Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by zulu1128
Got the Away carry-on for Christmas, and 100% love it.
Ive been looking at those online and am considering buying it. Im interested to know your opinion on the pros/cons.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by JW6130
I recently purchased a Travelpro 22" with the old-school wheels (no spinners) that fits in the CRJ-700 and CRJ-900 bins sideways. I can't seem to find a link to it, but I've had good luck with 22" bags without spinner wheels fitting in both the CRJ-700 and 900. I avoid the CRJ-200, so I'm covered for most Delta trips.
I have the TravelPro Maxlite 4 22" (2 wheel*) and love it. Fits great on 900's and most 700's and it's extremely light weight. OP can hate all they want, but I bring it on every time. It only takes up half of a bin.

*Two wheelers hold about 10-15% more stuff than equivalent four wheelers and they're better ergonomically (especially on wrists). Added benefit is that it's significantly harder to damage the wheels on a two wheel vs 4. My latest 2 wheeler has about 600 flights on it. Prob checked on 5% of those. It has some wear, but I expect to get another year or so out of it.
tvnwz and BenA like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Not a fan of four wheelers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troppy

Originally Posted by zulu1128
Got the Away carry-on for Christmas, and 100% love it.
Ive been looking at those online and am considering buying it. Im interested to know your opinion on the pros/cons.
Well, zulu 100% loves it, so I doubt s/he has any cons.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, zulu 100% loves it, so I doubt s/he has any cons.
Haha, good point. Hopefully Zulu will revisit the thread and elaborate. Id like to put my hands on one before I drop 1k on a carryon roller and a larger one.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Troppy

Haha, good point. Hopefully Zulu will revisit the thread and elaborate. Id like to put my hands on one before I drop 1k on a carryon roller and a larger one.
Sorry...got sidetracked LOL

Pros: Lightweight, seems pretty durable, wheels/rolling action are smooth like butta, handle has good "grip" to it. Plenty of space, and the divided separate pockets on each side are very handy. Plus, it just looks COOL!

Cons: Only one so far is having to keep taking the damn battery out every time I board LOL.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by justpassinthru

I guess if I have to be peeved about something (we all do these days right) it is the occasional times when the flt crew won't open the door until the pink tags are offloaded and ready to be picked up...in those (relatively rare) cases I am actually held up to wait for the delivery of bags where someone else clearly should have packed lighter and brought it onboard...of course I am being sarcastic - the situations are real but it doesn't really bother me as long as it remains the exception and not the rule (it happens at small airports where connections aren't a big deal)...but I need to find something to be upset about or I might get kicked off the internet...
That doesn't happen much anymore. Almost every place (even small) uses Jetways for the RJs. Even those that don't rarely do this anymore. ASA was terrible about this years ago.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
How about "People who bring a roller bag and a backpack" and their backpack goes under the seat 'in front' of me, forcing me to put my personal item 5 rows behind me as overhead bin space is already taken by roller bags. The one time not in F yet could be first off the plane and I have to sit and wait for a break to go upstream to fetch my bag.

I have 'in front' in quotes because my seat was 19A on 757. So I suppose ownership of that under seat space is debatable. I just understand the OP's frustration when people feel the need to take all their belongings on board and take up space when people who don't take as much on board get denied convenient space when the space is limited due to aircraft design.

I get it, first come first served, and you snooze you loose, luck of the draw et al, but it is a valid pet peeve.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by indufan
I have the bag I have because it fits on a CR9. As to the "extra 5 minutes"....on what planet? 15 minutes....20 minutes...sometimes a half hour. I can't even begin to tell you how many connections I have made because I didn't pink tag my bag. No, I don't book them that close but delays happen. Doesn't matter anyway. It fits, I will use it.
Agreed. I went out of my way to get a 20" crew series TravelPro rather than a 22" so that it would perfectly fit even the CRJ-100 or Q400 overhead bins for the exact same reasons as above.

I routinely fly on CR7's, CR9's and in the "A" seat up front. My rollerboard goes into the bins wheels first, my backpack under seat in front. I'm curious why the OP think rollaboards should be banned on these aircraft. Whether I put a larger back pack into the bins, or my wheels first Travelpro, the total amount of space used is probably going to be similar.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
The "two bags overhead" BS pisses me off when the second would easily fit under the seat and they are gate checking bags...

