Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding int'l stopover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Adding int'l stopover

Apologies if this has been discussed; my Google-fu failed me here.

Is it possible to add a stopover on an international itinerary? All the answers I'm finding are in regards to award tickets. (And the answer there appears to be a resounding no.)

Itinerary is TPE-ICN-DTW. First leg is on China Airlines, but the ticket is DL. Is it possible to add two or three days in Seoul on the way back? (I did this in the past on BA, added a couple of days in London, I believe for a flat $200 or so. Does DL offer something like this?)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on the fare rules. Some fares allow a couple stopovers for $100 each, very cheap fares probably don't allow stopovers at all (although you could do an open jaw if allowed and purchase the short flight as a separate one way ticket or award ticket), and very expensive fares could allow a couple stopovers for free. Of course, all of this also depends on the market.

ADDED: when you say "add a stopover" does this mean that you've already purchased the ticket? If so, unless you have something like a FULL fare, I would assume that this would require rewriting the ticket and paying the change fee and any fare difference.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

ADDED: when you say "add a stopover" does this mean that you've already purchased the ticket? If so, unless you have something like a FULL fare, I would assume that this would require rewriting the ticket and paying the change fee and any fare difference.
No I haven't bought it yet.

Assuming from your answer not possible on a T or similar?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by koreanair720
No I haven't bought it yet.

Assuming from your answer not possible on a T or similar?
You need to look at the fare rules, play with multicity booking on delta.dumb, or call DL. However, if you call, they'll probably just tell you the cheapest fare for the dates (with stopover) you want and not identify any stopover fees or lower fares that would be available if you don't do the stopover.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need to look at the fare rules, play with multicity booking on delta.dumb, or call DL. However, if you call, they'll probably just tell you the cheapest fare for the dates (with stopover) you want and not identify any stopover fees or lower fares that would be available if you don't do the stopover.
I would also look at the cost of DTW–ICN and ICN–TPE as two separate tickets or even one-ways. You never know.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
If you haven't booked the ticket yet, you may be able to get a sense for possibilities by using the multi-city search on Delta.com, or on third-party search sites like Kayak. Sometimes this will be possible for cheap, other times it will cost more (sometimes much more).

It would definitely be worth searching on a Kayak or similar because if you are going to have to pay more for a stopover booking through Delta you may be able to find similar options for cheaper -- for example there can be cases where booking the same flights on Korean Air flight numbers instead of Delta flight numbers may result in better stopover options.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bgriff
If you haven't booked the ticket yet, you may be able to get a sense for possibilities by using the multi-city search on Delta.com, or on third-party search sites like Kayak. Sometimes this will be possible for cheap, other times it will cost more (sometimes much more).

It would definitely be worth searching on a Kayak or similar because if you are going to have to pay more for a stopover booking through Delta you may be able to find similar options for cheaper -- for example there can be cases where booking the same flights on Korean Air flight numbers instead of Delta flight numbers may result in better stopover options.
ITA Flight Matrix too. I've fought Flight Network to be very good about booking routings that I find on ITA Flight Matrix that Delta.com won't book after clicking through Book with Matrix. Google Flights is good, but not always the best -- especially for multi-city.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, just do a multi-city search for your desired itinerary. The pricing engine will determine the appropriate way to price it - as a simple round-trip fare that allows a stopover (and the fee, if any, will be included), or as, for example, an open jaw combined with a one-way. But you may also want to play around because that one-way leg might be cheaper if purchased on another airline.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all! Multi city itinerary did the trick.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:54 am
Suspended

Thanks, all! Multi city itinerary did the trick.
You can't leave us hanging. What did you book?
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You can't leave us hanging. What did you book?
IAD-ICN-TPE (DL ticket, KAL and then China Airlines metal.)

then

TPE-ICN on Korean Air

then ICN-MSP-BWI. Both Delta. It will, I believe, be the maiden DL flight on the ICN-MSP route!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:25 am

IAD-ICN-TPE (DL ticket, KAL and then China Airlines metal.)

then

TPE-ICN on Korean Air

then ICN-MSP-BWI. Both Delta. It will, I believe, be the maiden DL flight on the ICN-MSP route!
I'm jealous. That will be a special flight, although I hope it doesn't mean that we'll lose our Tokyo service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.