hours later. I could see the FC seat map and when I selected a seat the pop-up window said free.

When I selected the exit and save, I then say a message in red that one of the seats - meaning the connecting flight - could not be saved. So I take it that even with 'self-upgrades' one must adhere strictly to the actual departure time of each flight?
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:34 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you try it again? I've had it happen a couple times and the first time I try to save the seat I get an error, but the second time it goes through (this is through the website, not the app).

Here is the original thread --
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:45 am

After reading your post, I tried it again but got the same error message.

(BTW, I just now got an alert on my iW about the first segment getting an ug.)

I did search for "self upgrade" so not sure how I missed that thread.

In any event, this thread should be moved to the original thread.
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:48 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Done.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
After reading your post, I tried it again but got the same error message.
Well, the connecting flight that earlier was marked as "free" now insists on $445 for a 1 hour flight.
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:43 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Data point:

Was managing Mom's reservation a few days ago. At the relevant window (GM) on one the second segment of her itinerary, the seat map showed FREE for both F (seemed extremely unlikely ) and C+ (which was wide open). However neither one would "stick" -- saving resulted in an error along the lines of "cannot process your seat request right now". I figured this was due to Schedule Change Saturday and sent a message on Twitter seeing if they could maybe seat her in C+.

After first pointing out that the C+ upgrade box was unchecked on her reservation (true, but irrelevant -- I had tried checking it again and that hadn't helped) they then claimed there was no C+ upgrade inventory (proven false by doing a test booking and seeing "Upgrade Available"). Waited until the end of Saturday night and tried it again (note, still with the C+ upgrade box unchecked) and it saved successfully and updated her fare class to SU, and she flew in the seat with no issues.
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, AS MVP Gold
Happened to me once, at 5 days before the flight, saw the FREE when selecting an FC seat. However, no way to save it, always erroring out.
I ended up not being upgraded after the normal upgrade process at the window nor at gate...

Still wondering if messing up with this somehow had my reservation locked during the upgrade decision, and what was supposed to be a free upgrade disappeared

So for now I stay as far away from the seat selection around +- 30 mins of the 5-day window :
Old Yesterday, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by doudou91 View Post
Happened to me once, at 5 days before the flight, saw the FREE when selecting an FC seat. However, no way to save it, always erroring out.
I ended up not being upgraded after the normal upgrade process at the window nor at gate...

Still wondering if messing up with this somehow had my reservation locked during the upgrade decision, and what was supposed to be a free upgrade disappeared

So for now I stay as far away from the seat selection around +- 30 mins of the 5-day window :
I find your post curious. While I got the ug for the first flight (ATL-OKC), when I later tried to do the "free" upgrades - inside the 5 day window - none of the other segments have cleared.

I am sure ATL-MEM RT - J2, J4 - will go to the gate, but curious that the ATL-OKC - J5 - has not cleared well under the 5 day window.