That said, I have to suppress my smug look when my roller bag fits in the OH on a CRJ-200. I know that when it is only packed for 2-3 days it compresses in the right places to fit easily.

I also like the A side in F on the 700/900/17x's. I also know that there is a higher likely hood of having to gate check unless I am early in the F boarding process. I'd rather gate check then do the salmon swim for my bag during deplaning at my destination!
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
How about "People who bring a roller bag and a backpack" and their backpack goes under the seat 'in front' of me, forcing me to put my personal item 5 rows behind me as overhead bin space is already taken by roller bags. The one time not in F yet could be first off the plane and I have to sit and wait for a break to go upstream to fetch my bag.

I have 'in front' in quotes because my seat was 19A on 757. So I suppose ownership of that under seat space is debatable. I just understand the OP's frustration when people feel the need to take all their belongings on board and take up space when people who don't take as much on board get denied convenient space when the space is limited due to aircraft design.

I get it, first come first served, and you snooze you loose, luck of the draw et al, but it is a valid pet peeve.
Whats debatable? If youre in 19A on the 757 all your stuff goes in the OH bin because you dont have a seat in front of you. If I have 20A and you have 19A, your bag IS NOT going under 19A - thats where my feet or my personal item is going. I was in the second row of F one time with my feet stretch out and felt the guy in front of me trying to push his laptop briefcase under the seat where my feet were. I offered to trade seats with him if he wanted Row 2 so he could put his briefcase under the seat. He declined. So his laptop went in the OH bin, not in my legroom.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Whats debatable? If youre in 19A on the 757 all your stuff goes in the OH bin because you dont have a seat in front of you. If I have 20A and you have 19A, your bag IS NOT going under 19A - thats where my feet or my personal item is going. I was in the second row of F one time with my feet stretch out and felt the guy in front of me trying to push his laptop briefcase under the seat where my feet were. I offered to trade seats with him if he wanted Row 2 so he could put his briefcase under the seat. He declined. So his laptop went in the OH bin, not in my legroom.
There is a seat (17A) in front of 19A which has accessible space under it, 19B and 19C have FA jumpseats blocking the space in front of them. Similar to 21A on a 717 where there is no seat right in front of you, but there is still a seat ahead of you.

I agree I would never expect my stuff to go under my own seat.

19B's backpack went under 17A (in front of me), his roller bag went in the OH bin. My one small bag, which could have fit under the seat went in the OH bin a few rows back.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by FF524

ditto here. Bought and use a roller bag that fits into the CRJ overhead space. Will continue to use the overhead space as I always have.
Same here. And I prefer non bulk-head seats. If have a non bulkhead my backpack goes under the seat in front of me on any aircraft and rollerbag goes in the bin. If I'm in a bulkhead then both go in the bin. I figure if the people in rows 2 and back don't like it then they should have booked the bulkhead seat since the only time I take it on an RJ is if it's the only seat available when I get upgraded.

I'm not going to wait around for my bag to get pinktagged just to free up binspace for someone who didn't book a bulkhead seat to have a place for their bag. I've never seen bin space fill up for people who board with PREM.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
There is a seat (17A) in front of 19A which has accessible space under it, 19B and 19C have FA jumpseats blocking the space in front of them. Similar to 21A on a 717 where there is no seat right in front of you, but there is still a seat ahead of you.

I agree I would never expect my stuff to go under my own seat.

19B's backpack went under 17A (in front of me), his roller bag went in the OH bin. My one small bag, which could have fit under the seat went in the OH bin a few rows back.
Ah - I gotcha now. Yea I think that the space under 17A would be first come, first served here. Ive sat in 19A a few times and my stuff has always gone in the OH bin. Sometimes it has to go a couple rows back but thats the trade off Im willing to take for getting 19A and all the legroom.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
1st time flying on UA & on an EMB175 in quite awhile (CLT-DEN today)

My rollaboard is within size spec but on the larger size. Im happy to report it fit in the OH bin (sideways & I had to squeeze it a little). 1 more data point..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.