Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I asked a passenger to put away his laptop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC

Just got off of 2686 from PHL-DTW, 717, sitting in the exit row 17A. Person in 17B was already in seat when I boarded, I'm Silver. Taxied out, the whole time he was working on his laptop, opened up, on his lap.
As we turn onto the runway, he is still working away on his laptop. I said, "we are on the runway now, could you please put that away?" He said, "They didn't make an announcement to put it away." I said it's the rules and it's common sense. Then he closed it and left it on his lap. I asked him to put it away, he said he'll leave it on his lap. I said I don't want it go flying if anything happens. He left it on his lap and I gave up.
Did I go overboard on this? We ended up 45 minutes late, if he had a connection, I hope he missed it.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Feb 11, 2019 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
I'm young so I don't really know, but did people dwell on the minutiae of life and seek validation that they are right in every minor confrontation before the Internet came along?
BearX220, Taz, sonofzeus and 30 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
You didn't go far enough. I don't want to get killed by a flying laptop if there's an aborted takeoff or turbulence during takeoff/landing.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:18 pm

I wouldn’t have cared at all, so I would never have mentioned it.
Spiff, JBauer, CO-PLAT and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Just got off of 2686 from PHL-DTW, 717, sitting in the exit row 17A. Person in 17B was already in seat when I boarded, I'm Silver. Taxied out, the whole time he was working on his laptop, opened up, on his lap.
As we turn onto the runway, he is still working away on his laptop. I said, "we are on the runway now, could you please put that away?" He said, "They didn't make an announcement to put it away." I said it's the rules and it's common sense. Then he closed it and left it on his lap. I asked him to put it away, he said he'll leave it on his lap. I said I don't want it go flying if anything happens. He left it on his lap and I gave up.
Did I go overboard on this? We ended up 45 minutes late, if he had a connection, I hope he missed it.
From my point of view, yes, you did. My understanding is that you are supposed to have your tray put away and seat upright. I don’t believe there are regulations preventing you from holding an item on your lap. Let that be a phone or laptop.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by WWads
You didn't go far enough. I don't want to get killed by a flying laptop if there's an aborted takeoff or turbulence during takeoff/landing.
I know people also refer to “bottles becoming projectiles”. I agree that loose objects can come flying around so I grab water bottles rather than let them sit unanttended but I don’t over dramatize them. Just, use common sense. Hold loose items so they don’t fly around. No need to exaggerate.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:37 pm

I would have hit the flight attendant call button and had them deal with it. They are the cop. Not me.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Laptop. Lap baby.
Not even sure why running a laptop offline should be verboten. It's the rule so it is what it is, but still.
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
I'm young so I don't really know, but did people dwell on the minutiae of life and seek validation that they are right in every minor confrontation before the Internet came along?
There was the guy named Socrates, he was totally famous for it, but he lived along time ago so you probably haven't heard of him. He even lived before telephones.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Wimsta
There was the guy named Socrates, he was totally famous for it, but he lived along time ago so you probably haven't heard of him. He even lived before telephones.
but don't drink the tea like he did
MountainGuy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I would not have said a thing,

I have taken off without my seat belt fastened, and hit the top of the plane,

I have forgot to set the DG, only to set it as we lifted off the ground,

You would be surprised what will still be going forward in a quick stop...

I have never seen a quick stop in over 2 million miles.

next thing a cup of water will drop..
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I would have hit the flight attendant call button and had them deal with it. They are the cop. Not me.
+1

I have called the FA via button when I see a reclined seat at take off & landing. And yes I would do the same for a laptop in lap.
Ever seen FAs asking ladies to place their purses under the seat ?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Laptop. Lap baby.
Not even sure why running a laptop offline should be verboten. It's the rule so it is what it is, but still.
I am pretty sure that in theory, anything that might become a projectile during an accident is supposed to be secured. I would imagine that in the event of a late aborted takeoff and runway overrun, most folks' instinct would be to try to protect themselves, and not to reflexively clutch a 5 pound laptop. And should the plane hit something solid at 40mph, for example, it is likely that the majority of the passengers would get away with minor injuries. Except the guy who gets hit in the back of the head with that laptop, which is going to exert 267.5 foot pounds of force on the next thing it comes in contact with.

That said, I suspect that in practice, this amounts to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic - but there is also the concept of "control what you can control", so that you have fewer variables to deal with when the poop hits the fan.
MSPeconomist and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 360, AA Platinum for Life, Marriott Platinum Premier for Life, United Platinum, Hertz
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
You sound like someone who worries about the wrong things and accomplished nothing. This whole story is a great example of that.

You were concerned about the laptop and wasted energy trying to order the guy to put it away, but the flight took off and landed successfully so the risk you were trying to manage never manifested. Further he didn’t put the laptop away, so what did you accomplish? You should have either ignored it or asked to be seated elsewhere. The latter would have accomplished something.
Spiff, hockeystl, cre95 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by stealthpilot; Feb 12, 2019 at 6:35 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
+1 on the call button suggestion, but you need to pull it as soon as you are towed from the gate. If you are already rolling on a taxiway, it might not get answered by then.

And they do make an announcement on every DL flight that laptops must be stored in your carry-on luggage, not in the seatback pocket, nor on the floor. So if the seatback pocket is not good enough, then your grubby little hands are not good enough either. It is not exaggerating that if one does have an emergency during takeoff and landing, said passenger will probably drop that item in order to do something else like assume bracing position, or grab an oxygen mask (perhaps for a high altitude airport operation). And at that moment, the item could cause injury to someone else.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.