Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK Transfer from T2 to T4 (non-connecting flight)

Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Hello;
I will be flying from CHS to JFK and most likely landing on T2 (acc. to my researches), collecting my luggages as i have separate tickets and transferring to T4 to check in to my international flight. The time the first flight is scheduled to land and take off time of the international flight is 3h 15 mins. My question is: can i make it? would i run into trouble? Any tips to expedite my transfer?
Thank you all!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Are you continuing from JFK on a carrier to which Delta can thru-check your bag?

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=3Cforme;30767027]Are you continuing from JFK on a carrier to which Delta can thru-check your bag?

Hello;
Yes, my first ticket is direct flight with Delta (SkyMiles award ticket) + my second ticket is regularly purchased, also through Delta with 1 stopover (although after stopover flight is operated by KLM). All in all, they are all Delta tickets. Does that mean, now, they can check my all my luggages from CHS, my departure point, all the way up to my final destination? If so, do i just transfer from T2 to T4 like i'm on a connecting flight? or do i handle anything extra?
Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yes, ask Delta rep at CHS to check through to your final destination.

And, 3 hours and 15 minutes between your flights at JFK is an "eternity". Short of your domestic gets cancelled or a long delay, you will be fine.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:00 am

You'll be fine. It's my recollection that there is an airside bus that runs between T2 and T4, so that you do not have to re-clear security.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[QUOTE=olea12;30767108]
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Are you continuing from JFK on a carrier to which Delta can thru-check your bag?

Hello;
Yes, my first ticket is direct flight with Delta (SkyMiles award ticket) + my second ticket is regularly purchased, also through Delta with 1 stopover (although after stopover flight is operated by KLM). All in all, they are all Delta tickets. Does that mean, now, they can check my all my luggages from CHS, my departure point, all the way up to my final destination? If so, do i just transfer from T2 to T4 like i'm on a connecting flight? or do i handle anything extra?
Thank you.
If you have a genuine stopover (over 24 hours) on the second ticket, DL will only check the bag through (across both tickets) to the stopover point, not your final destination. Is this what you mean or do you really just have a connection to KLM on the second ticket?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You can also walk between T2 and T4 after you exit T2 baggage claim -- it takes maybe 10-15 minutes? Nice way to stretch your legs
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by pfthrowaway21315
You'll be fine. It's my recollection that there is an airside bus that runs between T2 and T4, so that you do not have to re-clear security.
There most certainly is the JFK Jitney. This will be an option for the OP assuming the bag is tagged to his/her final destination.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
There most certainly is the JFK Jitney. This will be an option for the OP assuming the bag is tagged to his/her final destination.
Yes, as long as the OP checks their bags through to the final destination there is no need to leave security. Hop on the Jitney and go from T2 to T4.
It's quick, it's easy.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by olea12
Thank you.
Yep - just have a printout of the second ticket (JFK-AMS-XXX) with you at CHS. The check-in agent will then be able to print a tag that will check it all the way through to your final destination. No need to claim it at JFK and no need to leave security.

You may have issues checking-in for the second itinerary (JFK-AMS-XXX) but again, you won't need to leave security. Just go to a service center after deplaning in JFK and check-in for your next flight. Even if you can't check-in at CHS for the JFK-AMS-XXX itinerary, the agent will still be able to tag your bag all the way through.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL, B6, Hilton, Marriott, LaQuinta
Originally Posted by Duke787
You can also walk between T2 and T4 after you exit T2 baggage claim -- it takes maybe 10-15 minutes? Nice way to stretch your legs
Yes but you would need to re clear security. Why would you want to do that? Especially at T4
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by awone123
Yes but you would need to re clear security. Why would you want to do that? Especially at T4
Agree, plus you can do lots and lots of walking in T4 if you really want to stretch your legs.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Agree, plus you can do lots and lots of walking in T4 if you really want to stretch your legs.
Only if walking is required to get to Shake Shack.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Make sure you keep a VERY close eye on where your connecting flight gate will be. I had to keep changing terminals between T4 and T2 several times between arriving on EK and transferring to DL to get home. But the day before there was a huge snowstorm in JFK so that may have figured into the situation. There were NO PA announcements whatsoever when my gate changed back from T2 to T4 and NO gate agents to help in T2. But at least I stayed airside after dropping my luggage off to DL.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

@MSPeconomist Albeit 6 hrs in AMS, it's just a connection so based on your word, i would think they are gonna check my bags all the way to final destination.

Last edited by olea12; Feb 12, 2019 at 7:56 pm Reason: added a callout name

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.