Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice on trans Atlantic ticket...probably will need to change return date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond

Greetings,
I need to buy my son a ticket to Europe leaving in March...the problem is we are not sure of his return date. Should I just guess and pay the change fee when I know the exact date or buy a refundable fare for the return knowing I will change it? Any other thoughts? Buying a one way fare is extremely high and does not make sense to me. Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The problem isn't just the change fee - will the return date meet the advance purchase and length of stay restrictions? One possible solution is buying a discounted R/T with a potentially useful return date, and then a one-way Europe-USA if needed.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:27 pm

Buy the farthest out return date possible and then pay one change fee when you know the return date.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Buy the farthest out return date possible and then pay one change fee when you know the return date.
Yes, but.

Be mindful of AP requirements and the like. Minimal change fee is generally $300 and if you add that to a significant fare difference, you may be shelling out a lot of money if this is not done in a timely manner.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
does it have to be a purchased ticket? can you use an award ticket so you have more flexibility to adjust the dates (going off your profile that says youre diamond)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The problem isn't just the change fee - will the return date meet the advance purchase and length of stay restrictions? One possible solution is buying a discounted R/T with a potentially useful return date, and then a one-way Europe-USA if needed.
Thanks for all the advice. We are aware of stay restrictions. He has applied for a residence card in Luxembourg but we will not know for about three or four weeks if he gets it. He will stay oversears longer than 90 days, but part of that time will be out of the schengen area. Last year when we did this we purchased the return for 112 days after he flew there...again he was out of the schengen zone for 26 of those days so he did meet the stay rules, but Delta gave us a bunch of grief and would not let him board the flight to Europe. I had to get a miles ticket return within 90 days then once he was in Europe we cancelled it. His return this year will probably be about 110 days after he gets there with e few weeks in Croatia to meet the schengen stay requirements.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatt
does it have to be a purchased ticket? can you use an award ticket so you have more flexibility to adjust the dates (going off your profile that says youre diamond)
This is a good thought. He is platinum and wants to stay at that level so we were planning on buying the ticket...but we could use miles as I and he both have plenty. Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by tbeard
Greetings,
Buying a one way fare is extremely high and does not make sense to me. Thanks
Suggest a bit more research or speaking with a travel agent. DL, AF and others make affordable one-ways available to Europe through consolidators.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Feb 11, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Suggest a bit more research or speaking with a travel agent. DL, AF and others make affordable one-ways available to Europe through consolidators.
This is a good thought. He is platinum and wants to stay at that level so we were planning on buying the ticket...but we could use miles as I and he both have plenty. Thanks
​​​​​​​be careful about consolidator fares, as they may not actually be eligible for mileage accrual
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

be careful about consolidator fares, as they may not actually be eligible for mileage accrual
Most are eligible these days, and it should be easy to confirm before purchasing the ticket.

Though, as I think about this, how realistic is the intent to stay platinum? Is a single flight to Europe going to help if based overseas for an extended period? Holding out to buy a Skyteam ticket for jaunts around Europe will likely be far more expensive than using the array of low-cost carriers Europe enjoys to maximize travel opportunities while there. Maybe get a $250-300 ticket on Norwegian, Level, Wow, XL, etc and call it a day (unless you see value in using miles or the marginal credit toward maintaining platinum on DL really makes sense).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Buying a one way fare is extremely high and does not make sense to me. Thanks
Don't dismiss that idea - some Europe-USA airport pairs on a ticket bought in Europe can be pretty affordable (although not necessarily on Delta). You already recognize the value of traveling with a return ticket. Something like LUX-DEN can be bought for less than Euro 600.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some fares don't permit you to stay beyond 30 or 90 days, so be careful not to buy one of those.

Since DMs can cancel/redeposit award tickets for free (but not avoid the T-72 rules) I'd get award tickets to use for visa applications and to use as proof that he'll depart within 90 days.

You're probably very aware of this, but be careful about the schengen rules about maximum days within a year as well as the 90 day maximum at one time without a visa. If he did 90 days not long ago, this could be an issue. There could also be restrictions about the purpose of the visit without a visa. To me, saying that one will spend 90 days in Luxembourg for tourism purposes seems like a stretch. If the true purpose is charity work, religious activities, significant other, etc. that might cause a visa to be required even for stays under 90 days.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Often1
Be mindful of AP requirements and the like.
IME the AP restrictions need not apply after you've flown the outbound, or am I mistaken and just got lucky?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
IME the AP restrictions need not apply after you've flown the outbound, or am I mistaken and just got lucky?
You're right on this. Season/day of travel/specific flight restrictions, and of course, booking class inventory, of the purchased fare do apply. Even if you change the return city or are forced into buying a higher booking class due to availability, you're generally entitled to a look-back to the original date of purchase with respect to fares for the revised itinerary.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
You're right on this. Season/day of travel/specific flight restrictions, and of course, booking class inventory, of the purchased fare do apply. Even if you change the return city or are forced into buying a higher booking class due to availability, you're generally entitled to a look-back to the original date of purchase with respect to fares for the revised itinerary.
Minimum and maximum stay restrictions would also continue to apply to the rebooked itinerary. We're used to looking for the minimum stay requirements, but there typically are maximum stay requirements too, with traditionally only FULL Y allowing very long stays (up to a year). I've seen 30 and 90 days on a lot of international fares recently.

I wonder whether the student travel agency (on line and on many college campuses, but apparently open to all students under age 26) would have tickets on better terms since they do a lot of the study abroad travel arrangements.
NYC Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.