Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I asked a passenger to put away his laptop

I asked a passenger to put away his laptop

Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Just got off of 2686 from PHL-DTW, 717, sitting in the exit row 17A. Person in 17B was already in seat when I boarded, I'm Silver. Taxied out, the whole time he was working on his laptop, opened up, on his lap.
As we turn onto the runway, he is still working away on his laptop. I said, "we are on the runway now, could you please put that away?" He said, "They didn't make an announcement to put it away." I said it's the rules and it's common sense. Then he closed it and left it on his lap. I asked him to put it away, he said he'll leave it on his lap. I said I don't want it go flying if anything happens. He left it on his lap and I gave up.
Did I go overboard on this? We ended up 45 minutes late, if he had a connection, I hope he missed it.
You weren’t wrong for addressing it but you should have addressed it before you were turning onto the runway to line-up for takeoff. If you were on the runway it was a little late for him to stand up and put it in the OH bin or pull out a case from under the seat and start fiddling with it as the aircraft is starting its takeoff roll. Him getting up to put it away or pull out a laptop bag and having been more items out at that point would have made it a more dangerous situation than him just holding his laptop on his lap.

The rule about asking people to put laptops away during taxi, takeoff, and landing is reasonable but what doesn’t help is people have legitimate gripes/“what about...” for things that could be just as dangerous as a laptop that aren’t required to be put away. I’ve been reading books and even textbooks which are just as heavy and thus would be just as dangerous as a flying projectile in a rejected takeoff or collision on the runway or taxiway.
OHDL1 likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Feb 11, 2019 at 10:57 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Their problem, not yours. Not your place to police others, strangers especially.
cre95, satman40 and Kevin AA like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:07 pm

Just got off of 2686 from PHL-DTW, 717, sitting in the exit row 17A. Person in 17B was already in seat when I boarded, I'm Silver. Taxied out, the whole time he was working on his laptop, opened up, on his lap.
As we turn onto the runway, he is still working away on his laptop. I said, "we are on the runway now, could you please put that away?" He said, "They didn't make an announcement to put it away." I said it's the rules and it's common sense. Then he closed it and left it on his lap. I asked him to put it away, he said he'll leave it on his lap. I said I don't want it go flying if anything happens. He left it on his lap and I gave up.
Did I go overboard on this? We ended up 45 minutes late, if he had a connection, I hope he missed it.
Row 19 to 21 are exit rows on the 717 If they are blocking your path to the exit, it is definitely worth it to say something, otherwise its not your problem.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
The FAA actually addresses this:
Why do I have to stow a laptop and not a tablet?
If there's an emergency, larger and heavier items such as standard laptops could impede evacuation of the airplane. This is the same reason tray tables must be stowed and seat backs must be upright.

They also say this:
What should I do if the crew says to turn off electronics and the person next to me doesn't do it?
You could politely remind the person of the crew's announcement, but above all, avoid a confrontation.​​​​​​
And as most things, it is outdated and dosn't make sense. "Standard laptop?" What does that mean anymore? Laptops aren't all heavy, and the newest ones are definitely nowhere close to 10 pounds. Easiest moveable with one hand for almost anyone.
Flight attendants make people put their seat upbright because it impedes evacuation? What about the back row, if they are all reclined isn't that fine? Well, for safety ... It doesn't make any sense.
In fact, most of the rules don't actually make any sense, nor make any difference. Except that they let power hungry people have something to do.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Just ask him if he’s seen all the new studies that link laptops and testicular shrinkage.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:46 pm

To all the people saying that the OP went overboard and the should mind their own business, the point is that in the event of an accident or an aborted take off, that laptop could go flying, hit someone on the head and potentially kills someone. Put simply, it is my business.

I just don't get why some people are serial rule breakers and just have to be general a**holes all the time.

If the rule says put the laptop away, then just put it away.

I also blame the FAs for not dealing with this situation / no noticing that the guy had his laptop out.
bruceba, kale73, Dave510 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: DL DM
I would've definitely hit the call button. Very shocked no FA noticed this during their final checks. I might be a bit biased as I am an airline Captain myself, but that object can very easily be turned into a projectile in the event of an emergency. On a very recent flight I hit "severe" turbulence for the first time in my flying career. It's no joke. If that were to be encountered on departure, windshear, or even an emergency causing or requiring non-standard maneuvers the effects could be detrimental. Sure the odds are low, but it's best to be prepared for anything.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Flight attendants make people put their seat upright because it impedes evacuation? What about the back row, if they are all reclined isn't that fine? Well, for safety ... It doesn't make any sense.
In fact, most of the rules don't actually make any sense, nor make any difference. Except that they let power hungry people have something to do.
It’s not just about the row behind you though that is one of the primary factors. It’s also about you egressing from your own seat (easier to do when it’s fully upright) and for your body to be in the best possible position for withstanding whiplash (or minimizing the damage) should a hard deceleration (or worse) occur during takeoff or landing. The seat is also not locked when it’s not in the upright position. You may not think any of this makes much of a difference, and maybe in economy it seems like very little since the recline is minimal but it’s still a difference.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:24 am

I think probably the OP went overboard, but then I think the projectile argument is sound.

Though I wish people wouldn't work on planes. I'm sure it's important, but really... it's one of the only times you get to switch off from being connected all the time (unless you get free internet access on board )
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by stealthpilot

You sound like a second rate middle manager who worries about the wrong things and accomplished nothing. This whole story is a great example of that.
Sounds like you are striving to become a middle manager. No reason to be passive aggressive behind a computer screen which is probably in the third rate category.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I have no problem you have a laptop on your lap.
I will never "wish" someone to miss is connection (even he is a moron).

In the present case my concern is a safety one (and not about the laptop can become a projectile), in this particular case the person are in the EXIT row...
If an emergency happen, and we must evacuate the plane quickly, what you thing the person will do with is laptop ?
a) put it "gently" on his seat to be sure it will not "block" other pax ?
b) throw it away (the laptop will fall on the exit row floor).

I think everyone have an good idea what can happen in case of and emergency evacuation , if a person "slide" on a laptop on the floor just in front the the emergency exit door...

If the pax want to win the Darwin price because he want to keep the laptop on him, it is his business (example: if the person are on the window seat and NOT in the emergency row).
But at the moment he sit in an exit row, he put many pax security in "play".

If the person really want to keep is laptop close to him, he can put it behind him (between is back and the seat, in this case the laptop will go on the seat in case of an emergency evacuation).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I would be concerned. If the plane has to emergency stop that computer is a vary large projectile to fly around into someone and even be a blocking hazard.

I had a time a few years back where someone put their laptop on the open seat next to them as we were landing, on touch down the pilot braked hard and the laptop flew off the seat and slid 3 rows infront of us.

If anything it's a safety hazard.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:05 am

Did I go overboard on this?
You didn't go far enough. You should have grabbed the laptop and beat him in the head with it. Then you could say, "See that's what could happen if we have an accident"
ChuckieB and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by WWads
You didn't go far enough. I don't want to get killed by a flying laptop if there's an aborted takeoff or turbulence during takeoff/landing.
Do you tell someone with a lap top baby the same? if you don't then you were wrong
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
And as most things, it is outdated and dosn't make sense. "Standard laptop?" What does that mean anymore? Laptops aren't all heavy, and the newest ones are definitely nowhere close to 10 pounds. Easiest moveable with one hand for almost anyone.
Flight attendants make people put their seat upbright because it impedes evacuation? What about the back row, if they are all reclined isn't that fine? Well, for safety ... It doesn't make any sense.
All "back rows" recline? Something new?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.