Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

People who bring a roller bag and a backpack on a CRJ.

Old Feb 12, 19, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AMEX Platinum & Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier Elite

...and sit on the single ‘A” side in FC where there is no overhead storage space are my latest pet peeve. The first three who do that wind up taking all of the available overhead space in FC.

Are your connections so tight that you can’t wait an extra 5 minutes after deplaning for the bag that you should have pink tagged and left at the gate?

Oh, wait, forgot. It’s all about you!
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have just as much right to put their rollaboard in the overhead as anyone else; are you saying they're also putting their personal item in the overhead? That's a separate issue really...
HDQDD and eastindywalrus like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
@EarlVolFan I'm afraid you're off base. Every passenger has the same carry-on allowance. It doesn't change based on where you sit. The overhead space is first come first serve.

"All about you" <- also off-base, in fact your gripe in this post is about you as you want people to sacrifice their own allowance while you sacrifice nothing.
cre95, SFO777, tangfish and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan View Post
...and sit on the single ‘A” side in FC where there is no overhead storage space are my latest pet peeve. The first three who do that wind up taking all of the available overhead space in FC.

Are your connections so tight that you can’t wait an extra 5 minutes after deplaning for the bag that you should have pink tagged and left at the gate?

Oh, wait, forgot. It’s all about you!
So I'm confused as to what the "A" seat has to do with it. If they have two bags (roll-a-board or large rolling laptop bag that can't fit under the seat + personal item), the personal item should go under the seat in front of them but that should be case whether they're sitting in A, B, or C (unless in the bulkhead) so what is your gripe specifically with people in the A seats doing this and not just passengers in general who do this?
nogophers and MarkP24 like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
So I'm confused as to what the "A" seat has to do with it. If they have two bags (roll-a-board or large rolling laptop bag that can't fit under the seat + personal item), the personal item should go under the seat in front of them but that should be case whether they're sitting in A, B, or C (unless in the bulkhead) so what is your gripe specifically with people in the A seats doing this and not just passengers in general who do this?
Because apparently according to OP, it's implied that the overhead space you're allocated is ONLY the ones above your seats. Therefore since there is no OH space above the "A" seats THEY aren't allowed to use the OH because they are taking the OH space away from OP who sits in BC, and sense it is over THEIR head THEY are entitled to the OH space.

Want OH space? Board earlier...you can get to the front of the boarding line too! Or put it further back in the cabin, after all it's only a 5 minute wait for other passengers to go by then you can walk back there to grab your bag. OR you could be one of the people who are so impatient they force themselves up stream to get to the OH space instead of just waiting a couple minutes for everyone else to deplane..
Old Feb 12, 19, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AMEX Platinum & Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier Elite
Iím talking about regional jets. Every rollaboard should be valet tagged on a CRJ, IMO. Thereís not enough room for rollers and personal items for everyone.

No one is ENTITLED to overhead space, but the apparently some folks feel that they can push to the front of the line with their roller, overstuffed backback and jacket and take up most of the overhead space, when the courteous thing to do would be to valet check their rollers.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Because apparently according to OP, it's implied that the overhead space you're allocated is ONLY the ones above your seats. Therefore since there is no OH space above the "A" seats THEY aren't allowed to use the OH because they are taking the OH space away from OP who sits in BC, and sense it is over THEIR head THEY are entitled to the OH space.

Want OH space? Board earlier...you can get to the front of the boarding line too! Or put it further back in the cabin, after all it's only a 5 minute wait for other passengers to go by then you can walk back there to grab your bag. OR you could be one of the people who are so impatient they force themselves up stream to get to the OH space instead of just waiting a couple minutes for everyone else to deplane..
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
No one is ENTITLED to overhead space, but the apparently some folks feel that they can push to the front of the line with their roller, overstuffed backback and jacket and take up most of the overhead space, when the courteous thing to do would be to valet check their rollers.
If it's within 22x14x9 and it fits on the plane, that's the end of it. There's no discourtesy in bringing it on.

The courteous thing is never to demand something of others when it's not expected of them.

As to the complaint about pushing to the front of the line, that's a separate issue. Gates are crowded spaces and the line is often ill-defined. As long as you're boarding in the appropriate zone, and you're not literally pushing others out of the way to get to the front, there's not really an addressable problem.
indufan, tangfish, HDQDD and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Which has nothing to do with the ďAĒ seat on the CRJ. Regardless of what seat someone is in, if they have a roller-bag and a personal item, they should place the personal item under the seat in front of them. But if their bag fits in the OH Bin, then thereís no need to valet check that bag. So other than ranting about pax who put all of their bags in the OH bin, Iím still not sure what your complaint is here.

If youíre in F and this is stressing you out, have a Woodford or have a Rum & Coke or have a glass of wine and relax.
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
I have the bag I have because it fits on a CR9. As to the "extra 5 minutes"....on what planet? 15 minutes....20 minutes...sometimes a half hour. I can't even begin to tell you how many connections I have made because I didn't pink tag my bag. No, I don't book them that close but delays happen. Doesn't matter anyway. It fits, I will use it.
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether a bag must be valet-checked is a matter between DL and the passenger. If DL lets the passenger carry the two bags on, he can find space for them. If an FA wants to require that his second bag, the personal item, go under the seat in front of him, that is between the FA and the passenger.

It's basically tough luck. DL permits more carry-ons than there is space and does not do enough about it on small aircraft. Most AA regional carriers prohibit anything with wheels, no matter what size. It's all gate-checked. DL chooses not to do so.

But, you have chosen DL, so you play be its rules.
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I want to get mad but this thread is not going to do it.
angra, emrdoc, Janus777 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Which has nothing to do with the ďAĒ seat on the CRJ. Regardless of what seat someone is in, if they have a roller-bag and a personal item, they should place the personal item under the seat in front of them.
(Emphasis added).

I alluded it to in my post # 2 upthread, but suspect this may really be the crux of the OP's complaint. It's certainly been discussed elsewhere on FT, and most seem to agree, that proper etiquette is to put ONE bag in the overhead and if you have a second personal item, you are to put that under the seat. If you only bring one bag onboard, you are still entitled to put that in the overhead.

If 3A is putting both his roller AND backpack in the overhead, then I agree person is a DB. But I don't think that's technically against any rules, just a matter of etiquette. The FA may or may not get involved. That, in turn, may or may not depend on how much you make a fuss in front of the whole cabin about seeing people put two bags in the overhead.
Old Feb 12, 19, 2:24 pm

Scandal: I will put both my items in the overhead bin. Most every time.

But, I will start with the roller bag only. And I will find a space for the backpack if one is available. And I will wait till late in boarding to do this. And I will gladly remove it if/when it becomes clear space is constrained if I see someone else unable to find space. And I will help move items around to make more space when people without my spatial skills -- or really any awareness of any other people being on the plane -- load the overhead idiotically. And I will help someone lift their bag up there too.

Sorry? No, not sorry.
Old Feb 12, 19, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The problem might be that the overhead bins on the 'A' side are the very very small ones and the bins on the other side are large enough to take a legal size rollaboard, but depending on the aircraft, it may have to go sideways.

So it appears that OP thinks if you take an 'A' seat, you accept that if you carry on two bags, both must be personal size or smaller. Don't go poaching bin space across the aisle.

Old Feb 12, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL GM / MM, Nat'l EE, Radisson Rewards, Marriott Silver
So if the OP and other first class pax are valet checking their large bags and placing their personal items below the seat in front of them, you'd just have the small bags from 1 A/C/D and an errant rollaboard or second bag to worry about. I like @ijgordon's approach based on that math.

Search this Thread