Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Alikaz
Providing some more info:
The first leg is operated by Compass DBA Delta Connection from YYJ to SEA on E-175, but the second leg is operated via Delta Airlines from SEA to LAS on Boeing 717.

I hope I can get my bag back in Seattle!
Unlike most CA-US flights, you will go through customs in SEA.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Thanks for your response!

I have a stop in Seattle. If I gate check my bag, will they give it to me in Seattle? I need my bag with me in Seattle.
Unfortunately your bag doesn't meet the carry-on requirements for any of Delta's aircraft, not even very close. I would not count on being able to carry it onboard.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I’ll be flying on a Delta E-175. My bag measures as below. Do you think it would fit in the overhead? I’m concerned about the Depth.

H: 22 inches W: 15 inches D: 15 inches

I appreciate your responses!
You will need to change something. 15" is just not gonna fit and is really way over the 9" limits. Even if on mainline flights.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even with larger OHs on some mainline aircraft, 6" is 2/3 above the limit. Any GA simply eyeballing the boarding line will pluck you out.

In your specific case, it is largely academic because one way or another, you need to schlep the bag through Customs at SEA.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
People who bring a roller bag and a backpack on a CRJ.

...and sit on the single ‘A” side in FC where there is no overhead storage space are my latest pet peeve. The first three who do that wind up taking all of the available overhead space in FC.

Are your connections so tight that you can’t wait an extra 5 minutes after deplaning for the bag that you should have pink tagged and left at the gate?

Oh, wait, forgot. It’s all about you!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have just as much right to put their rollaboard in the overhead as anyone else; are you saying they're also putting their personal item in the overhead? That's a separate issue really...
HDQDD and eastindywalrus like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:12 am

@EarlVolFan I'm afraid you're off base. Every passenger has the same carry-on allowance. It doesn't change based on where you sit. The overhead space is first come first serve.

"All about you" <- also off-base, in fact your gripe in this post is about you as you want people to sacrifice their own allowance while you sacrifice nothing.
cre95, SFO777, tangfish and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
...and sit on the single ‘A” side in FC where there is no overhead storage space are my latest pet peeve. The first three who do that wind up taking all of the available overhead space in FC.

Are your connections so tight that you can’t wait an extra 5 minutes after deplaning for the bag that you should have pink tagged and left at the gate?

Oh, wait, forgot. It’s all about you!
So I'm confused as to what the "A" seat has to do with it. If they have two bags (roll-a-board or large rolling laptop bag that can't fit under the seat + personal item), the personal item should go under the seat in front of them but that should be case whether they're sitting in A, B, or C (unless in the bulkhead) so what is your gripe specifically with people in the A seats doing this and not just passengers in general who do this?
nogophers and MarkP24 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
So I'm confused as to what the "A" seat has to do with it. If they have two bags (roll-a-board or large rolling laptop bag that can't fit under the seat + personal item), the personal item should go under the seat in front of them but that should be case whether they're sitting in A, B, or C (unless in the bulkhead) so what is your gripe specifically with people in the A seats doing this and not just passengers in general who do this?
Because apparently according to OP, it's implied that the overhead space you're allocated is ONLY the ones above your seats. Therefore since there is no OH space above the "A" seats THEY aren't allowed to use the OH because they are taking the OH space away from OP who sits in BC, and sense it is over THEIR head THEY are entitled to the OH space.

Want OH space? Board earlier...you can get to the front of the boarding line too! Or put it further back in the cabin, after all it's only a 5 minute wait for other passengers to go by then you can walk back there to grab your bag. OR you could be one of the people who are so impatient they force themselves up stream to get to the OH space instead of just waiting a couple minutes for everyone else to deplane..
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I’m talking about regional jets. Every rollaboard should be valet tagged on a CRJ, IMO. There’s not enough room for rollers and personal items for everyone.

No one is ENTITLED to overhead space, but the apparently some folks feel that they can push to the front of the line with their roller, overstuffed backback and jacket and take up most of the overhead space, when the courteous thing to do would be to valet check their rollers.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Because apparently according to OP, it's implied that the overhead space you're allocated is ONLY the ones above your seats. Therefore since there is no OH space above the "A" seats THEY aren't allowed to use the OH because they are taking the OH space away from OP who sits in BC, and sense it is over THEIR head THEY are entitled to the OH space.

Want OH space? Board earlier...you can get to the front of the boarding line too! Or put it further back in the cabin, after all it's only a 5 minute wait for other passengers to go by then you can walk back there to grab your bag. OR you could be one of the people who are so impatient they force themselves up stream to get to the OH space instead of just waiting a couple minutes for everyone else to deplane..
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

No one is ENTITLED to overhead space, but the apparently some folks feel that they can push to the front of the line with their roller, overstuffed backback and jacket and take up most of the overhead space, when the courteous thing to do would be to valet check their rollers.
If it's within 22x14x9 and it fits on the plane, that's the end of it. There's no discourtesy in bringing it on.

The courteous thing is never to demand something of others when it's not expected of them.

As to the complaint about pushing to the front of the line, that's a separate issue. Gates are crowded spaces and the line is often ill-defined. As long as you're boarding in the appropriate zone, and you're not literally pushing others out of the way to get to the front, there's not really an addressable problem.
indufan, tangfish, HDQDD and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Which has nothing to do with the “A” seat on the CRJ. Regardless of what seat someone is in, if they have a roller-bag and a personal item, they should place the personal item under the seat in front of them. But if their bag fits in the OH Bin, then there’s no need to valet check that bag. So other than ranting about pax who put all of their bags in the OH bin, I’m still not sure what your complaint is here.

If you’re in F and this is stressing you out, have a Woodford or have a Rum & Coke or have a glass of wine and relax.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I have the bag I have because it fits on a CR9. As to the "extra 5 minutes"....on what planet? 15 minutes....20 minutes...sometimes a half hour. I can't even begin to tell you how many connections I have made because I didn't pink tag my bag. No, I don't book them that close but delays happen. Doesn't matter anyway. It fits, I will use it.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether a bag must be valet-checked is a matter between DL and the passenger. If DL lets the passenger carry the two bags on, he can find space for them. If an FA wants to require that his second bag, the personal item, go under the seat in front of him, that is between the FA and the passenger.

It's basically tough luck. DL permits more carry-ons than there is space and does not do enough about it on small aircraft. Most AA regional carriers prohibit anything with wheels, no matter what size. It's all gate-checked. DL chooses not to do so.

But, you have chosen DL, so you play be its rules.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I want to get mad but this thread is not going to do it.
angra, emrdoc, Janus777 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.