Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:53 am

I detest pink tagging. I’m either checking it or bringing it on.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by Troppy
I detest pink tagging. I’m either checking it or bringing it on.
I love the pink tagging. Tag me with pink, anytime.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by blue_can
From what I've seen the rules about bringing rolleraboards on regionals vary depending on the airline. Some I've flown have made anyone with a rollaboard pink tag and valet check the bag. Others allow them on.
Are you talking about airlines other than Delta Connection airlines? I have seen nothing to indicate it has anything to do with the operating carrier. It does have SOMETHING to do with whether it is a CRJ, CR7, or CR9. It also has a LOT TO DO with the gate agent who doesn't have any clue that different aircraft have different shapes. More than once, the same ATL GA told me I would have to pink tag my bag. I said "It is a CR9, right? It will fit on a CR9." I kid you not, she said "What's a CR9?"
Originally Posted by jrl767

agreed that 5-10 feet isn’t altogether bad, but 5-10 rows is another (and not uncommon) story
No, it isn't. Just wait for those 5 or 10 rows of people to move forward and easily get your bag. I agree that people love to swim upstream and even worse in my book....could you get that out of the bin and pass it forward over a dozen people.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Are you talking about airlines other than Delta Connection airlines? I have seen nothing to indicate it has anything to do with the operating carrier. It does have SOMETHING to do with whether it is a CRJ, CR7, or CR9. It also has a LOT TO DO with the gate agent who doesn't have any clue that different aircraft have different shapes. More than once, the same ATL GA told me I would have to pink tag my bag. I said "It is a CR9, right? It will fit on a CR9." I kid you not, she said "What's a CR9?"
Yes badly worded on my part - I meant aircraft type and yes a lot of GAs don't have a clue and want to pink tag bags when you can take them on board.
indufan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
you must hate me then.

I purchased my international roller specifically so that it can fit into RJ overheads if needed. Main reason? I don't need my expensive bag getting destroyed by baggage handlers when its 30 below and a foot of snow. I know I wouldn't be delicate with bags if I was working out there, so I don't blame them.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by djmodifyd
you must hate me then.

I purchased my international roller specifically so that it can fit into RJ overheads if needed. Main reason? I don't need my expensive bag getting destroyed by baggage handlers when its 30 below and a foot of snow. I know I wouldn't be delicate with bags if I was working out there, so I don't blame them.
Looking for a new one myself. Recommendation?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by djmodifyd
you must hate me then.

I recently purchased a Travelpro 22" with the old-school wheels (no spinners) that fits in the CRJ-700 and CRJ-900 bins sideways. I can't seem to find a link to it, but I've had good luck with 22" bags without spinner wheels fitting in both the CRJ-700 and 900. I avoid the CRJ-200, so I'm covered for most Delta trips.

Usually gate agents don't give me a hard time about bringing it on, except at LGA. That's where you take your pink tag quietly, and rip it off as you board. This topic reminds me of the SNL skit...."Oh it'll fit!"

Also, on some of the regional jets, the A-side FC bins can hold a decent-sized backpack or soft bag. This is especially true on the E-170 and E-175.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
...and sit on the single ‘A” side in FC where there is no overhead storage space are my latest pet peeve. The first three who do that wind up taking all of the available overhead space in FC.

Are your connections so tight that you can’t wait an extra 5 minutes after deplaning for the bag that you should have pink tagged and left at the gate?

Oh, wait, forgot. It’s all about you!
Has OP considered that the "Accused" was on a larger plane before connecting to the CRJ?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
...and sit on the single ‘A” side in FC where there is no overhead storage space are my latest pet peeve. The first three who do that wind up taking all of the available overhead space in FC.

Are your connections so tight that you can’t wait an extra 5 minutes after deplaning for the bag that you should have pink tagged and left at the gate?

Oh, wait, forgot. It’s all about you!
Yes, the only time I do this is when I’m on a minimum connection time and literally every minute matters. I get that it’s unfortunate, and I try to consolidate bags if I can, but I also am not going to misconnect just to preserve a few more cubic inches of overhead space. Sorry!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
OK, I own the earlier version of the Osprey. https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...ge-5765834.php
I have it in the 18" and 22". The 18" will definitely fit in the CRG overhead if I don't overstuff and I use the compression straps.
I've always pink tagged (valet check) my 22" so I'm not sure if it will fit.

The 19.5" wheeled global looks like the new version of the 18". https://www.osprey.com/us/en/categor...atures=Wheeled
Note that I have not tested this version. It appears to have a better layout than what I own.

My 18" and 22" ospreys have been used hard. I generally check my 22", sometimes I gate check it but it has been thrown around a lot.
Pricey but for the number of flights I've taken they have held up.

I route through Charlotte and American Airlines on CRJs. Sometimes I'm on 3 CRJs running up the east coast to remote locations.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
I think I'm typically on the smaller CRJ's and I've never been able to put a small womans purse in the A side overhead. The bins on the small CRJ's
on the A side are about the size of a rectangular kleenex (tissue) box.

Going back to the original poster. Typically the A side seats are taken up by business (single) travelers. They pretty much have to use the BC bins.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
The travelpro maxlite international spinner fits in the CRJ 700 and 900 bins sideways without issue. You want to watch out for the width of the bag, widebody spinners probably won't fit and you need to make sure the bag isn't too thick. Definitely can't be expanded, and don't overstuff the front pocket.
BenA likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Marylou

Looking for a new one myself. Recommendation?

I have a Tumi Alpha Bravo International carry on. LOVE IT!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
Got the Away carry-on for Christmas, and 100% love it.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
Not clear what the OP was so peeved about? For the record I have a roller board that fits nicely on the BC side and will carry it on and put it in the overheard on a 900 every time. My work bag goes under the seat but that is just because I like access to it inflight (and I am relatively short)...of course everything goes overhead if I am in the bulkhead. Yes I have had to put my roller board farther back than first class at times, have left the plane numerous times with the line for "pink tags" still forming and I had missed flights (plural) at times when I used to wait for a pink tag especially after a delayed flt (flts that others have made who didn't pink tag).

I guess if I have to be peeved about something (we all do these days right) it is the occasional times when the flt crew won't open the door until the pink tags are offloaded and ready to be picked up...in those (relatively rare) cases I am actually held up to wait for the delivery of bags where someone else clearly should have packed lighter and brought it onboard...of course I am being sarcastic - the situations are real but it doesn't really bother me as long as it remains the exception and not the rule (it happens at small airports where connections aren't a big deal)...but I need to find something to be upset about or I might get kicked off the internet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.