Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I asked a passenger to put away his laptop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I asked a passenger to put away his laptop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:25 pm

Why not keep to yourself and let the FA handle the situation if they feel it is necessary
MarkP24 and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:39 pm

It's never good to get into it with other pax.

Easy solution has been to ring the call button, describe the situation to the FA, and that you'd like to avoid law enforcement intervention or a costly diversion.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Just got off of 2686 from PHL-DTW, 717, sitting in the exit row 17A. Person in 17B was already in seat when I boarded, I'm Silver. Taxied out, the whole time he was working on his laptop, opened up, on his lap.
As we turn onto the runway, he is still working away on his laptop. I said, "we are on the runway now, could you please put that away?" He said, "They didn't make an announcement to put it away." I said it's the rules and it's common sense. Then he closed it and left it on his lap. I asked him to put it away, he said he'll leave it on his lap. I said I don't want it go flying if anything happens. He left it on his lap and I gave up.
Did I go overboard on this? We ended up 45 minutes late, if he had a connection, I hope he missed it.
A one in a baziillion chance that the laptop will injure you? Get a grip.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
And the silly part is, they have no problem with people using tablets. I have seen folks use iPad Pro type tablets with attached keyboard, that is sometimes bigger than a laptop. So that whole ‘put your laptops away’ never made sense to me if we were truly worried about projectiles. Just sayin...
cre95 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
LOL,

Here is how I would tackle this. I might tell the person to please put the laptop away as we are in take-off. The person would most likely agree if asked politely.

I wouldn't expect from the passenger to get up off his seat and store the laptop away safely in his luggage because it's too much work and hassle to move things up in an overhead bin while the plane is close to take-off. The person would mostly keep the laptop close to him as it is a valuable and its a LAP-top..... It's perfectly fine this person keeps it on his lap. In fact, I find it natural that he conserve it on his lap.

Life is too short to mind about these tiny nuances.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I wouldn't have said anything.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
It's the FA job to police people, not your fellow passengers.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
MYOB.
Spiff, satman40 and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You went overboard. 'nuff said.
cre95, Kevin AA and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:03 pm

I have been on flights where others have used laptops while taxiing to the runway.

These "others" are usually young folks who want to show off how busy they are at their "prestigious" jobs which entail nothing more than Excel and PowerPoint monkeying.

I never say anything, but I do judge.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by arunhn
And the silly part is, they have no problem with people using tablets. I have seen folks use iPad Pro type tablets with attached keyboard, that is sometimes bigger than a laptop. So that whole ‘put your laptops away’ never made sense to me if we were truly worried about projectiles. Just sayin...

The FAA actually addresses this:

Why do I have to stow a laptop and not a tablet?
If there's an emergency, larger and heavier items such as standard laptops could impede evacuation of the airplane. This is the same reason tray tables must be stowed and seat backs must be upright.
They also say this:

What should I do if the crew says to turn off electronics and the person next to me doesn't do it?
You could politely remind the person of the crew's announcement, but above all, avoid a confrontation.​​​​​​
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
These "others" are usually young folks who want to show off how busy they are at their "prestigious" jobs which entail nothing more than Excel and PowerPoint monkeying.
I seriously doubt many young folks are inventing busy work in order to impress their seat mate. I'm sure they'd much rather be napping or watching a movie.
cre95, jinglish, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I would have hit the flight attendant call button and had them deal with it. They are the cop. Not me.
If you hit the call button after the pilot says "flight attendants, please be seated for departure", no FA is going to get out of their seat unless there's at least a pint of blood.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: none
Sounds like the kind of people who get themselves elected/appointed to the PTA council or the Home Owners Association board so they can tell others what they can and can't do.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Perfectly acceptable to mention something like that. Odds are extremely rare that it would cause a problem. But if it does, the problem could be extreme. I have a goal of not dying in any way that will cause my friends to laugh at my corpse. Hit by a stranger's laptop during a turbulent takeoff would fit the bill.

I once asked my seatmate to stop texting during landing. He was babbling to someone for the entire approach from 10K down. I finally asked (politely) if he could just wait a couple of minutes until the plane was on the ground; my internal reasoning was that the odds of it being a problem were infinitesimal but the problem would be catastrophic. He waited and we both got off the plane with no hard feelings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.